June 8th General Election

Mudder

Pretty happy with the election results. It's been a hammer blow for the Sham party that are the SNP and that can only be a good thing. This is a party who have no interest in governing for Scotland, they want Independence at any costs, as do their bandwagon jumpers since the failed referendum of 2014. I should think that that'll be Independence put back in its box for the foreseeable future.

And great to see Salmond getting booted out. A decent night all round. :)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was asking that earlier as well. The numbers balance doesn't change even if they do? That maybe takes away the motivation for now. A couple of by-elections going against the Tories and who knows though, if it would make a tangible difference to what happens in NI?

Well they wouldn't be able to prevent a Queens speech passing,but attending would half the number of rebels required to stop any government bill.

They still seem pretty against it, and like others I have no idea why, the likely make up of goverment is as hostile to their politics as possible, surely opposing it is the very reason for them existing? Especially with the possibility of direct rule still lingering in the background.

What is the process if say they there's a close vote in a year they decide to get involved in? (For devils advocate sake let's say approving a referendum on Irish unification or on making the uk a republic) could they rock up 5 minutes before the vote? Or would they need to arrange going through the whole bullshit rigmarole that happens at the start of parliment?

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Did the LD say no to a coalition?
What's the point in them then?

They ruled it out weeks ago. Given how it near killed the party last time despite actually doing a very good job of it, you can't really argue with that.

As for the point, occupying the centre ground and potentially holding a balance of power in certain circumstances. You may as well say what's the point in the SNP standing in Westminster elections given they can't possibly win enough seats to do anything of relevance directly (as we have seen considering they has 56 of 59 for the last two years).

Pretty happy with the election results. It's been a hammer blow for the Sham party that are the SNP and that can only be a good thing. This is a party who have no interest in governing for Scotland, they want Independence at any costs, as do their bandwagon jumpers since the failed referendum of 2014. I should think that that'll be Independence put back in its box for the foreseeable future.
And great to see Salmond getting booted out. A decent night all round. [emoji4]

Trying way too hard.

5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

What is the process if say they there's a close vote in a year they decide to get involved in? (For devils advocate sake let's say approving a referendum on Irish unification or on making the uk a republic) could they rock up 5 minutes before the vote? Or would they need to arrange going through the whole bullshit rigmarole that happens at the start of parliment?

The main stumbling block for them is that the Oath of Office revolves around loyalty to QEII.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/swearingin/

I (name of Member) swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.

The main stumbling block for them is that the Oath of Office revolves around loyalty to QEII.
http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/swearingin/
I (name of Member) swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.

aware they have issues with that, but many a republican(and non- Christian) has mumbled there way through that and got on with the important bit of getting on with getting those views heard.

I don't understand how your objection(one I agree with tbh,it's a bullshit statement to have to make) to saying a sentence as part of an archaic process can override objections to how the nation is being run.

How many anti-Brexit Tories are there? Enough to be bloody difficult backbenchers?

Yes, but they will have a difficult game to play, speak up too loudly and they risk losing there seat at the next election which could be round the corner any minute during this parlement.

29 minutes ago, MJC said:

And great to see Salmond getting booted out. A decent night all round. :)

Your Union at any cost alternative has worked out well.

Probably been mentioned already but there must be a lot who voted Tory - not the diehards, the transient gypsy's that seem to be wandering the Scottish political scene - thinking whatever they wanted from the Brexit arrangements has now been embarrasingly tainted by this desperate move. And their March back to the Empire is now a shuffling Walk behind a flute band.

Tory local branch meetings now being held at the lodge. 

They should have stuck to the yardstick of 55% Yes in the polls for at least 6 months before even considering it. The problem they had was that too many of their supporters weren't being rational about that and they risked a split if they weren't seen to push for it after the Brexit referendum. SNP support tends to be cyclical and crashes a bit whenever irrationality on expectations collides with reality and then starts slowly building again as the underlying dissatisfaction with the UK amongst a large portion of the Scottish electorate that fuels their support sets in again. Think their biggest problem is what they do about being pro-EU if there is a hard brexit and that means having a hard border post indy. Paradoxically having the DUP propping up the Tories may help head that scenario off at the pass, because it means that NI's concerns over the border issue very much matter now at Westminster in a way they didn't just 24 hours ago.

I think they'll be a few who voted Tory who will not be happy at all at them getting in bed with the DUP - not all Tory voters are the WATP types.

How the f**k is independence dead. What a load of shite. This was a GE.... oh and btw a fukin right wing tory gov with the bigots propping them up means independence is very much alive.... 2023. Not to mention brexit
Surely a lot of the labour voters will now vote yes. Imagine accepting this clusterfuck

Better news.Eck starts in Burton's windae on Monday.6f374076ab3745960efec9d2df590a50.gif

Why as a Labour voter are you so obsessed with the SNP and Salmond that the Tories have beat and not the Tories that Labour have beat.

That's a bad result for Labour. Why joke about it?

11 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Ok so having had all day to review, heres why I think the pro-indy vote has dropped, the movement is far too left, people like Kat Boyd and Sheridan and marches of people in Glasgow shouting freedom and maggie thatchers deid just turn off voters who could be persuaded by reasoned argument and debate and not 'cos f**k England' which for me isn't even remotely the reason I believe in Independence. Boyd et al put off voters in their droves who see them as too militant. Nicola was a victim of believing her own hype and not putting the work in, it was a lazy campaign and has cost the party and indeed the movement significantly, I can't see appetite for another vote for many years now. What's really really stupid about Scotland basically handing the Tories the keys to No10 is that Scotland will undoubtedly suffer more than any other region of the UK as a result, I predict revamping of Barnett and other nastiness from May and the Dinosaur Denial Party which will really see the UK swing further right. I think its only right now that the pensioners who voted in the Tories now see the dementia tax etc brought in. Perhaps a taste of what they voted for will be good enough to show them it was a mistake. Even then cos Rangers it still might make them blame the SNP. SNP have to markedly improve their performance in Holyrood and hope that they have someone who can stand up in Westminster and replace Robertson, who imho is more of a loss than the troll in chief (however much i love him). The switching of voters from SNP to Labour 'because of Corbyn' is a big indicator that the electorate has the memory of a goldfish and hasn't quite worked out that yes you can have Corbyn's government but there will only be 1/2 terms at best then the English electorate will vote Tory again when they feel we've veered too far left.

Good post. I'm an activist and thought the run-up was a shadow of the organisation that went on in the last 2 years. Even at meetings there was no buzz. Hopefully it's a wake-up. I also think the party has become too HQ centric. The money and marketing ideas are largely poured into central events. Local branches stumble along with little or no direction and it becomes a postcode lottery. Need to get the action back on the streets.

Why as a Labour voter are you so obsessed with the SNP and Salmond that the Tories have beat and not the Tories that Labour have beat.

That's a bad result for Labour. Why joke about it?

Jeez.Dishing it out is fine but shoe on other foot and its "no fair".I well remember a fair few on here revelling in Labours loss in England in 2015 and not giving a monkeys about it's implication for the downtrodden in the UK.Now everyone is a humorless "snowflake".

Archived