Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

2 hours ago, Hursty said:

If we were coming up against guys like Stokes, Swanson, Ambrose, McGinn etc every week i'd be concerned. We aren't. Last night was a pumping we could have done without, but it was against a team of a far far higher standard that we are. It happebs. All in all, having beat Killie and won the other 3 games in some style, im prepared to say it was a successful enough campaign. Especially if the prize money helps bring in a new face

Although for what its worth i think we were too attacking yesterday. Id have been tempted to leave Moore on bench and play an extra midfielder. Hibs have been rattling in the goals

Killie is shite for premier team.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

We are absolutely superb this season.

Don't let last night get anyone down.

Scored a narrow load and play in the third division.

Teams in this league will fear us for what we have done so far.

We are top of the league and we will stay there all season.

Wowzer!

Oh, oh,  cringe........................must bookmark this one...:whistle

That's heresy, say five Hail Harkins and ten Our Father McCall for penance.

It's not heresy to have wanted rid of McCall - it's just pishy short-term thinking.

Last season did not go to plan. He gambled big time with harkins and it backfired spectacularly. If the doom merchants were against that decision from the start then fair enough. But most ayr fans were quite excited by the prospect.

Other signs signings also failed to succeed but by the January window we were desperate - and had so much money tied up in harkins that there was very little wiggle room.

McCall admitted he made mistakes throughout the season but most onlookers agreed that the squad finished where it deserved to finish in terms of player ability. The squad he assembled (albeit in difficult circumstances) was simply not good enough.

If he approached this season in the same manner then fair enough, time to be shown the door when it started to fail. But he's changed things massively (managing the transition to full time as well as compiling a much stronger, much more positive squad).

Andy O'Connell? Would be pleasantly surprised if there are that many experienced 6'3 or whatever strikers out there who aren't past it or utter donkeys but also happy to come in as backup plan b option, which seems to be what folk are demanding we find from somewhere..

Edit to add - is Darryl Duffy a big guy? Haven't heard anything more about him recently, could still be an option

1 minute ago, Hursty said:

Andy O'Connell? Would be pleasantly surprised if there are that many experienced 6'3 or whatever strikers out there who aren't past it or utter donkeys but also happy to come in as backup plan b option, which seems to be what folk are demanding we find from somewhere..

Edit to add - is Darryl Duffy a big guy? Haven't heard anything more about him recently, could still be an option

:lol: never saw this when i was typing.  Yes! 

He's not that big, definitely not a target man. St Mirren are signing a striker today and fans seem to think it's him.

Out of interest if Sutton was released would he come here? McCall was keen to sign him last season. Might not be too keen on a place on the bench most weeks though.

The boy is an absolute dweeb. He sits here pressing refresh on his browser every saturday.

No need for that. He's a fellow Ayr fan who contributes a lot to this thread. Everybody has different opinions.

What is the need for a "target man"? I think the football we're playing just now is far superior to punting the ball up to a big haddy. We do need another striker, but not a 6ft+ jingly b*****d. I thought the formation we switched to in the second half at ER is good plan B with going 3 at the back with Ferguson and Boyle at wing back and playing Forrest and McGuffie in behind the lone striker. A team like this:

Hart

Rose Reid Higgins 

Ferguson                     Boyle

Geggan Docherty 

McDaid             McGuffie

Moffat

We had a very good pre-season period and a very decent first result in the league.
Some fans have got caught up in these results regardless of the fact this happens most seasons and it always turns to shite by the start of the second quarter, I remember when we pummelled Motherwell and (maybe) Clyde a few years ago, we were getting promoted and Anthony Marengi was the future of Scottish football
We could be in for one of the most exciting, goal laden seasons since 1988......or we are struggling to make a play-off spot, playing to crowds of 700, a lot will come down to injuries, suspensions and the young players stepping up when given the chance
It will probably be October before we really know if we are going to truly be contenders

The boy is an absolute dweeb. He sits here pressing refresh on his browser every saturday.

No need for that. He's a fellow Ayr fan who contributes a lot to this thread. Everybody has different opinions. 

[emoji2] I just realised I got called a dweeb! When the f**k did folk start using that as a term of endearment?

Kind words are much appreciated ftk. I'm away to rest my bruised ego (whist hitting refresh on my browser).

Archived