CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

It's early days yet, but Clyde seem to be putting together a goddamn capable team. Whether they'll be able to emulate the great Queen's Park side of 2007 and completely blow away all opposition with fast, free-flowing silky soccer remains to be seen, but the early signs are certainly good.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness thought Innes came over really well probably the best I have heard anyone speak since the McDonald days again it all about whether he can deliver or is allowed to deliver

We have a strong support when it's pulling in the same direction and don't care what anyone says potentially big in numbers in terms of lower league clubs witness support taken to Ayr in the midst of a horrendous run if results

He has to be given a chance and I think he will be, but we can't spend much more time in the bottom tier of Scottish football

But if our calibre if signings is anything like goodwillie then I think there is room for optimism

We need a sustained run of results to get the fans really believing been to many false dawns

Onwards and upwards

A pre season friendly in Catalonia next year would be the business get that to the top of the list Norrie [emoji6]

7 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

In all seriousness thought Innes came over really well probably the best I have heard anyone speak since the McDonald days again it all about whether he can deliver or is allowed to deliver

We have a strong support when it's pulling in the same direction and don't care what anyone says potentially big in numbers in terms of lower league clubs witness support taken to Ayr in the midst of a horrendous run if results

He has to be given a chance and I think he will be, but we can't spend much more time in the bottom tier of Scottish football

But if our calibre if signings is anything like goodwillie then I think there is room for optimism

We need a sustained run of results to get the fans really believing been to many false dawns

Onwards and upwards

A pre season friendly in Catalonia next year would be the business get that to the top of the list Norrie emoji6.png

The mood can lift very quickly. Ultimately though it is results that change that and also a pulling together and support of good leadership. The Hibs support was riven with factions and pretty angry. Now Hibs have sold 11000 seasons and confidence is very high (possibly too high!) 

Given Clyde's history there is probably no club in Scotland (outside Third Lanark) that is so under-performing its potential. Equally the club has survived many challenges that would have sunk others- the loss of your ground, near bankruptcy and dreadful results and people still care. Clyde are probably bigger than Hamilton yet they have just had a few seasons in the top flight. Clyde have been down for two long- the wheel can turn but you do need a focused leadership- glad Norrie seems to be impressive and good luck for the season.

Onwards and upwards

A pre season friendly in Catalonia next year would be the business get that to the top of the list Norrie [emoji6]

Fully agree.

The proof of the pudding, however, is in the eating.

What I did like was his reluctance to make over optimistic predictions of where we'll be in unrealistic timescales.

"Poc a poc" seems the right way of doing it. I've being saying that for years but in very poor English.

What do we all think of moving to the east end of Glasgow?. After Saturday's meeting this is definitely on the cards IMO.

NI is involved in the regeneration business and the east end of Glasgow is prime for this.

I might be wrong but this is why NI is involved with the club.

What do we all think of moving to the east end of Glasgow?. After Saturday's meeting this is definitely on the cards IMO.

NI is involved in the regeneration business and the east end of Glasgow is prime for this.

I might be wrong but this is why NI is involved with the club.

Hopefully we can get some thing suited to our needs near to our "cultural roots".

In my opinion, Broadwood will never work. It's sterile, too expensive, it's out of town, it's too big and for me, it totally lacks atmosphere and hence an exciting match day experience.

The stadium needs to fit our needs.We need to be within a community, with transport links, pubs etc. Watching Clyde should be as convenient and enjoyable as possible.

However, I do believe the decision needs to be made as soon as possible as we all know what happens when these things are delayed and rumours fill the void.

All fans, not just members, should be consulted even if the decision is made by the members.

Was interesting that innes said the club was "sick " in just about every aspect of it's areas he then said the directors are all good guy's and just need lead ? "Maybe one other person needed "
So basically he said the club was a badly run, why then would you want to retain that management running the club?
As said let's see what he comes up with and what actions he takes if we are getting results and the bank balance looks healthy then all good
At the end of the day it's a fans run club ( allegedly) so if we don't like what he is doing then join up and demand change

Ps why is he negotiating with the council over broadwood if we have a stadium director ? Thought that would have been his role

It wont be him as he is a complete bomb scare, its time for him to GTF.

