Dunfermline v Falkirk

Time was this would have been a "Big Game" irrespective of league placings, well remember some serious loathing when we were both struggling to overcome the mighty Berwick Rangers in the basement league in late 70's.

All a bit meh on the rivalry front now unfortunately.

Don't know if this is because the Fifers have been our bitches for too long (pre meltdown promotion season excepted) or just that proper old style football rivalries are a declining part of our game.

Either way a bit sad especially since the other shower of tinks from Airdrie long since ceased to have any relevance.

Its all too nicey, nicey.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Surprisingly I don't think beating Falkirk was the main aim of Masterton.

Once again, you're utterly wrong.

Ok one decent championship win which lead to one horrendous season in the top flight is hardly worth risking the whole future of your club over . But SMpar seems to think it was worth it..

As I said the last time we faced them  rivalries tend to suffer when one team rules the roost too long . Look at the Ryder cup for instance when it was only the UK against the US and was very one sided. Perhaps we should take on the whole of Fife to give them a chance. 

Time was this would have been a "Big Game" irrespective of league placings, well remember some serious loathing when we were both struggling to overcome the mighty Berwick Rangers in the basement league in late 70's.
Don't know if this is because the Fifers have been our bitches for too long (pre meltdown promotion season excepted) or just that proper old style football rivalries are a declining part of our game.
Either way a bit sad especially since the other shower of tinks from Airdrie long since ceased to have any relevance.

I've heard quite a few older fans talk about the Airdrie rivalry and it baffles me because by and large, they're an absolute irrelevance. I started to wonder earlier the season if this game was heading the same way, I used to much prefer the Falkirk game, even when we had a shocking record, proper hatred.

It all started to change the season we won the title, I've never been as fussed about the games since. I partly put it down to the change in stadia, I never went to it but apparently brockville was a cracking away day, the Falkirk stadium is absolutely dreadful, shite stadium in the middle of nowhere with a tannoy that drowns out everything, no ta. Compared to Raith away it's worse in literally every way,as such people look forward to it less, people choose going to Raith away and it's carried on from there.

I hope we win this weekend, not because it's Falkirk, but it might give us a shot at the playoffs, if we genuinely had nothing to play for I wouldn't bother watching it probably.

10 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Half-finished identikit stadium killed it tbf.

As well as Falkirk being painfully desperate for us to hate them, you came on too strong I'm afraid lads, it just came off as creepy.

3/4 surely. And to be honest the atmosphere at your place wasn't any better on our last visit. Home and away fans still too far apart.

23 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I've heard quite a few older fans talk about the Airdrie rivalry and it baffles me because by and large, they're an absolute irrelevance. I started to wonder earlier the season if this game was heading the same way, I used to much prefer the Falkirk game, even when we had a shocking record, proper hatred.

It all started to change the season we won the title, I've never been as fussed about the games since. I partly put it down to the change in stadia, I never went to it but apparently brockville was a cracking away day, the Falkirk stadium is absolutely dreadful, shite stadium in the middle of nowhere with a tannoy that drowns out everything, no ta. Compared to Raith away it's worse in literally every way,as such people look forward to it less, people choose going to Raith away and it's carried on from there.

I hope we win this weekend, not because it's Falkirk, but it might give us a shot at the playoffs, if we genuinely had nothing to play for I wouldn't bother watching it probably.

Believe it or not Airdrie were almost comparable to our clubs once upon a time.

Proximity, in our case at least and the fact that they were lowlife *** loving skunks was another factor in the one time rivalry.

Wont let me post *** so I will substitute Saxe Coburg und Gothe

3/4 surely. And to be honest the atmosphere at your place wasn't any better on our last visit. Home and away fans still too far apart.

I was hoping the ends still had work to be done tbh.

we were also in the middle of a garbage run at your last visit, atmosphere is great when we play other big teams like hibs.

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Over-familiarity of playing at least four times a season, no real sporting rivalry for ages (a good promotion or relegation battle always ramps up the antagonism), the general sanitisation of football... the list goes on. You just have to look at the high percentages of our season ticket holders who are concessions of some sort to realise that there's not the same number of "lads" following us.

We had a few amusing rivalries in the seaside leagues. Peterhead's players seemed to hate us and our players were raging at Ayr after a leg-break incident early last season. There wasn't the numbers of away fans to translate into them being "big" games though.

5 hours ago, Hawk said:

FFS even the management are now making excuses for him not scoring. Let me get this right, he's struggled for 6/7 weeks, had lots of game time presumably, now after continuing to play he's had to miss a match, all without grabbing the headlines. Sounds like great man management there, or another example of nepotism!

Then again maybe he can't get his sock over the ankle tag after his run in with the law, just a thought.

Edited to say come on Falkirk, do these wannabies. Kerr, Baird and Kidd to do the business.

We have The Moff, who couldn't score in a brothel with a £100 note wrapped round his cock. Despite this, I don't think any Pars fans would want Reilly to start ahead of him. He was out of the team for a spell when Reilly was playing and despite his limitations he has nailed down a place in the team by being direct and a handful for opponents. He doesn't just run about looking lost.

Nicky Clark scored 4 against Dumbarton last time we played them. Gav got a start against them on Saturday and scored his customary total. Hopkirk came on and scored straight away.

Three of our four strikers are former Queens players. Clark has been very good for us. David Hopkirk shows flashes that he could be a terrific striker but struggles with injuries. Reilly has had plenty of chances and can't cut it. It was always going to be hard to fill El Bak's boots as he scored so many fantastic individual goals.

Got my tickets this morning and apparently sales have been slow with some pre-match meeting today where PATG is usually decided upon.

I'd assume there will be a cash gate for the hoards of Falkirk fans ready to fill the away stand [emoji106]???? looking forward to it!

Don't know anyone with tickets yet to be honest, 7 or 8 of our lot likely to PATG on Sat.

We'll have 1800-2000 again on Saturday, as we did on Boxing Day.

I have my sons birthday party so won't make this one. I would love to see Houston change the starting 11 a bit as everyone has said, dont know if he will until we lose a game which on paper reads good, although turgid draws have twisted my melons something awfy this season. Perhaps this is all part of his masterplan, crawl over the line to 2nd with a beige team selection, then when the playoffs come, BOOM,Muirhead centre half, McKee fit, Fash and hippo upfront, our opponents wouldn't have been able to study or come up against our new attacking team and we sail into the premier league in exciting fashion. Or he is just stubborn and I am being too far fetched with my optimism!!

Thomson

Kidd     Muirhead   Grant   Leahy

Craigen   McKee   Taiwo    Sibbald

Austin   Hippo

wishful thinking.

Archived