Dumbarton V Queens

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Ours is 105x68 I believe, Palmerston is 112x73 - so it's a bit shorter, but not massively thinner. 

When I saw that question I just knew you would have the sizes of both pitches to compare, I was just wondering if SD was going to beat you to it. Sad b*****d.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Moonster said:

When I saw that question I just knew you would have the sizes of both pitches to compare, I was just wondering if SD was going to beat you to it. Sad b*****d.

Ideally what would've happened is that I would've posted ours and SD would've posted Queens' within seconds of each other, but I haven't nailed the telegraphic communication between anoraks yet so I felt it was my duty.

Genuine question:
Is it an unusually tight park in terms of its dimensions?

Ours is 112m x 73m and Dumbarton's is 105m x 68m*. I didn't think it looked particularly tight when I was up earlier in the season and didn't think 2.5m off either side was a catastrophic loss. But I checked Brechin's (who appear to have the tightest pitch imaginable) and their width is 67m*. So I suppose it's fair to say it is quite a narrow pitch at Dumbarton.

* Going by Scottish Football Ground Guide.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ours is 112m x 73m and Dumbarton's is 105m x 68m*. I didn't think it looked particularly tight when I was up earlier in the season and didn't think 2.5m off either side was a catastrophic loss. But I checked Brechin's (who appear to have the tightest pitch imaginable) and their width is 67m*. So I suppose it's fair to say it is quite a narrow pitch at Dumbarton.

* Going by Scottish Football Ground Guide.

I think the numbers are given in yards.

Would mean the corner flags at Dumbarton are 12 yards from the penalty area and ours are 14.5 yards.

I think Cowdenbeath's is one ofthe narrowest at 66 yards, with only 11 yards from the corner to the edge of the penalty box.

I think the numbers are given in yards.
Would mean the corner flags at Dumbarton are 12 yards from the penalty area and ours are 14.5 yards.
I think Cowdenbeath's is one ofthe narrowest at 66 yards, with only 11 yards from the corner to the edge of the penalty box.

Right enough :lol:

26 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Ideally what would've happened is that I would've posted ours and SD would've posted Queens' within seconds of each other, but I haven't nailed the telegraphic communication between anoraks yet so I felt it was my duty.

I dont think ours is 112 x 73 anyway. Those sizes are way out of date and were before conversion to a 3G surface. I have the exact dimensions in the office. Will check tomorrow.

Confusingly, the Ground Guide gives ours in yards and Dumbarton's in metres. So, it would be 74 yards, making it wider than Palmerston. Might be a mistake in the Guide, though.

SPFL website has Dumbarton 98m x 67m  (107 yards x 73 yards)

And Palmerston 105m x 65m (115 yards x 71 yards) approx.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The plot thickens.

I've bunged in an edit to show the figures on the SPFL website which presumably are the right ones. They are given in metres, presumably because they're not allowed to use yards until we tell the EU to stuff their metric shite.

Confusingly, the Ground Guide gives ours in yards and Dumbarton's in metres. So, it would be 74 yards, making it wider than Palmerston. Might be a mistake in the Guide, though.

Aye, strange. They must be pretty far out as I don't think it's anywhere close to being as narrow as Glebe Park.

13 minutes ago, Flash said:

I've bunged in an edit to show the figures on the SPFL website which presumably are the right ones. They are given in metres, presumably because they're not allowed to use yards until we tell the EU to stuff their metric shite.

I would imagine the SPFL ones are correct. I do an annual return to the League that includes dimensions. I expect they take it from that. From memory I am pretty sure it is 105m long anyway.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Surely the only thing between anoraks is static electricity?

1 hour ago, Flash said:

metric shite.

Metric originated way back in Napoleon's time. Granted he did try to unify Europe in his own distinctive style but, whatever, these are the units of measurement schoolchildren in this country have been taught in since well before the UK joined the EU. I know, I was there.

9 hours ago, rockson said:

Metric originated way back in Napoleon's time. Granted he did try to unify Europe in his own distinctive style but, whatever, these are the units of measurement schoolchildren in this country have been taught in since well before the UK joined the EU. I know, I was there.

I was joking.

14 hours ago, Flash said:

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I would imagine the SPFL ones are correct. I do an annual return to the League that includes dimensions. I expect they take it from that. From memory I am pretty sure it is 105m long anyway.

105m x 65m is correct.

Archived