Fife is great

I will argue till the day I die that Arbroath is actually an extremely tidy place.

I just wish that people getting off the train here for the football didn't end up getting off at the West Port and wondering along the Millgate, which is extremely tinky. As is the 'High Street' to be honest, that really only serves a purpose to old people and jakeballs who can't afford going to Dundee.

Can see the comparison with Kirkcaldy though. The seaside, the links and amusements etc. Again only been for the football, wondered along a street close to the front to the shopping centre and back, seemed quite rough.

For some reason I seem to think Dunfermline is a very tidy place too, but I've only walked along Halbeath Road and up the high street.

Glenrothes is basically Cumbernauld.

I'm struggling to think of a large town in Scotland that's got a nicer centre than Dunfermline. The western side deserves special mention with the gates around Pittencrieff Park, the town house and the 'historic quarter' that has a bunch of great wee pubs.

As with other places, most fans simply see Halbeath Road (or the dual carriageway / roundabout sections walking up from Dunfermline Town station that is essentially not that different to Glenrothes).

Dunfermline's speciality though is hiding all the inevitably shite parts away from visitor view, e.g. Abbeyview. Unless you actually make the effort to venture there, you'll never see them from any of the main roads.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm struggling to think of a large town in Scotland that's got a nicer centre than Dunfermline. The western side deserves special mention with the gates around Pittencrieff Park, the town house and the 'historic quarter' that has a bunch of great wee pubs.

As with other places, most fans simply see Halbeath Road (or the dual carriageway / roundabout sections walking up from Dunfermline Town station that is essentially not that different to Glenrothes).

Dunfermline's speciality though is hiding all the inevitably shite parts away from visitor view, e.g. Abbeyview. Unless you actually make the effort to venture there, you'll never see them from any of the main roads.

Dunfermline is a bit like Edinburgh in that way. The bad bits are pretty well hidden (except from all the whales roaming the high street in trackies during the day).

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I will argue till the day I die that Arbroath is actually an extremely tidy place.

I just wish that people getting off the train here for the football didn't end up getting off at the West Port and wondering along the Millgate, which is extremely tinky. As is the 'High Street' to be honest, that really only serves a purpose to old people and jakeballs who can't afford going to Dundee.

Arbroath isn't an unpleasant place at all but some of its inhabitants belong in the dark ages. I think it's the only place where I've heard the term "P*ki Shop"  used in recent years...

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Craig Levein went to Inverkeithing High.

As did Steven Pressley and Gordon Durie as far as ex footballers go. Current footballers include Blair Alston, Liam Smith and Greig Spence - Who play/played for Falkirk, Wee Team and Cowden respectively. Seems the Pars hate Divit High

ETA To add my former classmate Ex-Arbroath player Jamie Bishop, who was a Pars youth player

As did Steven Pressley and Gordon Durie as far as ex footballers go. Current footballers include Blair Alston, Liam Smith and Greig Spence - Who play/played for Falkirk, Wee Team and Cowden respectively. Seems the Pars hate Divit High
ETA To add my former classmate Ex-Arbroath player Jamie Bishop, who was a Pars youth player

Was a big fan of Bishop!!

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Craig Levein went to Inverkeithing High.

27 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Add David Bates, ex Raith and now Rangers.

34 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Maurice Malpas (of Scottish football roll of honour fame) went to Queen Anne High in Dunfermline.

So did I. Apart from a few minor criminals, late night Channel 5 roulette hosts and sex pest register types I can't think of anyone of note except Malpas to have attended.

So did I. Apart from a few minor criminals, late night Channel 5 roulette hosts and sex pest register types I can't think of anyone of note except Malpas to have attended.

Pete Wishart (plus some wifie that won Olympic gold in curling).

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

Always seems to be plenty of talent that eludes Pars. I remember sending an angry email to Stephen Kenny asking why he was signing all these loan chancers when Liam Buchanan was playing out of his skin for Cowden. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Ahem..

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

a few minor criminals, late night Channel 5 roulette hosts and sex pest register types 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Ahem..

I think you're pretty well covered in all of those categories. 

Did you go to the new Queen Anne? It was all falling down old huts when I was there.

Archived