Berwick Rangers v Clyde

Good to see we're moving in the right direction then. I'm dying to get back to the games so much. Financially I just can't, but could certainly make the odd one, but reading what's going on and having witnessed the second Ayr game I struggle to find the motivation. 

Those 4 goals in the first half at Firhill seem like a fucking lifetime ago. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an enjoyable spectacle that was. Clyde will pick up more points from what I saw; toe to toe, nearly deserved a draw on the card, but thought we shaded the 'desire' competition. But no-way you boys will be in danger.

Last 10 minutes was epic entertainment; breathless at the end with the effort and commitment from both teams: just brilliant.

We had 4 excellent finishes at the end of good football for each; Rutherford worked hard, was physical and his two goals showed real composure: and an amazing run and cross in the 85th minute; outstanding stamina. Philips opener was a great finish from a stunning cross by Rutherford; but poor awareness from the Clyde defence /left back to allow the space for his cross from a throw-in. Thomson's 3rd for us was a virtuoso stunner after great tenacity from Lavery to win the ball and keep it alive. New man in midfield. Hope Thomson is ok after he came off, and thought Orru did really well when he came on; terrific run and early cross deserved more.

Scullion continues to be an outstanding leader and role model; glad he's at Berwick. And a final word for the hard work from the whole team; the terrific desire to win throughout the whole team was palpable. Bit lengthy, but there was so much tonight that was worth mentioning!

I'm absolutely done. Fed-up with trekking around the country and spending money to watch the same nonsense. Even if we'd taken a point I'd have not cared; the fact we've not won since November is an absolute embarrassment.

Tonight, like Saturday, there were three points sitting there for the taking. Sit in tight, hit on the break, and we were always going to get a goal or two. Instead, we were absolutely wide open in midfield in the first half and with limited protection, those centre halves are absolutely hopeless.

Berwick scored some goals that they'll rightly claim as good (Thomson's strike was an absolute stunner; a genuine what have I just seen moment) but our defending was abysmal. McNeil asleep for the first when Phillips side-footed in a cross, Smith absolute ripped to pieces for the second. We did well to get back level (one from a set piece; I think it was McLaughlin who crossed in for Smith to bundle in (might've been Linton), the other from a set piece taken quickly to McNeil on the overlap and ended with a Gormley cross/shot that ended up in the net) but within moments McLaughlin falls asleep watching Flynn challenging for a short-corner and lets Thomson in behind him; in fairness, you wouldn't expect him to find the top corner of the net from that position but his shot was absolutely unstoppable.

Second half we pushed them back into their own box (Scullion was obviously worried about all our pace up front) and Higgins laughably missed a sitter with only the goalie to beat by falling over and blaming the fact Flynn was nearby. McNeil also had a long range shot that was palmed clear at the last second. Berwick's fourth was amongst the worst goals you'll see all season; a set piece was cleared before being returned wide to McLaughlin who then decided to go for a run down the wing before losing the ball. Somehow from the punt forward, Berwick ended up with 2 attackers running clear with only McNeil back. Johnston's RECOVERY PACE got him back but Rutherford's bizarre chip around the side of both him and Gibson managed to creep into the net.

The third Clyde goal was a set piece from McLaughlin (so not quite 1 in 200, given we also netted from one on Saturday) that ended up in the net off of someone; no idea if it was a Clyde player or Berwick. Not much in the way of late chances despite a lot of throw-ins and a last gasp header off-target by Gibson :lol:  

The only player to get pass marks from me is Gormley. I thought he had a great game. Not sure Gibson could have done much else to be honest. Perry, Smith, McNeil the worst three by miles. No point Linton playing until he's fit as despite trying hard he's completely off the pace. No doubting the efforts of anyone but the individual errors are scandalous.

I genuinely can't be bothered going to Arbroath on Saturday. We basically need to score 3 in games just to give ourselves half a chance of winning. We absolutely need McMillan in at centre half.

I'm absolutely done. Fed-up with trekking around the country and spending money to watch the same nonsense. Even if we'd taken a point I'd have not cared; the fact we've not won since November is an absolute embarrassment.
Tonight, like Saturday, there were three points sitting there for the taking. Sit in tight, hit on the break, and we were always going to get a goal or two. Instead, we were absolutely wide open in midfield in the first half and with limited protection, those centre halves are absolutely hopeless.
Berwick scored some goals that they'll rightly claim as good (Thomson's strike was an absolute stunner; a genuine what have I just seen moment) but our defending was abysmal. McNeil asleep for the first when Phillips side-footed in a cross, Smith absolute ripped to pieces for the second. We did well to get back level (one from a set piece; I think it was McLaughlin who crossed in for Smith to bundle in (might've been Linton), the other from a set piece taken quickly to McNeil on the overlap and ended with a Gormley cross/shot that ended up in the net) but within moments McLaughlin falls asleep watching Flynn challenging for a short-corner and lets Thomson in behind him; in fairness, you wouldn't expect him to find the top corner of the net from that position but his shot was absolutely unstoppable.
Second half we pushed them back into their own box (Scullion was obviously worried about all our pace up front) and Higgins laughably missed a sitter with only the goalie to beat by falling over and blaming the fact Flynn was nearby. McNeil also had a long range shot that was palmed clear at the last second. Berwick's fourth was amongst the worst goals you'll see all season; a set piece was cleared before being returned wide to McLaughlin who then decided to go for a run down the wing before losing the ball. Somehow from the punt forward, Berwick ended up with 2 attackers running clear with only McNeil back. Johnston's RECOVERY PACE got him back but Rutherford's bizarre chip around the side of both him and Gibson managed to creep into the net.
The third Clyde goal was a set piece from McLaughlin (so not quite 1 in 200, given we also netted from one on Saturday) that ended up in the net off of someone; no idea if it was a Clyde player or Berwick. Not much in the way of late chances despite a lot of throw-ins and a last gasp header off-target by Gibson [emoji38]  
The only player to get pass marks from me is Gormley. I thought he had a great game. Not sure Gibson could have done much else to be honest. Perry, Smith, McNeil the worst three by miles. No point Linton playing until he's fit as despite trying hard he's completely off the pace. No doubting the efforts of anyone but the individual errors are scandalous.
I genuinely can't be bothered going to Arbroath on Saturday. We basically need to score 3 in games just to give ourselves half a chance of winning. We absolutely need McMillan in at centre half.

