PC

RH33

Sounds like your PC...*puts on shades*...has gone mad.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Run a boot-time virus scan with your antivirus software to get started. Open Windows Explorer and see if your C: drive is running out of space (the bar under the drive name will turn red on modern versions of Windows if you're running out of room). After that, take a look on the base unit for a model number so we can have a look at the specs.

Just now, Rowan said:

I don't have a bad unit! Or anti virus which may not be best thung

Base unit - the tower. Although it sounds like a bad unit at the moment  :P  If it's a Packard Bell, there'll be model number printed somewhere on it (possibly the back).

Tamdunk's guide looks good. Once you've done that, go to www.avast.com and download their free antivirus software. Once you've installed it, get it to run a boot-time scan. There's a tutorial here - I've only skimmed it, but it looks OK. Been using Avast for years and it's never let me down. Also, you can get it to talk to you like a pirate  :thumsup2

The scan will probably take a long time - I just scanned a friend's PC at work last weekend, and we had to leave it running overnight - but will solve a whole bunch of problems. Wee tip - when it finds a virus/trojan/exploit/whathaveyou, it'll ask you what to do. Choose the option to move all dodgy files to the virus chest automatically, or you'll be sitting there all night confirming every move  :wacko:

15 minutes ago, Rowan said:

No it's an all in one computer so no base unit. Running a scan now.

Oh, I see...there'll still be a model number plastered on it somewhere, usually next to a serial number and that kind of stuff.

Might not be necessary it the malware/virus scans do the trick, though. Always, always keep some antivirus software on your PC, especially as there's perfectly good stuff available for nowt.

8 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Just the 70 threats!

I think the one I worked on at the weekend has over 300, so you've done quite well  :lol:

Let us know if it runs any better now that it's been cleansed!

6 hours ago, Rowan said:

Still not loading the disc drive.

From what little information you have supplied, it is possible there are rogue software installed on your PC. They could be in conflict with other software running on your PC.

1, Go into your installed program list in the control panel, see if there is software/malware installed on your PC. How can you tell?, google the software installed on your PC and should tell you if the software is legit and not screwing up your PC. Follow the removal steps carefully. Should help boost performance and may even free up your disc drive.

2, Even if your software appears legit!. you have installed hacked programs which came with a virus and is causing problems ie your disc drive?, have you installed cracked software that duplicates DVD's?, I had that problem years ago and installed legit software to stop my disc being high-jacked.

Last but best solution, if you have the original OS DVD, do a fresh install of the operating system and immediately install an anti virus. Your PC will run like a dream.

6 hours ago, Rowan said:

Still not loading the disc drive.

Do you mean that your DVD drive isn't available to use in Windows anymore, or that Windows just isn't starting up at all?

Archived