June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am seriously not big into politics these days. I was on holiday two years ago at the last election and I had a postal vote, but I didn't really pay much attention to the full results when I got home.

I looked at my own particular constituency result today. I see there was a 20% swing against the SNP and they still won with a bit to spare. 

I reckon the SNP claims of having a great result last night are somewhat overstated. I think their momentum has gone, and to be honest, I have no idea why. I thought independence was certain, not happening any time soon now though.

I am seriously not big into politics these days. I was on holiday two years ago at the last election and I had a postal vote, but I didn't really pay much attention to the full results when I got home.
I looked at my own particular constituency result today. I see there was a 20% swing against the SNP and they still won with a bit to spare. 
I reckon the SNP claims of having a great result last night are somewhat overstated. I think their momentum has gone, and to be honest, I have no idea why. I thought independence was certain, not happening any time soon now though.

It was a GE mate, nothing to do with independence

May is undoubtedly finished, it just remains a question as to when the party take her out. 

They have every right to be furious - i don;'t think I've ever seen such an arrogant individual stand for an office of that magnitude. Refused to meet people, shut out the media, had a shit manifesto and on top of that ran a campaign based on herself - she wasn't trying to become US President, for goodness sake. The other problem, of course, is that if you don't like meeting people then it is probably best you don't run for PM and let someone else do it, especially when your name is splattered all over a blue bus. 

The knives are out and I think there are another few in the wings sharpening theirs as well. No wonder - May made it about her, screwed it up massively and carries on as if nothing's happened. 

North east farmers and fishermen raging about the common agricultural policy / common fisheries policy and voting Tory / Brexit. Who negotiated CAP / CFP deals at the time and sold Scotland down the river for a EU rebate to appease middle England? Clue - it wasn't 'wee Jimmy Krankie' or 'fat Eck'. 

All the nationalistic 'us against them' Brexit pish would have had the ****, 'take back control weirdos', fermers and pensioners fired up to vote for Union parties.
When they find out that Brexit is a pile of shite and the Tories' austerity have cut taken everything to f**k they'll go back to the SNP.

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

It was a GE mate, nothing to do with independence

Of course it was. Everything that happens about politics in Scotland is about it these days, whether you like it or not. I am bored with it all now. I suspect a lot more than I am are as well. That is probably part of the reason why SNP had a bad night last night compared with two years ago. It just keeps getting rammed down your throat. It's boring now.

16 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Independence was gubbed in 2014 and the The SNP's baw was burst yesterday for the simple reason that only the loony fringe think that independence is still on the agenda.  This was the only clear message from our most recent plebiscite.

Ochil really surprised me. I stayed in that constituency for about 20 years and I can't remember it ever being Tory it was generally Labour from memory. I know it takes in Dollar Auchterarder, Crieff and Muckhart which are affluent but the Tories must have picked up votes in Alloa Sauchie Clackmannan Tullibody and the Hillfoots which are generally working class areas to get the result they did. 

The DUP propping up the Tories will end up in tears. They're militant, right wing christian nut jobs who make some of the evangelical, doomsday mongers in the U.S. seem reasonable. I can't wait to see the mess this is going to create. 

People like John Mason you mean?

Archived