Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

10 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Will anyone care? 

I'm not even sure Jo Swinson would notice. 

Glenfud on here would care. He and Willie seem very keen on the use of "divisive referendum".

9 minutes ago, Glenanover said:

No.

A referendum like the independence one splits the people. It causes a lot of division and hatred. You only have to read threads on here to see that. 

Referendum's are the most direct form of democracy, the only other option is letting the Scottish parliament decide whether we should be Independent or not.

Would you prefer we did it that way ?

11 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Referendum's are the most direct form of democracy, the only other option is letting the Scottish parliament decide whether we should be Independent or not.

Would you prefer we did it that way ?

I don't want another referendum. We had one in 2014 and there shouldn't be another one for at least the next twenty years.

And the Scottish parliament should not decide, the people did in 2014.

38 minutes ago, Glenanover said:

Glenfud ? How mature.

And another referendum would be divisive.

Of course it would, that's literally the nature of democracy, to weigh options by divising their popularity with the franchise. The only non divisive form of politics is a one party state.

I don't want another referendum. We had one in 2014 and there shouldn't be another one for at least the next twenty years.
And the Scottish parliament should not decide, the people did in 2014.

If the current SNP government decides there shouldn’t be another election until 2036, because we decided in 2016, would that be acceptable to you?

5 minutes ago, renton said:

Of course it would, that's literally the nature of democracy, to weigh options by divising their popularity with the franchise. The only non divisive form of politics is a one party state.

We had one, we don't need and a lot of people don't want another one. Not for at least another twenty years. My family and friends are sick of hearing about it.

Just now, Glenanover said:

We had one, we don't need and a lot of people don't want another one. Not for at least another twenty years. My family and friends are sick of hearing about it.

I'm sick of hearing about your family and friends, but that's the nature of a free society.

You can't silence an argument because your afraid of the outcome. Your arguments are entirely arbitrary  - why  20 years? Why don't we need another one? What's any of that got to do with having had the last one?

Nothing.

Democracy is a test of opinion. The arguments that are put forward are the ones that are popular. If you want this big, bad, scary question to go away your going to have to convince enough people not to vote for the SNP or Greens.

5 minutes ago, renton said:

I'm sick of hearing about your family and friends, but that's the nature of a free society.

You can't silence an argument because your afraid of the outcome. Your arguments are entirely arbitrary  - why  20 years? Why don't we need another one? What's any of that got to do with having had the last one?

Nothing.

Democracy is a test of opinion. The arguments that are put forward are the ones that are popular. If you want this big, bad, scary question to go away your going to have to convince enough people not to vote for the SNP or Greens.

Once in a generation. Look at the hatred and division this whole thing is still causing hanging over our heads. Time to move on.

Unfortunately Labour is screwed in Scotland. I would love to be able to convince enough people not to vote for the snp or greens. I do my bit.

Once in a generation. Look at the hatred and division this whole thing is still causing hanging over our heads. Time to move on.

Unfortunately Labour is screwed in Scotland. I would love to be able to convince enough people not to vote for the snp or greens. I do my bit.

"Once in a generation" was in neither the Edinburgh agreement, nor the ballot paper. So no idea why your bothering to bring it up. 

I know plenty of people who voted differently to me, and who I profoundly disagree with them on the issue, I can do that without hating them, or being hated in return because that's frankly a sign of mature discussion. If you ended up hating people after the referendum that's your own fucking problem.

As for division? Good, it's healthy to have division. That must be tempered with mechanisms that allow that division to be expressed but also allow for the continuance of governance. Happily we have an approximation of that. 

Labour are screwed precisely because of empty headed, immature drivel about "time to move on" or "divisive referendums". f**k  'em.

10 minutes ago, renton said:

"Once in a generation" was in neither the Edinburgh agreement, nor the ballot paper. So no idea why your bothering to bring it up. 

I know plenty of people who voted differently to me, and who I profoundly disagree with them on the issue, I can do that without hating them, or being hated in return because that's frankly a sign of mature discussion. If you ended up hating people after the referendum that's your own fucking problem.

As for division? Good, it's healthy to have division. That must be tempered with mechanisms that allow that division to be expressed but also allow for the continuance of governance. Happily we have an approximation of that. 

Labour are screwed precisely because of empty headed, immature drivel about "time to move on" or "divisive referendums". f**k  'em.

I didn't end up hating anyone but I have seen plenty that did. On both sides.

And going by a lot of threads on here there is a lot of hatred still going on.

11 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

The SNP have a new referendum in their manifesto at each election and the people keep voting for them. How dare "once in a generation" unionists stand in the way of the people?

Another referendum is not what Scotland needs just now imo and 99% of people I know.

I didn't end up hating anyone but I have seen plenty that did. On both sides.

And going by a lot of threads on here there is a lot of hatred still going on.

I honestly haven't.

As for the threads on here, you can't possibly judge people's emotional states from an online medium. Language might be robust at times, arguments may be ridiculed or dismissed but this is not a sign of hatred.