June 8th General Election

Mudder

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

No. If people against Indyref2 wanted to protest vote they had Labour or the Lib Dems to go for, both of whom were also standing on a platform of 'no to a deeeeevisie second referendum'. Instead they chose the Tories. Ruth is obviously seen as the main tub thumper for the union and basher of the Nats.

Maybe people just like the Tories. Who knows.

It could have actually turned out worse for the SNP had a lot more people realised in advance Labour were proper contenders and not a wasted vote. Quite a few seats where SNP won but other two weren't far behind with a much higher than expected Tory vote in previous Labour lands.  

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Good post. I'm an activist and thought the run-up was a shadow of the organisation that went on in the last 2 years. Even at meetings there was no buzz. Hopefully it's a wake-up. I also think the party has become too HQ centric. The money and marketing ideas are largely poured into central events. Local branches stumble along with little or no direction and it becomes a postcode lottery. Need to get the action back on the streets.

This post nails it for me. Don't see what Cat Boyd or Tommy Sheridan have to do with SNP dropping seats they're utter nobodies (and snakes) and their repeated electoral shoeings show it. The SNP meanwhile have become complacent and looked lost in the campaign but tbf it was dropped without warning. It was the first time I've not seen the SNP set the agenda and instead were failing to effectively respond to Corbyn and his manifesto. You could see that in 2016 as well I thought but no other party really stood out there.

1 hour ago, Im_Rodger said:

Where's yer 50+ seats bud?

Where's your landslide or even a clear majority, m9?

49 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

1321 votes across 8 constituencies could have seen SNP lose another 8 seats.

And 2227 votes would've won Corbyn the election.

30 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Surely not...

Gerry Adams and the bhoys right now 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Labour wasn't a protest vote against Independence ffs it was a vote for Corbyn.

Correct. Our new Labour MP won by about 300 votes and I can say with certainty myself and a few others were voting for Corbs and we're reminded him of that.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

impose a divisive second referendum

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

They attempted to call a divisive second referendum

34 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Too much focus on independence rather than getting on with the day job.

27 minutes ago, Donathan said:

call a divisive second referendum

You people are actual sheep, man. Are you not capable of independent (no pun intended) thought and critical thinking? It's one thing to read the news, but it's something else entirely to let it influence you to the point where you just parrot soundbites from people who are literally lying to you.

8 minutes ago, BradHorse said:

You people are actual sheep, man. Are you not capable of independent (no pun intended) thought and critical thinking? It's one thing to read the news, but it's something else entirely to let it influence you to the point where you just parrot soundbites from people who are literally lying to you.

I hate to break this, but one is Lichtie4life's 307th alias and the other is simply an idiot. 

Labour wasn't a protest vote against Independence ffs it was a vote for Corbyn.

I know that. Just pointing out that if you wanted to protest against a second referendum, Labour up here were also standing on that platform. So were the Lib Dems.

3 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I hate to break this, but one is Lichtie4life's 307th alias and the other is simply an idiot. 

I see. I don't really keep with anyone's alias and I don't even know who Lichtie4life is. My bad.

I know that. Just pointing out that if you wanted to protest against a second referendum, Labour up here were also standing on that platform. So were the Lib Dems.

Aye kin.

It was in response to RaPundit. [emoji1360]

Unless you actually try and understand why they did rather than apportioning blame it will happen again.

I don't care why they did. I'm just a random punter.

I've never been a member of a political party and I've voted for everyone in Scotland bar the Tories, that Pensioner Party guy and the SSP and it's splinter groups.

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I'm guessing there was some tactical voting involved.

Either way, the SNP are still to blame for them going elsewhere in the first place.

Mail reporting a potential Amber Rudd/Michael Gove leadership bid. You'd imagine if that occurred then Rudd would need to find a new seat fairly quickly. Her majority is roughly 300.

Still going on about another referendum. Fucking hell.

Just wait for the inevitable f**k up of the Brexit negotiations and support for another referendum will be there. I don't think there would have been one before then anyway.

Geoff Aberdein was correct to say that the SNP campaign lacked a 'coherent narrative'. Obviously they still won a majority of Scottish seats, so it wasn't a terrible night - but it was certainly disappointing. Unionist tactical voters got smarter and some SNP 2015 voters leaked to Labour (and the other parties); there is little the SNP could do to prevent the first, but they could have done more to stop the second. There is no need for toys out of the pram, but hopefully a sober debate about what went right and wrong will be forthcoming. Maybe the contest to replace Robertson will give a platform for that sort of conversation to take place. 

It was a referendum campaign where only one side campaigned. The SNP tried to hide from the issue which meant that many pro-Yes supporters didn't have a reason to stay with the SNP.

Once IndyRef2 had been raised they really had to go balls out on it. I still don't know why they didn't at the very least put having a majority of SNP MPs as a rubber stamp to their mandate.

I'm guessing there was some tactical voting involved.
Either way, the SNP are still to blame for them going elsewhere in the first place.

Personally, I think a fair few previous SNP voters will have jumped ship to Labour because of Corbyn. Then in turn, previous Labour voters who were more about the union, were tactically voting Tory. Not sure if that's correct. Just a theory.

I definitely sympathise with Corbyn, but I just couldn't quite bring myself to vote Labour when that muppet Dugdale is the Scottish leader. Corbyn gave a better offer than the SNP.

Either way, all those folk jumping ship and the SNP still got the majority of the seats this time.

However, if independence is off the menu for a few years, then I can see Labour taking back a few more seats at the next Westminster election, now that Corbyn has proven he can get a huge number of voters to back him.

The thing is the people of Scotland probably won't trust the SNP again.

They attempted to call a divisive second referendum despite the fact that Scotland didn't want one, and even if they take it off the table it's very easy for the Tories and Labour to claim that the SNP will just call one anyway. Elections are about trust every bit as much as they are about policies.

Hiya Donnie pal! Hiya!

It's said that the only wish of the 19th Century Chartists who campaigned for universal suffrage etc. that wasn't eventually granted was Annual Parliaments.

Maybe it's time now.....! 

Archived