My view if we end up in a stadium, that looks like the 5 or so juniors grounds we wanted to ground share, its time to switch the lights off.

First impressions count and this would send out the wrong signals to current, elapsed fans and potential new ones.

I'm not saying we need a 6k plus stadium from day one, but we need to have a stadium that can grow with us if needed.

The model banded around was Annan, look at this ground if you have ever been, that location will never provide a 6k plus stadium.

Look at Dumbarton moved to a new location, looking to move again after a very short period because the location doesn't suit for further development.

Norrie please consider this

It wont be him as he is a complete bomb scare, its time for him to GTF.
My view if we end up in a stadium, that looks like the 5 or so juniors grounds we wanted to ground share, its time to switch the lights off.
First impressions count and this would send out the wrong signals to current, elapsed fans and potential new ones.
I'm not saying we need a 6k plus stadium from day one, but we need to have a stadium that can grow with us if needed.
The model banded around was Annan, look at this ground if you have ever been, that location will never provide a 6k plus stadium.
Look at Dumbarton moved to a new location, looking to move again after a very short period because the location doesn't suit for further development.

I don't believe we will ever require a 6k capacity ground. No matter how successful we are in the future. Look at Hamilton and Inverness. It's very difficult to increase core support.

We need to be realistic in our ambitions.

Think small, always will be small

This is a genuine question.

Can you name one team in Scotland that has dramatically improved their attendance over a period of time? I mean by multiples of the existing support.

For us to regularly be close to filling a 6k capacity stadium we would need to increase our home support by 1000% (x10). It'll never happen.

My view is not a lack of ambition, it's realism.

Who wants to rattle around an empty white elephant of a stadium every Saturday in the hope we draw the old firm in a cup game every 5 years. I've done that for years and it's shit.

22 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

This is a genuine question.

Can you name one team in Scotland that has dramatically improved their attendance over a period of time? I mean by multiples of the existing support.

For us to regularly be close to filling a 6k capacity stadium we would need to increase our home support by 1000% (x10). It'll never happen.

My view is not a lack of ambition, it's realism.

Who wants to rattle around an empty white elephant of a stadium every Saturday in the hope we draw the old firm in a cup game every 5 years. I've done that for years and it's shit.

Spoiler

Not many  buy I guess Ross and Inverness have grown their support significantly over the last 20 odd years. Hibs have probably doubled their support over the last 3. Clyde seem to be down to 500-600- that is perhaps only a third of what you got 20 odd years ago so i guess there is some potential to re-build. People might stop watching Clyde, but I'll bet they still support the club and would come back if the 'product' was better. You are right 6000 is a big ask but I would have thought if Clyde could get into the Championship (not impossible on 5 year view and must be the target, surely) gates of 2000+ may be possible.

I agree with  a previous poster that you need to re-build community, a stadium needs to be near pub's etc and not plastic in the middle of nowhere. The idea of starting with a ground of perhaps 2-3k capacity with the ability to add on must be the way forward. Also try and ensure you own it - not rent for obvious reasons......

3 hours ago, GYSPY ARMY said:

Dumbarton aren't moving for further development. They are potentially moving as the owners want to sell the current sight for house development. Dumbarton have been in the same league as Rangers, Hibs and Hearts and have sold out their ground a handful of times. Something of that size would be sufficient for us. Even when we were top of the old first division we couldn't pull in 2K.

I wouldn't be keen to move the equivalent of a junior ground but at the same time we do not need another Broadwood and if you are considering something along the size of the current ground then it wont be anywhere near the city centre and we will end up in the same situation of being saddled with a ground in the middle of nowhere.

Archived