June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Fide said:

Oh, hi I'm Rodger.  Since you're here, can you tell us if you support or oppose making abortions illegal, being against gay marriage, denying climate change and supporting the death penalty?

You're not Rodger, you're Fide.

Oh, hi I'm Rodger.  Since you're here, can you tell us if you support or oppose making abortions illegal, being against gay marriage, denying climate change and supporting the death penalty?

I am pro abortions, pro gay marriage, not a climate change denier but I do support capital punishment.

Just now, Im_Rodger said:

I am pro abortions, pro gay marriage, not a climate change denier but I do support capital punishment.

Thanks.  In that case, you may want to either change your political allegiances or drop your beliefs.

Your choice.

May really is thick as f**k. I wonder if she ran any of this past her shadow cabinet, as was.

The Tories have more factions than Labour. The Scottish bloc as well as the clarkist/soubryite tendency are not going to go for this. She might just scrape a queens speech through but she won't be able to implement it.

Then there's the Lords....

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

May really is thick as f**k. I wonder if she ran any of this past her shadow cabinet, as was.

The Tories have more factions than Labour. The Scottish bloc as well as the clarkist/soubryite tendency are not going to go for this. She might just scrape a queens speech through but she won't be able to implement it.

It's going to be complete chaos. I'm sort of looking forward to it :lol:

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

If the alternative was a Blairite rather than Corbyn she would have a major problem keeping her party in line over the DUP angle but they are not going to rock the boat and risk handing the keys of number ten to a hard left 1980s politician after the surge of enthusiasm for hard left policies that happened over the last few weeks which they simply didn't see coming. They need to give Labour time to tie itself in knots again over the Blairite vs Corbynista divide and they need to get Brexit out of the way so she gets the blame for what unfolds on that before dispensing with her services and trying their luck with a new leader. 

18 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If the alternative was a Blairite rather than Corbyn she would have a major problem keeping her party in line over the DUP angle but they are not going to rock the boat and risk handing the keys of number ten to a hard left 1980s politician after the surge of enthusiasm for hard left policies that happened over the last few weeks which they simply didn't see coming. They need to give Labour time to tie itself in knots again over the Blairite vs Corbynista divide and they need to get Brexit out of the way so she gets the blame for what unfolds on that before dispensing with her services and trying their luck with a new leader. 

That why I I think they get the Queens speech through and then she will be filleted.

It's more than the DUP, it's the whole nature of the Brexit deal. Her damascene conversion to hard Brexit is not shared by anything like a majority in the house and some pretty public figures on her own benches.

They will have been negotiating an outline deal for the past week or so, you'd think!

Don't be bloody ridiculous. I can't imagine anyone in the Tory Party leadership even considered the possibility of a hung parliament given the poll leads that they had.

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

More like 20% when you add in the Labour Corbyn voters that'll be returning back to the only show.

I think the reverse journey is likelier.

Lots of SNP voters from Thursday (and I'm one of them) will see independence as less appealing and necessary if the Tories are seen as beatable in the UK. 

More of that vote will shift towards Corbyn than a Labour vote flit back, if we have another GE soon.

it's given a vague mention as a possibility here but nothing concrete. 
There's surely not a cat in hell's chance such a vote would get through parliament. 

Theresa May appears to be just about incompetent enough to try it. It would, of course, result in mass defections, the collapse of the administration and another election a matter of weeks after the last.

In short, a splendid idea.

That why I I think they get the Queens speech through and then she will be filleted.

It's more than the DUP, it's the whole nature of the Brexit deal. Her damascene conversion to hard Brexit is not shared by anything like a majority in the house and some pretty public figures on her own benches.

Think/hope she'll soften the hard Brexit thing somewhat using the DUP's concerns over the NI border as the face saving way out of that. Time will tell obviously.

Archived