Iron Fist

54_and_counting

Might as well get the ball rolling seeing as its released now, first 6 episodes got slated by the critics, so im going into this with some low expectations, hopefully means its better than i hope lol, just finished first episode, not much really worth commenting on, didnt expect big revelations in it

okay ive just battered through the first 4 episodes lol, certainly not as bad as the critics say

its definitely slow paced, some action scenes but more building of the environment if thats the right way to put it, it kinda has the same tone as Dr Strange had to it, where they seem to struggle to get the ball rolling due to the change in direction from super powers to mysticism and magic, but there's enough "wonder what that means" to make you wanna watch the next episode lol

The Hand are shown pretty early which is good, i have a strong feeling that the Iron Fist storyline wont really be concluded at the end of the 13 episodes and that it will be the starting point for the Defenders series

Having watched five episodes, and now onto my sixth, the critics have massively overreacted to how "bad" this is. It's certainly not as good as Daredevil or Jessica Jones and yes it is pretty slow paced, however I am certainly feeling enough sense of intrigue in the story and have enjoyed the limited action scenes enough so far to continue watching.

I'd also say I'm preferring it to Luke Cage which I found pretty boring.

ETA: can't help but think some of the negative reaction is due to the "cultural appropriation" bullshit that first surrounded Jones' casting, despite Danny Rand being a white billionaire in the comics.

Watched the first episode last night and fair enjoyed it, given the negative reviews. So far would say it is better than Luke Cage, which towards the end it was only the quality music that was getting me through it.

To be fair the concept is not exactly unique (very similar to Arrow), but I would rather there was more story and limit the action if there is a good story to tell. 

I'm 4 episodes in and enjoying it. Expectations were pretty low given the negativity floating about in the reviews, but other than going at a slow pace I think its good. Writing a little clunky at times but telling a more engaging story than Luke Cage did.

I actually thought that the main actor would be really annoying but he's pretty much nailed it for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

finished it last night, not the worst by any stretch, clearly the writers had issues with how to introduce iron fist into the series without simply dropping him in and have him kicking ass like it was a job, defenders should be good, along with punisher this year

Certainly wont rush back to watch it again, but not a bad attempt. Loras Tyrell is a bit of a whiney bitch though, pretty much all the characters have lost their parents yet you never really hear how because of his constant self absorbed drivel. I suspect he hasn't done much training for this either as the fight scenes are pretty slow paced and the other chars look a damn site better at fighting than danny.

Anyone catch the scene when he was at the graves .. 'daniel son' surely an easter egg to karate kid.

The hero accused of a crime he didn't commit, original...

This has been a real slog to get through compared to the others, one more episode to watch.

Spoiler

Scott Buck is absolutely dung as a showrunner. He's not bad at contributing an episode here or there to a series like with Six Feet Under and Rome but his showrunner with the last seasons with Dexter proved that this wasn't the greatest idea for him to be taking the reins. He's apparently doing the Inhumans show anaw which will be probably also end up being destroyed by his incoherent writing. The ending was full of soundbites and cliches at each other. This show could have literally used the template from Arrow as there are so many similarities here, using all the things that worked for it and made something that could have been the best of the lot. The potential with the stuff from K'un Lun alone could have been something dece, yet they papered over it completely.

Finn might have a lot of street cred with GoT, but he clearly couldn't pull off being a main lead here. I didn't at any point feel like Danny Rand was in any danger in some of the worst cherographed fight scenes I have ever seen. Danny Rand was always from what I've read a very zen character, even in spite of his experiences leading up to becoming the Iron Fist, his attempts at PTSD were terrible, has if he was coming down with a headache or something, and it felt like he was having a hissy fit half the time at everyone.

The supporting cast aside from Rosario Dawson and the fella playing Davos were the only people I didn't find myself rolling my eyes at.

It honestly felt like the people behind it just said, give us a show that passes for bang average, and don't blitz the budget too hard (I mean how guff does that Iron fist actually look?) so we can blow it all on the Defenders later on this year.

On 7. dubna 2017 at 13:58, the jambo-rocker said:
  Hide contents

It honestly felt like the people behind it just said, give us a show that passes for bang average, and don't blitz the budget too hard (I mean how guff does that Iron fist actually look?) so we can blow it all on the Defenders later on this year.

You mean that China scene wasn't filmed on location? I, for one, am shocked.

• 2 months later...

Just about finished watching this, found it fairly enjoyable and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing all 4 come together for The Defenders. I'd say Jessica Jones was my favourite so far with both the Daredevil series and Iron Fist on a par, thought Nick Cage was the worst but still not a bad series.  

Can't believe no one mentioned the very easy on the eye Jessica Henwick during this thread.

Jessica-Henwick-2016-Wallpaper.jpg

On 2017-6-24 at 21:44, thomas said:

Just about finished watching this, found it fairly enjoyable and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing all 4 come together for The Defenders. I'd say Jessica Jones was my favourite so far with both the Daredevil series and Iron Fist on a par, thought Nick Cage was the worst but still not a bad series.  

Can't believe no one mentioned the very easy on the eye Jessica Henwick during this thread.

Jessica-Henwick-2016-Wallpaper.jpg

Aye, she is great. Hadn't realised that she was in Game of Thrones(same with the main guy, although it was ages ago he was in it, so it's more understandable to have forgotten about him :lol:)

16 hours ago, alang1993 said:

Aye, she is great. Hadn't realised that she was in Game of Thrones(same with the main guy, although it was ages ago he was in it, so it's more understandable to have forgotten about him :lol:)

Eh?? He died in the season 6 finale, the most recent episode!

• 2 months later...

Watched the last 3 episodes today to finally round this off, almost 3 months after I watched the first.

Overall thought it was really poor. Watchable but the worst of the 4 by far. Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Nick Cage and Iron Fist is the order of preference for me

Archived