Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

The Yougov predictions could just be push polling to make sure the conservative vote gets out.

They would be burning their reputation down in doing this, but not beyond the bounds of possibility, especially when there seems to be such discrepancy between the polling agencies.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

There's an even more sinister level from this piece a while back in the Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

Regarding Ipsos, are you allowed to publish polls on election day itself?

I don't think you are allowed to do that.

I think you can release them whenever you want, as long as it's not information obtained from people who have already voted and the polls are still open.

I think you can release them whenever you want, as long as it's not information obtained from people who have already voted and the polls are still open.

You're right, I've just asked someone far more knowledgeable than I on these matters!

7 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I had better things to do with my time than googling to find out what the latest name for that constituency was. I think the meaning was still clear.

It's not just a question of a name change though.

The constituencies you mixed up are quite different.  The Galloway and Upper Nithsdale one contained none of the town of Dumfries, whereas the Dumfries and Galloway seat houses virtually all of it.

The meaning is clear enough, but a bit of accuracy with such things doesn't go amiss.

Just can't see anything other than a Tory majority. Corbyn's just ran out of time, and I don't think the terror attacks helped his case either, opening the doors to the outrageous slurs on the front pages today (god knows what awaits tomorrow)

The rats will come out tomorrow. Increased majority. SNP to end up on 53.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

46 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

There's an even more sinister level from this piece a while back in the Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

These are both excellent, albeit incredibly disturbing, articles.

One of my Facebook friends appeared on my timeline, this morning, as 'liking' Tommy Robinson. I posted a "?" In response then went back, this afternoon, to see if anyone else had slagged him off for it. It turns out the page he had liked was Visit Australia. This isn't the first time I've seen this & I put it down to some friends becoming c*nts, is this some kind of hack?

10 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

One of my Facebook friends appeared on my timeline, this morning, as 'liking' Tommy Robinson. I posted a "?" In response then went back, this afternoon, to see if anyone else had slagged him off for it. It turns out the page he had liked was Visit Australia. This isn't the first time I've seen this & I put it down to some friends becoming c*nts, is this some kind of hack?

Facebook friends :lol:

37 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

I heard  john curtice on Jeremy vine today and they were mentioning his exit poll in 2015.

Does anyone know how accurate it was

They never predicted an outright Conservative majority but they were far ahead on 316 seats to Labour on 239. Actual result was 330-232 with seats predicted for Labour, Lib Dems, UKIP and independents going Conservative.

It was considered pretty controversial at the time but you could tell by the very first polls that come in (about an hour after) that were from strong Labour holds that UKIP were haemorrhaging quite a bit of their expected vote share and that continued to be a trend throughout the night.

They never predicted an outright Conservative majority but they were far ahead on 316 seats to Labour on 239. Actual result was 330-232 with seats predicted for Labour, Lib Dems, UKIP and independents going Conservative.
It was considered pretty controversial at the time but you could tell by the very first polls that come in (about an hour after) that were from strong Labour holds that UKIP were haemorrhaging quite a bit of their expected vote share and that continued to be a trend throughout the night.

Was he not pretty much bang on in Scotland (with the first reactions being utter derision from Yoon politicians)?