June 8th General Election

Mudder

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

I wonder why, financial issues? I guess
if it's a struggle for a party like Labour to fund a snap election it must be brutal for a smaller party.

Maybe they don't want to split the anti Tory vote. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Yes, I do believe they should. I'm not claiming they do, but I think they should. I have absolutely no ideological issue with some rich Bupa insured man living in Stockbridge paying extra tax in order to help people in Hull.

I'm not talking about Hull or any other city. I'm talking about Scottish taxpayers paying a population share of national infrastructure projects down South that have absolutely no benefit to the Scottish taxpayer whilst they have to pay full whack out the block grant for anything being built in Scotland. It's been like that for years, it's not pulling and sharing if it only goes one way. If independence does happen there will be savings to be made by simply not spending money on any auld shite that Westminster decides is a "national infrastructure project".

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This could be the first election in decades with clear choices. A straightforwardly left wing Labour Party v an avowedly right wing xenophobic Tory Party in England and Wales, and right wing Unionists v everyone else in Scotland. Fuk knows in Northern Ireland. Can't wait.

I havent seen any avowing of xenophobia by the Conservative party.

I think that's your interpretation......unless you can supply a link to an official of the Conservatives avowing to be xenophobic..

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This could be the first election in decades with clear choices. A straightforwardly left wing Labour Party v an avowedly right wing xenophobic Tory Party in England and Wales, and right wing Unionists v everyone else in Scotland. Fuk knows in Northern Ireland. Can't wait.

I'd imagine NI will be the same as it always is.

On the point of "pressing the button", surely there is no need currently for any British PM to require to? By the time we have asked the Americans for permission, Kim Jong-Un, Putin and Trump will have theirs in the air, so what's the point in us firing too?

19 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd imagine NI will be the same as it always is.

On the point of "pressing the button", surely there is no need currently for any British PM to require to? By the time we have asked the Americans for permission, Kim Jong-Un, Putin and Trump will have theirs in the air, so what's the point in us firing too?

Because we're a super power and that's what super powers do.

Scottish Greens confirmed as only standing in 3 constituencies, down from 32 in 2015: Edinburgh North & Leith, Glasgow North and Falkirk. 

Kind of puts their whining about exclusion from STV into context, doesn't it?

As refreshing as that may sound, Johnny Foreigner bashing will still win the day, so both sides of the 'divide' will still run with that.
As an aside: Is there one fisherman's representative that they stick on the TV that isn't a complete simpleton?
Pre Brexit:
'Na na na na na na na na, Fishing!'
Post Brexit:
'I call it the non CFP Omni-Net'

I think Corbyn briefly flirted with the idea of abandoning support for freedom of movement but Diane Abbott prevented it. There's plenty to criticise her for but I'm glad her firm stance on immigration is influential in the party. Its refreshing to see a party pro-immigration and not openly talking about "low-value" people.

Also someone mentioning Kinnock in a positive sense is, er, interesting. Wasn't he invoking Vichy France last week?

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Can't see it but presume that is the 1st preference vote applied onto the GE seats by the FT

It is nonsense, particularly the Highlands and Islands which won't go independent. 

Tories will not get 18 seats but some of the seats are in play depending on tactical voting. Wouldn't surprise me to see Tories sweep the borders.  

C_iGIQsXkAAtCur.jpg 

This is the long and the short of it. The article doesn't even really take into account the different voting system, turnout or the fact it's a local fucking election into account.

C_iGIQsXkAAtCur.jpg 

This is the long and the short of it. The article doesn't even really take into account the different voting system, turnout or the fact it's a local fucking election into account.

This is good..
Let's the perception of this flow across our bonny country. Then when SNP return a whopping 50 Seats, what a fukin mandate

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

This is good..
Let's the perception of this flow across our bonny country. Then when SNP return a whopping 50 Seats, what a fukin mandate

They don't need a further mandate. They already have an iron-clad mandate.

C_iLEyQXUAEEvJL.jpg

He'd have a job nationalising energy but apart from that this seems eminently sensible.  Also removing student fees, which is awkward for those that argue that Scotland's student fees policy involves a massive transfer of wealth from poor students to rich.

11 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'm fine with much of that. Many of those pledges, however, should ideally be proposed by a leadership broadly perceived as competent, secure and trustworthy if enough of the electorate is going to vote for the party proposing them - even if some central components of the policy package are relatively popular amongst the public when examined individually (such as rail renationalisation, for example). Labour have totally failed to build such a perception or relationship with the electorate, so I would expect much of their manifesto to fall on deaf ears regardless of the merits of the policies and details contained within. 

They could always prove me wrong, though. 

Problem with that manifesto is it's probably too much to achieve and implement.

The transport side is where I work and some of the manifesto sounds very expensive. People forget that the nationalised companies were not exactly brilliant or well loved.  

Archived