The Famous Aberdeen European Tour 17/18

NorthernLights

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Should Aberdeen beat Limossal (hopefully they can) here's a List of Clubs they could face in the PO round - in ascending order of difficulty:

Bold indicates where I think they could have half a chance.

FK Astana Kaz  16.800
OGC Nice  Fra 16.833
Austria Wien Aut  17.070
Astra Giurgiu Rom  17.870 
SC Freiburg Ger  20.899
Maccabi Tel-Aviv Isr  23.375
Dinamo Zagreb Cro  26.050
Olympique Marseille Fra  28.333
Young Boys Sui  28.915
Everton Eng  29.192 (They could play their reserves)
Girondins Bordeaux Fra  29.333
FK Krasnodar  Rus  32.106
PAOK Thessaloniki Gre  35.080
Steaua Bucuresti Rom  35.370
AA Gent Bel  35.480
Sporting Braga Por  37.366
PSV Eindhoven Ned  46.212
AC Milan Ita  47.666 (Been Pish recently - but their still AC Milan)
Sparta Praha Cze  48.135 (one for @Menzel to tell us about)
Fenerbahçe Tur  51.840
Athletic Bilbao Esp  60.999
Zenit St. Petersburg Rus  87.106

Mental how difficult it is for a club from Scotland to reach the play off stages.

Is it fair to say we'd have a more difficult route to EL groups than Celtic will to CL groups?

Rough as f**k today. Worth it though. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Main difference between yesterday and last week was that the arse didn't fall out of us after 60 minutes. In fact, we just picked up the pace, got stronger and eventually just played them off the park....it could well have been 3 or 4.

I was a bit worried that both GMS and Stewart would run out of puff, but both put in a great shift and it's to their credit that even without Hayes and McGinn, the second half looked very much like a seamless transition from the last few years.

Obviously the stand out player on the park was Christie, and I suspect that Aberdeen will seriously regret not making him a permanent part of the Hayes deal......this guy is going to have a terrific season and this time next year we'll be missing him desperately.

Anyway. The initial couple of games of the season in Europe are always a damn tricky pain in the arse, and that's them out of the way. Fitness levels are up, and the game last night will have done wonders for confidence and for gelling the team together.

I'd expect a full-house at the Pitt o'dreams next week and while this Cypriot lot will be no mugs, I'm hoping that we'll be a much better side at home than we were just a week ago.I'd love a clean sheet, and I'd kill for a 2-0 to take to Cyprus.

Pleasing. Pleasing. Pleasing.

5 hours ago, La_Leyenda said:

Two years ago they beat FK Trakai 4-0. That's the team who have just knocked out St Johnstone.

Wouldn't read anything into that as it's the players they've signed in the last year that have made them decent.

Apollon are decent but so will Aberdeen be, if you can sort out that defence.

12 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Well done, Aberdeen!

Gladvak Brosanov, Ismak Detonic, Marek Krasanek.. your boys just took one hell of a beating.*

* Couldn't think of any famous Bosnians, so I just made up those names.

The boy who shot the archduke Ferdinand to start the first world war Gavrilo Princip.

12 hours ago, edinabear said:

Really hate your club but that is a cracking result! Well done

Strange name and sentiment from "My team: Alloa".

Extraordinary result for the Dons. Delighted for them.

I think if I was a Dons fan I'd happily take Milan for the trip. They've got some cracking players this year. Would much prefer that to a drubbing from the likes of Gent or Freiburg.

Even a trip down to Goodison wouldn't be too bad.

3 hours ago, shootingboots said:

Is it fair to say we'd have a more difficult route to EL groups than Celtic will to CL groups?

Pretty much but Astana are listed as a potential Aberdeen opponent and we could've drawn them in QR3 instead of Rosenborg. I take it the list is therefore assuming Legia will knock them out of the Champions route. I'm also assuming that (for example) Astra were the 3rd best team in Romania at best last season and Sparta Prague were the 3rd best Czech team as those countries have representatives in both the Champions Route and the League Route of the CL. 

Archived