Email etiquette at work.

TheScarf

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The number of people who get my name wrong on my email drives me nuts.  My email address is something like (names are incorrect) - alasdair.campbell@company.net

In this scenario every email I get is to Campbell.  People I speak to on the phone (and tell them my first name) will then email me and call me Campbell.  Even people I've emailed dozens of time still get my name wrong.

Just now, The Master said:

Quite possibly.

In a city with a hill, and not the former polytechnic?

Indeed. Those email chains were amusing, then annoying, then amusing again. The idiots replying 'Take me off this list' should not only have been taken off the list, but should have been fired then flogged.

We lost our distribution lists because of the whole mess as the main IT folk removed everyone's access to them to stop this shit happening again.

1 minute ago, The Minertaur said:

The number of people who get my name wrong on my email drives me nuts.  My email address is something like (names are incorrect) - alasdair.campbell@company.net

In this scenario every email I get is to Campbell.  People I speak to on the phone (and tell them my first name) will then email me and call me Campbell.  Even people I've emailed dozens of time still get my name wrong.

You must deal with the pundits from Sportsound, who kept referring to Dean Brett as just "Brett".

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

Twice recently we've had "reply all" wars. The original emails were innocuous (just general FYI emails about something happening), but the subsequent reply started off a chain of "Please remove me from this list". Every time one person asked to be removed, it promoted another half-dozen to do likewise. If everyone just stayed level-headed enough to not reply at all, peace and quiet would ensue. But you can't even send an email saying that because people don't read it, and instead demand to be removed from the list. And on we go.

This happened at my work late last year.  There's thousands of people who would have received these emails and people kept responding saying "is this for me?" "not for me - please remove me from your list". 

One of them had requested a read receipt - I dread to think how many she received as half our office clicked it to punish her stupidity.

I for one don't like it when folk in the same office leave their signature on (when it takes one second to highlight it and hit delete).  I know your work address, I can see your desk from mine.  For external folk however, unless told otherwise for whatever reason, you really don't need a signature at the base of every single reply. 

Also, who still uses a fax number?

Eta: Of course, the biggest tw*ts of all are those that abuse the priority exclamation mark.  "(!) I've lost my notepad, has anyone seen it?!" should be a sackable offence.

13 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I, too, suffer from Two First Names Syndrome.  It's particularly irritating when you sign off your email with your first name, then they address the very next email with your surname. 

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I for one don't like it when folk in the same office leave their signature on (when it takes one second to highlight it and hit delete).  I know your work address, I can see your desk from mine.  

For external folk however, unless told otherwise for whatever reason, you really don't need a signature at the base of every single reply. 

Also, who still uses a fax number?

Chemists

1 minute ago, Gnash said:

I, too, suffer from Two First Names Syndrome.  It's particularly irritating when you sign off your email with your first name, then they address the very next email with your surname. 

This x 1000.  It shouldn't bother me that much but it really does.  It's the stupid outlook systems fault as it comes up as being an email from SURNAME, first name.  How people haven't clicked it does this after years of working here I'll never know.

3 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Same.  It happens so often.  I trust you start addressing them by their surname?  'Hi Black' for example?  Could get you into trouble actually that one.

These get punted to back of queue (yet another TFNS sufferer) if you don't pay enough attention to what i have already sent you, how do i know i am not repeating myself?

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Same.  It happens so often.  I trust you start addressing them by their surname?  'Hi Black' for example?  Could get you into trouble actually that one.

:lol: I've done this a few times.

Now what's people's opinions on font colour?  I'm a bit risky with a blue but I've seen people with yellow and red.  For me it should be blue or black always - no exceptions. 

I share exactly the same name as somebody else, hence my middle name has been added to make me look like some posh  w****r with two first names.

I was automatically given john.smith@ whilst he has j.smith@, so it's natural that we get the frequent rogue email.  I'd like to think that one day I'll get something worth the hassle for, such as a 'Sandwich Van' type email.

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

I share exactly the same name as somebody else, hence my middle name has been added to make me look like some posh  w****r with two first names.

I was automatically given john.smith@ whilst he has j.smith@, so it's natural that we get the frequent rogue email.  I'd like to think that one day I'll get something worth the hassle for, such as a 'Sandwich Van' type email.

God I forgot all about that :lol:  For those who haven't heard about it...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267824/Receptionist-fiance-left-red-faced-sends-email-discussing-sex-life-entire-office.html

29 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

They moved away to Liverpool after becoming an A-List celebrity couple around Aberdeen.

As far as office days can go, what a laugh it was. An email box filled with forwards and you'd just randomly hear folk burst out laughing from the neighbouring rooms.  If it didn't do the rounds of any office then they must still use pigeons for all communication.

... and don't you know the P&B rule-book regarding Daily Mail links?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9827617/Saucy-email-couple-resign-from-firm-in-embarrassment.html

I work with 5 buyers, and am CC'd into their correspondence, and I have my own as well.

I have one of them that will insist on answering everything.

Even if the email is sent to me, with him just CC'd in, and the email starts Dear MY NAME, addressed to me, with something for me to do, he has to answer it,

even if it is just to forward it to me with the sender CC'd in asking me to deal with it,

even if it is something that is a reply to a previous qeury from me, he has to jump in.

It creates extra emails and makes me want to wander to the other side of the office, he works in the same room as me, and take his keyboard and break his fingers with it.

The rest don't bother if they CC'd into one of my emails, they know it will be dealt with,

or I might get a question asked across room about it - but not this Cockwomble that sits about 6 feet away.

Archived