Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

13 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

That poll has Ian Blackford losing his seat (despite the SNP going up to 49).  I could see the SNP getting that number but surely he'd retain his seat.

These polls assume a uniform national swing, and Blackford is in an area where the Lib Dems are the main opposition (traditionally, although the Tories did finish 2nd last time), so their vote share increase takes them into 1st in that constituency. However, the polls don't take into account that the Lib Dems will do proportionally worse in Scotland because down here they're hoovering up the remain vote almost entirely, whereas up in Scotland they're only hoovering up the remainers who oppose independence whereas the SNP pick up the remainers who voted yes to independence.

I'd expect Blackford to hold his seat, albeit perhaps with the Lib Dems retaking second place and eating into Blackford's majority.

18 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

That poll has Ian Blackford losing his seat (despite the SNP going up to 49).  I could see the SNP getting that number but surely he'd retain his seat.

Find it all a bit strange seeing as we’ve just had an election and the SNP schoosed it in that constituency.

I hear Alistar Carmichael is somewhere in Ross, Skye and Lochaber tomorrow though so no doubt this will be getting a mention.

Edited by Londonwell

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:
New YouGov UK GE poll
LD 24%
Brexit 22%
Labour 19%
Cons 19%
We live in interesting times.

If the Torys want to survive they need to go hard hard brexit

The problem now is that there's barely such thing as a soft-Brexiteer anymore. Everyone either seems to want no deal or revoke and stay in. The Tories could come out for no deal but it will piss off probably 1/3 of their core vote to the Lib Dems, whereas going for second referendum pisses off the rest to the Brexit party. I see no way that the Tory party survives in its current form.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

These polls assume a uniform national swing, and Blackford is in an area where the Lib Dems are the main opposition (traditionally, although the Tories did finish 2nd last time), so their vote share increase takes them into 1st in that constituency. However, the polls don't take into account that the Lib Dems will do proportionally worse in Scotland because down here they're hoovering up the remain vote almost entirely, whereas up in Scotland they're only hoovering up the remainers who oppose independence whereas the SNP pick up the remainers who voted yes to independence.

I'd expect Blackford to hold his seat, albeit perhaps with the Lib Dems retaking second place and eating into Blackford's majority.

That makes a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Find it all a bit strange seeing as we’ve just had an election and the SNP schoosed it in that constituency.

I hear Alistar Carmichael is somewhere in Ross, Skye and Lochaber tomorrow though so no doubt this will be getting a mention.

Calm doon, these polls are on uniform swings and the Lib Dem national share has gone through the roof.

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:
New YouGov UK GE poll
LD 24%
Brexit 22%
Labour 19%
Cons 19%
We live in interesting times.

If the Torys want to survive they need to go hard hard brexit

Aye, f**k the WTO as well as the EU. :death

The only precedent worth noting is the Lib Dems shitting their wee pants and going into coalition with the Tories. They are very responsible for this mess and should not be allowed near government again. 

Yeah, a sizeable Lib Dem vote just shows that plenty of Remainers will allow any amount of Tory enabling if they have the right attitude to EU membership. Nobody in the Lib Dem’s ever showed any contrition for the coalition, they all loved it.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Yeah, a sizeable Lib Dem vote just shows that plenty of Remainers will allow any amount of Tory enabling if they have the right attitude to EU membership. Nobody in the Lib Dem’s ever showed any contrition for the coalition, they all loved it.

Who else should they vote for in England?

54 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Who else should they vote for in England?

This.  It’s the worst of all options unless Labour gets its shit together which is looking unlikely.

It would help if Momentum took a firm pro-Remain position and started campaigning on it.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This.  It’s the least worst of all options unless Labour gets its shit together which is looking unlikely.

It would help if Momentum took a firm pro-Remain position and started campaigning on it.

FTFY I think.

That's why the Torys now have to back a hard brexit. Their whole survival is at stake here. Hopefully the party doesn't and dies. Evil cuntz