Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

He should never have left and we would still be a championship team, really struggling to forgive him.

Pull yourself together, he moved to better himself and his family. I would welcome him back with open arms. 

Pull yourself together, he moved to better himself and his family. I would welcome him back with open arms. 

No he didn't it's pretty obvious that he would have been happier at Somerset. The manager and owner stood by him and offered him a good a contract. Yes he moved for slightly more money but by all accounts his family haven't settled in Dunfermline and in hindsight he would probably agree that staying at Ayr was the right move for him. If he had stayed I'm sure we would have survived in the championship

4 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

No he didn't it's pretty obvious that he would have been happier at Somerset. The manager and owner stood by him and offered him a good a contract. Yes he moved for slightly more money but by all accounts his family haven't settled in Dunfermline and in hindsight he would probably agree that staying at Ayr was the right move for him. If he had stayed I'm sure we would have survived in the championship

Slightly more money? Ok mate. Also we were in league 1 when he left. 

1 hour ago, Meathead said:

I don't think a team at League 1 level featuring Jordan Preston, Craig Moore, Ross Caldwell and Alan Trouten can justifiably claim to be short of quality in attack.

Caldwell was dross and Trouten could barely get a game.  Would like to have kept Preston, but at times he could be very ineffective particularly when he came up against a strong centre half.  I suspect he might have struggled at championship level, though I'm sure he would have offered more than O'connell, Thomas, Nisbet or El Alagui (put together).

Devlin aside, we had no pace in the wide areas with our midfield dreadfully one paced.  This to me was the major issue that needed addressing last Summer and wasn't.

Just now, North Terrace Gazza said:

He should never have left and we would still be a championship team, really struggling to forgive him.

I couldn't face another season of Mark Roberts - can hardly blame others for feeling the same way!

6 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Just because you spent a (unsuccessful) season in the championship doesn't mean your gonna walk league 1 like some fans are thinking 

Please quote where fans have said we'll walk league 1. Thank you. 

22 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

McCall is a far better manager than Reid. Reid might have been more used to relegation dog fights but I'd take McCall in the dug out over Reid.

When did Reid gain all this experience of relegation dog fights and when did McCall suddenly lose all his?

15 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Caldwell was dross and Trouten could barely get a game.  Would like to have kept Preston, but at times he could be very ineffective particularly when he came up against a strong centre half.  I suspect he might have struggled at championship level, though I'm sure he would have offered more than O'connell, Thomas, Nisbet or El Alagui (put together).

Devlin aside, we had no pace in the wide areas with our midfield dreadfully one paced.  This to me was the major issue that needed addressing last Summer and wasn't.

Caldwell's spell at Morton and Trouten's first at Brechin would suggest that both were capable of being very handy players at League 1 level. I am essentially agreeing with you though in that there's a clear pattern of McCall being unable to figure out how to adapt his tactics to get the best out of players with a proven track record (despite, in Trouten's case, literally being shown by Brechin the season before how to make him one of the most effective players in the league), and that it's likely to continue.

Archived