Canary Islands

welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2023 at 16:13, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Heading to Lanzarote on Friday for a week first time there, see what the big attraction actually is.

Looking forward to the "members only" recreational clubs 😁

It's sunny and cheap. Enjoy.

• 4 months later...

Going to San Agustin with the autistic lad that I look after. 
He is a Liverpool fan and the Caribo Cup Final is on while we are away. Do any P&Bers know of bars that would be likely to show the game on that Sunday, preferably not a Chelsea bar. 

On 14/04/2023 at 13:41, welshbairn said:

Scrub that, booked up for Santa Cruz on La Palma, anyone been there?

Bump.

Booked this nearly a year ago and beginning to wish I hadn't, I'd rather have waited till the end of the football season and I'll be spending a fortune on the Euros in a few months. Hopefully someone's got something nice to say about the place. Off on Feb 21st.

^^^(First World problems thread for this pish...)

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Had also posted in the Euro 2024 travel plans thread, but have opted to just book up finally - 11 nights in Puerto de la Cruz during the Group Stages of the Euros.

On my lonesome which will be an odd experience (anyone out of my limitied social circle I tentatively checked with either i) hummed and hawwed about going for that length of time as it'd mean using a fair chunk of their holiday time or ii) has family/girlfriend commitments that mean "aye honey im just going with my pal to spain for 11 days" is a conversation they can't be arsed with the hassle over, which I get), but tbh sunshine, dipping in the water and a few drinks while watching the group stages has a huge appeal even if its just me myself and I.

Guy in my work that regularly goes holidays (sometimes group, sometimes wee single getaways) says it can still be great, basically just pick and choose whatever you fancy rather than potentially getting dragged to places/activities that you maybe can't be arsed with.

This place is right near where I've gone for too, already doing my nosey on Tripadvisor at whats nearby! Iberian risotto sounds class, unf

https://www.thefork.co.uk/restaurant/ibericos-gastro-bar-r819307

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Posted (edited)

At the risk of spamming, but its a whole separate point - about £800 for flights, acommodation (bed, breakfast and balcony), hold luggage, travel insurance (booked separately), shuttle service...

For 11 nights my gut feeling is that's pretty good value and I've not been fleeced? It's the first time I've tried booking a holiday myself, only ever been friends/family/partner that has booked stuff before, was ridiculous getting lost among the dozens of similar websites 😅

edit: I suppose time will tell, but it feels like a hard kind of... tricky thing to guage & it's a pain in the hoop trying to do due diligence; tripadvisor generally says the place I've booked up is decent enough, but its a balance between too cheap and it might spoil the entire holiday by being an ant filled, mouldy shithole; too expensive and you risk overpaying for a holiday to the tune of a few £hundred which eats into your spending money...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

24 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

At the risk of spamming, but its a whole separate point - about £800 for flights, acommodation (bed, breakfast and balcony), hold luggage, travel insurance (booked separately), shuttle service...

For 11 nights my gut feeling is that's pretty good value and I've not been fleeced? It's the first time I've tried booking a holiday myself, only ever been friends/family/partner that has booked stuff before, was ridiculous getting lost among the dozens of similar websites 😅

edit: I suppose time will tell, but it feels like a hard kind of... tricky thing to guage & it's a pain in the hoop trying to do due diligence; tripadvisor generally says the place I've booked up is decent enough, but its a balance between too cheap and it might spoil the entire holiday by being an ant filled, mouldy shithole; too expensive and you risk overpaying for a holiday to the tune of a few £hundred which eats into your spending money...

You can end up in a reviews spiral, at somepoint you've just got to make a call.  

Generally your not going to get ripped off compared to somewhere of similar standard, there's too much market force for somewhere to get away with offering a poor service at the same price long term.

What standard your willing to accept is up to you, there's some who'll cry over a scratch mark in a luxury hotel and there's others who'll sleep in the local sewer pleased with low cost and warmth generated from the shit, where you fall in that spectrum is your call. 

I've had fleeting thoughts over solo holidays and I don't have a clue what stops me, I'm content with my own company at home afterall.

Went to Gran Canaria with my girlfriend 1990ish for a week. It rained every bloody day. Told it was the worst rain they had had in 50 odd years. The water running down the streets was incredible as the drains could not handle it. The electrics in the pubs kept failing as well meaning no tv, no music and no lights. 

Apart from that it was a great holiday. 😬

22 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Probably a good deal assuming it's a decent hotel - we're about the same per person for seven nights B&B in Kos next month. You've got an extra four nights for the same.

Was in Puerto de la Cruz about 15 years ago for a week. A day at the parrot park and a trip to Mount Teidi probably worthwhile.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Probably a good deal assuming it's a decent hotel - we're about the same per person for seven nights B&B in Kos next month. You've got an extra four nights for the same.

Was in Puerto de la Cruz about 15 years ago for a week. A day at the parrot park and a trip to Mount Teidi probably worthwhile.

And of course Siam Park. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Puerto Del Carmen and really enjoyed it. A lot more chilled than Tenerife,  and a bit cheaper I thought.

Took the bus to Playa Blanca one day and thought it was nice, but not for a full week. Also went to Costa Teguise and didn't like it at all for some reason.

Some amount of Irish there last week though. Made friends with a lot of them, but I think I might have bought a dog.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:

Anyone heading to Fuerteventura pack a hoodie and long trousers. The mornings have been a bit chilly this week 

It’s been like that in Lanzarote for weeks with only the occasional hiatus.