The attitude that the SFA are in the wrong or that loads of players do it so that excuses it somewhat is not one that should be entertained. 

I have no doubts many players will do it but it's against the rules and players are completely aware of the rules.

Other players have been punished regarding this before. 

I have no doubts the club will do right by him but that doesn't mean he should play again. 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also just had a swatch at the Facebook...

Where this notion comes from that he was unlucky to get 'caught/grassed in' I'll never know. He's quite clearly flaunting it all over Twitter. Add to that the fact he's drawing attention to himself by posting homophobic remarks about refs (if that is true) then he's actually lucky he wasn't chinned sooner.

The guy has been through a horrible time, of which most of us couldn't comprehend, to call him a "fanny" is a bit over the score.

you simply can't bet against your own team however so would imagine he'll get a ban and Cowdenbeath will have to bin him also. 

Although he deserves all the sympathy in the world after the personal trauma he's had to endure, he deserves absolutely none for the betting if it's true that it started long before said trauma. A footballer betting on football, and beyond that, matches involving them is bad enough as it is but to openly speak of doing it and slam a governing body repeatedly on a public forum just reeks of idiocy. 

Really felt for the guy at the time of his tragedy and it must really affect him wish him all the best and hopefully, either on the park or off if he can live with best as he can and bring up his child as best he can. 

However betting on thousands of football matches some of which he played in is absolutely crazy and he must have known would it may end his career if it was picked up with any sort of match fixing, however it hasn't but was still very silly.  Also his article in the sun is a massive miscalculation on either his or his agents part the whole bit about never wanting to leave cowden expect for a team in the top half of the championship which I take it meant he wants full-time football and he would be off. If this was a pars player like a "fans favorite" geggan or cardle I wouldn't want them near a pars jersey again if they placed bets against them. 

His attitude on his twitter is only going to count against him and makes the whole thing a lot worse. 

4 hours ago, wee mike said:

Feel heart sorry for the guy what he went through but it looks to me he's making that an excuse for his betting. He was betting against his own team before the tragic circumstances came to surface.

No he wasent.

The guy has been through a horrible time, of which most of us couldn't comprehend, to call him a "fanny" is a bit over the score.
you simply can't bet against your own team however so would imagine he'll get a ban and Cowdenbeath will have to bin him also. 

He does come across as a bit of a fanny though, Not over the score at all.

Oh dear.

There is no doubt he has had a personal tragedy to deal with but does this justify him betting? More to the point, betting against his own team?

He has openly admitted on Twitter that he shouldn't be doing it too. He was silly to do it and even more silly to announce it on social media.

Oh dear.

There is no doubt he has had a personal tragedy to deal with but does this justify him betting? More to the point, betting against his own team?

He has openly admitted on Twitter that he shouldn't be doing it too. He was silly to do it and even more silly to announce it on social media.

Jesus, how often is this going to be posted. I don't think anyone is saying that because of what he's been through, it should excuse what he has done. He's done wrong and should and will be punished. However, personally I feel that because of what he's been through, it should perhaps excuse him from constantly being called 'a fanny' and 'ugly' and other such charming names. He'll be feeling awful right now and so will his family. Surely they are due that much slack, no?

I have been a big fan of Deans over the years but this is too much to forgive for me. He has to be sacked.

im sure someone in due course will give him a chance elsewhere but it shouldn't be at Cowden. I hope he learns a lesson and stops gambling and gets himself back on track in his life, if nothing else, for his daughters sake.

I have been a big fan of Deans over the years but this is too much to forgive for me. He has to be sacked.
im sure someone in due course will give him a chance elsewhere but it shouldn't be at Cowden. I hope he learns a lesson and stops gambling and gets himself back on track in his life, if nothing else, for his daughters sake.

Always thought he was a good player too. Someone will take a chance on him. Can't see it being at cowden though

I feel sorry for the lad, his actions are those of a serious gambling addict and like any addiction it's a disease that needs treated. Football is far too closely intertwined with the gambling industry, if we're going to take sponsorship money from Labrokes et al we need to proactively educate footballers on the pain this industry causes.

6 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

I feel sorry for the lad, his actions are those of a serious gambling addict and like any addiction it's a disease that needs treated. Football is far too closely intertwined with the gambling industry, if we're going to take sponsorship money from Labrokes et al we need to proactively educate footballers on the pain this industry causes.

I would agree football is too intertwined with bookies. We play in the Ladbrokes League, The Betfred Cup and the William Hill Scottish Cup, thought one of the others who have trumped Irn Bru for the Challenge Cup.

Chuck in when you watch the live English games on the telly all you see in the background is rolling adverts for betting in play etc and half of the Premier League sides sponsored by them.

Its little wonder that youngsters watching football start gambling when they see all those adverts they will just take it as the normal and hand in hand with football.

Archived