June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the reverse journey is likelier.
Lots of SNP voters from Thursday (and I'm one of them) will see independence as less appealing and necessary if the Tories are seen as beatable in the UK. 
More of that vote will shift towards Corbyn than a Labour vote flit back, if we have another GE soon.

There will still be folk who would be happy enough to see Corbyn in power, but who know it's only a matter of time until the Tories get in again.

Saying that, given the success of the Tories up here, maybe we'd get the same thing happening post-independence. Maybe it's just the nature of it that no matter what the political party, everyone gets pissed off with them after a while.

19 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

There will still be folk who would be happy enough to see Corbyn in power, but who know it's only a matter of time until the Tories get in again.

Saying that, given the success of the Tories up here, maybe we'd get the same thing happening post-independence. Maybe it's just the nature of it that no matter what the political party, everyone gets pissed off with them after a while.

There would a substantial centre right vote in Scotland post independence anyway. It might even be the predominant government. 

Anyone think that a couple of Conservative backbenchers may threaten to go rogue on the Queen's Speech?

It needs 322 votes with Sinn Fein abstaining and the speakers' neutrality. A deal with full DUP support for an agenda would put them on 327 which would mean they have made it by six votes. If the deal was for DUP to abstain (which may happen if there are concerns in Ireland and it's more palpable to do it in this way), they would retain their 317 but literally be one away from collapse (317 is a majority without DUP, Sinn Fein and Speaker).

I think it's probably likely they'll get it over the line but this is a Conservative party that is tearing itself apart over Brexit and to appease one faction (i.e. market access), it looks inevitable that another will be pissed off. They are an absolute mess and you could imagine that 9 days from the Queen's Speech, there will be a lot of background plotting and people trying to stab each other in the back. It's really not inconceivable that somebody at some level will make a gamble in a power move and accidentally collapse the house of cards.

I'd be advising each party to have plans to transition back to an election footing in a matter of days.

There's only six weeks until parliament goes to recess. Two years ago, Labour were going though there replacment leader programme. In their absence the SNP positioned themselves as the "opposition" and spent as much time mocking the dishevelled Labour lot as trying to spit peas at a Tory government who focussed on hammering through a number of laws they had in abeyance when the Libs were loitering around.

This time, the six weeks is going to be even more critical. One of the things that got Corbyn so close was an apparently better cohesion between the Labour Revivalists and the parliamentary Conformists. Hopefully, those who thought the New Labour model was right will now realise, in this time, that Corbyn's ideas are their best chance. Whether he can deliver on his manifesto is highly debatable but it's proven to be the better option. At the same time, the SNP have to realise that on their own they're not going to flip this sinking ship over. With the SDLP and the UUP out of it, the anti-austerity coalition couldn't be clearer. They all bang on about being the party of the people. They've got the best opportunity ever in their lifetimes to prove that. Even with the DUP (and it may yet not go that way), which is a great excuse for Remainers to disobey the Whip, a united Opposition can, with the help of a couple of dissdent Tory's (Soubray was livid with May yesterday) easily bring down this Government. I

f they don't work together it'll be a miss on an Iwelumo level.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think the reverse journey is likelier.

Lots of SNP voters from Thursday (and I'm one of them) will see independence as less appealing and necessary if the Tories are seen as beatable in the UK. 

More of that vote will shift towards Corbyn than a Labour vote flit back, if we have another GE soon.

That is possible and is incredibly naive.

In an independent Scotland we have a real possibility of a progressive, tolerant caring society that doesn't stray to far from a centre left position.

Stick with the UK then there's always the likelihood that at various points in the future we will be subjected to the sort of hard right-wing policies that the vast majority of Scots have never subscribed to.

That is possible and is incredibly naive.
In an independent Scotland we have a real possibility of a progressive, tolerant caring society that doesn't stray to far from a centre left position.
Stick with the UK then there's always the likelihood that at various points in the future we will be subjected to the sort of hard right-wing policies that the vast majority of Scots have never subscribed to.

As another old fart with a long memory of what the tories did to Scotland, excellent point well made GD

53 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Yeah, we should kill murderers because killing is wrong.

And let's not even bother too much if we have the wrong people.

Derek Bentley/Timothy Evans/Guildford Four/Birmingham Six/Barry George/etc. etc.

36 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Anyone think that a couple of Conservative backbenchers may threaten to go rogue on the Queen's Speech?

It needs 322 votes with Sinn Fein abstaining and the speakers' neutrality. A deal with full DUP support for an agenda would put them on 327 which would mean they have made it by six votes. If the deal was for DUP to abstain (which may happen if there are concerns in Ireland and it's more palpable to do it in this way), they would retain their 317 but literally be one away from collapse (317 is a majority without DUP, Sinn Fein and Speaker).

I think it's probably likely they'll get it over the line but this is a Conservative party that is tearing itself apart over Brexit and to appease one faction (i.e. market access), it looks inevitable that another will be pissed off. They are an absolute mess and you could imagine that 9 days from the Queen's Speech, there will be a lot of background plotting and people trying to stab each other in the back. It's really not inconceivable that somebody at some level will make a gamble in a power move and accidentally collapse the house of cards.

I'd be advising each party to have plans to transition back to an election footing in a matter of days.

I'm amazed at how little media coverage is being given to the possibility of Tory backbenchers rebelling.

They have always managed to put the "revolting" in "revolting Tories".

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

5 live reporting that may has been given an ultimatum. Sack her two chiefs of staff or face a vote of no confidence.

That's quite a ballsy move. Basically keeping her on as their bitch.

Not surprising though. There was talk on 5Live yesterday that the two of them had been undermining Crosby by telling folk to head off and do other things after he had given them instructions during the campaign.

5 live reporting that may has been given an ultimatum. Sack her two chiefs of staff or face a vote of no confidence.

That's quite a ballsy move. Basically keeping her on as their bitch.

Usually, she'd be gone by now. The one thing you can give the Tory party credit for is that they are ruthless at dealing with leaders who don't produce results. Of course, it's all fucked over this time because Brexit negotiations are away to start. Anyway, as we've seen from her keeping every main cabinet post the same, May can't afford to piss anyone off.

Archived