Credit for going down to Berwick on a Tuesday night [emoji106]

Not at game so can't comment but to have the clubs league future in hands of these charlatans is frankly disastrous
Can only hope Cowdenbeath continue to lose if it comes to a straight shoot between us wouldn't put two bob on this mob pulling us out of the mire

We just cant keep conceding the goals we do.

1st Goal - Cross comes into easy, Gibson doesn't come and McNeil allows attacker to get in - in front of him.

2nd Goal - Smith, turned and bullied too easily, and Gibson tries to save shot with feet and it trundles in.

3rd Goal - Wonder strike, but shot is allowed to get struck with little or no attempt to block.

4th Goal - McLaughlin loses possession from our corner, and we are left horribly exposed. Gibson starts to come out then stops, and is left in no mans land.

Add to that, the chances Smith and Higgins missed - then it's a worrying picture. Hilarious to say, but much of how we played last night was ok, considering the performances of 3 of the back 4 and the goalie, plus the toiling Linton, Flynn flitting in and out of the game, and the non existent Higgins.

I thought Gormley was ok at best, but another two goals.

If we can keeps things simple at the back, and just defend, we will give anyone a game and climb away from our predicament - but that means Quinn shaking off his knock, and defenders just defending.

If we can keeps things simple at the back, and just defend, we will give anyone a game and climb away from our predicament - but that means Quinn shaking off his knock, and defenders just defending.

I wasn't the last night so can't comment on last night's game.

The defence seems to be the main problem as we seem to be scoring at a reasonable rate at the moment.

The problem is that the defenders just seem bad at defending. They don't play a high line, the full backs don't overlap so it's not as if they are too attack minded.

The full backs rarely stop crosses and the centre halves do not dominate the centre of the box.

Smith has been a real disappointment this season. Too regularly he is beaten by forwards when competing for headers.

Perry, after the first few games, has not shown any sort of form. In fact, he's very poor.

I don't think we are helped by a midfield that is slow to close down opposing midfielders and allow them time to pick their pass.

I'm lost at what we can do with the current players to address this problem.

With Cowdenbeath changing manager, they may get the desired bounce. We may have a fight on our hands.

I wasn't the last night so can't comment on last night's game.

The defence seems to be the main problem as we seem to be scoring at a reasonable rate at the moment.

The problem is that the defenders just seem bad at defending. They don't play a high line, the full backs don't overlap so it's not as if they are too attack minded.

The full backs rarely stop crosses and the centre halves do not dominate the centre of the box.

Smith has been a real disappointment this season. Too regularly he is beaten by forwards when competing for headers.

Perry, after the first few games, has not shown any sort of form. In fact, he's very poor.

I don't think we are helped by a midfield that is slow to close down opposing midfielders and allow them time to pick their pass.

I'm lost at what we can do with the current players to address this problem.

With Cowdenbeath changing manager, they may get the desired bounce. We may have a fight on our hands.

May[emoji23]

I don't think we're even really scoring goals at a decent rate. We've scored 8 goals in our last 6 games and 7 of them have been from set pieces (Higgins at Elgin the only one from open play). Getting goals from set pieces at that rate is exceptionally fortunate. Even the penalty we got on Saturday was from a set piece. The only player who looks like he might get a goal in open play is Flynn.

The poor defending is almost entirely down to individual errors. No amount of coaching or changes of manager will stop Forfar's second goal, or a couple of the goals last night. We need to get Perry and Smith out of the team completely. McMillan and either McNiff or McNeil at centre half.

The poor defending is almost entirely down to individual errors. No amount of coaching or changes of manager will stop Forfar's second goal, or a couple of the goals last night. We need to get Perry and Smith out of the team completely. McMillan and either McNiff or McNeil at centre half.

Fully agree. I don't know if anyone can coach defenders at that age to not ball watch, close gaps and not to lose concentration.

Perry and Smith have had plenty of matches together. Time for a change at the heart of defence.

Archived