Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In Ashcroft's poll a month ago 47% said they thought there should be an independence referendum within the next 2 years, with 45% disagreeing.

You're either mistaken about what your friends think or you don't have a broad range of friends.

I do have a broad range of friends. 

The vast majority are Unionists. That is not deliberate, its just the way it has happened. There is a few that support independence. And they are not all snp supporters.

Just now, Glenanover said:

I do have a broad range of friends. 

The vast majority are Unionists. That is not deliberate, its just the way it has happened. There is a few that support independence. And they are not all snp supporters.

By defnition, you do not have a broad range of friend. If you did, you would have more that support independence and more than support the SNP. You're not arguing with me here, you're arguing with maths.

It's alright not to have many friends whose politics you disagree with. People will tend to come together with those with similar interests and values. That's fine. Just don't kid yourself on that it's in any way representative of the Scottish public, because there's any amount of proof that it's not. 

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

By defnition, you do not have a broad range of friend. If you did, you would have more that support independence and more than support the SNP. You're not arguing with me here, you're arguing with maths.

It's alright not to have many friends whose politics you disagree with. People will tend to come together with those with similar interests and values. That's fine. Just don't kid yourself on that it's in any way representative of the Scottish public, because there's any amount of proof that it's not. 

I'm not kidding myself at all. I know support for the snp and independence is big, unfortunately. 

Yet 99% of people I know, believe the time is right for another referendum for both them and Scotland. Does that balance it out?

Another referendum is not what Scotland needs just now imo and 99% of people I know.

No, I do not want one. My opinion.

And you’re allowed to not want one. I don’t agree with you, but it’s a legitimate opinion.

What is not a legitimate opinion is to argue that there shouldn’t be one because of either ‘divisiveness’ or that ‘we’ve had one’, as these go against the fabric of democratic decision making. Glad we cleared that up for you.

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

And you’re allowed to not want one. I don’t agree with you, but it’s a legitimate opinion.

What is not a legitimate opinion is to argue that there shouldn’t be one because of either ‘divisiveness’ or that ‘we’ve had one’, as these go against the fabric of democratic decision making. Glad we cleared that up for you.

I don't agree with you. 

Just now, Glenanover said:

I'm not kidding myself at all. I know support for the snp and independence is big, unfortunately. 

Then how on Earth can you comment that 99% don't want a referendum now, and stand by it as though it's representative of anything?

I've got friends who are supporters of 5 different parties (though the Tories among them wouldn't vote for them at the moment), including members of four different parties. On left-right socio-economic issues I'm pretty broad minded. Most voted Yes but about a third voted No, which is fairly representative of my demographic. But none of my friends support Leave. I'm very unlikely to be friends with someone with values like that, because I'm a bleeding-hearted libtard. I know that one in three of those in Scotland who voted, voted for Leave, so I know my friends aren't representative. Nor would I want them to be. Just be honest with yourself - your friends are like you, which is why you like them and they like you. And their views on politics are likely to be just like yours, which means they won't be like mine or much of the rest of the country.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Then how on Earth can you comment that 99% don't want a referendum now, and stand by it as though it's representative of anything?

I've got friends who are supporters of 5 different parties (though the Tories among them wouldn't vote for them at the moment), including members of four different parties. On left-right socio-economic issues I'm pretty broad minded. Most voted Yes but about a third voted No, which is fairly representative of my demographic. But none of my friends support Leave. I'm very unlikely to be friends with someone with values like that, because I'm a bleeding-hearted libtard. I know that one in three of those in Scotland who voted, voted for Leave, so I know my friends aren't representative. Nor would I want them to be. Just be honest with yourself - your friends are like you, which is why you like them and they like you. And their views on politics are likely to be just like yours, which means they won't be like mine or much of the rest of the country.

99% of my friends and family.

And yes the majority have views on politics like mine. And I agree they are most probably not like yours. Your views are not like much of the rest of the country either.

25 minutes ago, Glenanover said:

99% of my friends and family.

And yes the majority have views on politics like mine. And I agree they are most probably not like yours. Your views are not like much of the rest of the country either.

Yoons, Brexiteers and Tories don't want another vote now because they know what will happen.

It's that simple.

4 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Yoons, Brexiteers and Tories don't want another vote now because they know what will happen.

It's that simple.

It is not that simple at all. We do not know what would happen apart from more division and uncertainty for Scotland and its people. 

6 minutes ago, Glenanover said:

It is not that simple at all. We do not know what would happen apart from more division and uncertainty for Scotland and its people. 

Independence is on it's way.

You'll need to decide where you are moving too, I hear Wales is popular.

1 minute ago, Glenanover said:

"families torn apart", "neighbours at each others throats", "brother against brother, sister against sister", "People with English accents being attacked on the streets", "English people who've lived in Scottish communities for decades now fearing for their lives" etc, etc, etc.

Best to leave that mince to the likes of Quentin Letts and the Daily Mail.

In reality you get a few punters with "Yes flags" or stickers displayed on their windows, another few with saltires or Union flags in their gardens and the odd discussion "doon the pub" but as for "division" and "uncertainty", that's just msm codwallop.

Life is in fact "uncertain" and of course there's been nothing more "uncertain" than the pantomime act being carried out by the various Tory leaders and cabinets that we've gone through over the past few years and I'm afraid we're still no further forward.............