• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would agree football is too intertwined with bookies. We play in the Ladbrokes League, The Betfred Cup and the William Hill Scottish Cup, thought one of the others who have trumped Irn Bru for the Challenge Cup.
Chuck in when you watch the live English games on the telly all you see in the background is rolling adverts for betting in play etc and half of the Premier League sides sponsored by them.
Its little wonder that youngsters watching football start gambling when they see all those adverts they will just take it as the normal and hand in hand with football.

Aye we have it battered into us that gambling is an almost essential part of football. That can only lead to more incidents like this in the future.

Obviously no club and no league is going to turn down money from a bookies but more needs to be done to mitigate the impact

1 minute ago, Lichtielegend said:

Having worked in the industry, I can safely say that gambling is rife in Scottish football and the players aren't particularly subtle when trying to hide it.

if players aren't trying to hide it why aren't coaches, managers, and directors not clamp down on it surely risk embarrassing the club and putting a speed bump in their career 

They can hide it easy enough from their clubs usually but they aren't particularly subtle when creating online accounts.

The problem the bookies have is that they are split between their duty to report it to the SFA and their duty to protect their clients data. In the end, players will only really be rumbled if they bet on games involving their own team (a la Iain Black)

6 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

They can hide it easy enough from their clubs usually but they aren't particularly subtle when creating online accounts.

The problem the bookies have is that they are split between their duty to report it to the SFA and their duty to protect their clients data. In the end, players will only really be rumbled if they bet on games involving their own team (a la Iain Black)

I would imagine they would lose too much money if they reported everyone.

Anyway, why is no one talking about the initial twitter comments which led to this being investigated in the first place, as mentioned by both Cowdenbeath and the BBC? Is it because,if my memory serves me well and it usually does, he  referred to a match official in strong homophobic terms for judging that a penalty kick he took had not crossed the line during a match against ourselves?
Having tried to double check the tweet contents I find it has been removed, so I suspect so.

See now I read this I think this tit is talking sense for once. I'm sure I recall screenshotting this and sending it to a fellow Berwicker having a good chuckle at the boy's seethe.

May have to scroll through my phone and find it, just to fire a bit more fuel on the fire [emoji276]

Can't believe he's not getting a harder time to be honest. I like him and find him funny on twitter and obviously feel for him with what's happened BUT think this is all a bit strange, if it was a problem or an addiction surely he wouldn't be all over his twitter discussing his bets and acting like he's untouchable?

Caught out big time and looking a bit silly imo. Betting against your own team in games you're playing in is absolutely shite behaviour.

Can't believe he's not getting a harder time to be honest. I like him and find him funny on twitter and obviously feel for him with what's happened BUT think this is all a bit strange, if it was a problem or an addiction surely he wouldn't be all over his twitter discussing his bets and acting like he's untouchable?

Caught out big time and looking a bit silly imo. Betting against your own team in games you're playing in is absolutely shite behaviour.

He's just saying all the things we expect someone who has been caught to be saying in these recent interviews . He has thought he was untouchable and inevitably has been caught out. Can't believe he's openly talked about it on social media before though, he is either not the sharpest tool in the box or wanted to be caught

If I was Brett in this situation the first thing I'd have done is deactivated my twitter, Facebook etc. Regardless of how I feel about him betting against his own team, I hope he has someone giving him decent advice. He has a young family and the last thing he needs now is someone encouraging him to do the wrong things.

Spot on. Some of the shite I've seen on social media tonight is cringeworthy to say the least. I understand folk wanting to support him in order to try and sort himself out, but betting against us is absolutely not on.

As bad as it is to say, the way some folk are reacting is almost like he's went through another tragedy. I get he's had an unbelievably dark time in his life, I get he has a close affinity with the fans, I get he loves playing for Cowden. I get he's admitted to being a fanny. I don't think he should pull on a top for us again though.

As a non gambler can I clarify what you mean. Do you mean £40 every Saturday or 4 bets for a total of £10

4 bets for £10. £10 spend in total.

£5er on 5 teams. £2 on a win and BTTS. £2 on a draws coupon and £1 on a long shot to be precise. ;)

Archived