Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

1 minute ago, Mgc1910 said:

Why?  I'm afraid there were too many Ayr fans that day who thought that being an Ayrshire Derby was a leveller.  It wasn't.  

We were a poor championship team that overachieved massively in getting to a semi-final.  We were up against a faster, fitter and frankly better premier league team on a wide open pitch which was no friend to a part time team.  If we'd conceded early, we could well have taken an absolute pasting.  I for one remember the misery of losing 7-0 back in 2000.  I know plenty of Killie fans who thought that game was there big chance to get serious revenge for our cup victories under Dalziel.  In the end, they scraped through in extra time.  

Personally, I respect Brian Reid for making sure we didn't get humiliated that day, which was the most likely outcome if we'd adopted the deluded have a go tactics some Ayr fans seemed to want.

Who suggested have a go tactics? 

Most would have been quite happy to play like we did for 60 or 70 minutes then give it a birl, I'm glad we got pumped out, football like that deserves absolutely nothing as far I'm concerned. 

You know it's bad when the Killie fans hardly even slagged us.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had one good season under Reid and didn't push Raith very hard that year at all. None of our last three Championship teams have even hinted at being capable of staying up bar a wee run early last season. McCall and Reid have achieved similar results, but this season has been far more entertaining than Reid's second promotion. I'd put them about level now. If we win this league McCall will be ahead and if we don't go up Reid would have the edge. Either way it's hardly the stuff of legends.

1 hour ago, Iain said:

We had one good season under Reid and didn't push Raith very hard that year at all.

Nonsense.

None of our last three Championship teams have even hinted at being capable of staying up bar a wee run early last season. 

Nonsense, we had a chance in all 3 seasons and last season was the worst.

In those 3 seasons we managed to take 4 points from last 10 games in 09/10, 8 points from last 10 games in 11/12 and 8 points from last 10 games in 16/17

It was the middle of March you beat us that season to go 3 points clear. We won 8 from the remaining 9. Even just a decent run in from us would have seen you champions that year tbh.

Think it was 11/12 where it went to the wire in the Championship also. We drew in March with a last minute equaliser and we were still bottom at that point. Again, we went on a stupid run then too.

Title race will go down to the wire, seen too much twiwts and turns in previous seasons. We were ahead of Dunfermline at this stage a few years back, and had been from Jan through to March and we lost out. 

Ayr have already went on a winning streak already this season and if they can cut out the stupid mistakes easily have the fire power to do so again.

The year with Raith, had we beat Alloa at home instead of the 1-1 draw, we would have won the league. The following year we came straight back down.

We then had the year with Livi who surprise surprise had spent a fair bit to get back to back promotions. We then the following year made the semi in the LC, quarters in the SC and relegated in the play offs and Reid left. For me that’s way more than what McCalls done.

Had we played Killie at home, we couldn’t really complain with his set up. Remember the 3-1 game at RP where they tore us apart? No one complained with the tactics v ICT, Hearts and St Mirren.

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

The year with Raith, had we beat Alloa at home instead of the 1-1 draw, we would have won the league. The following year we came straight back down.

We then had the year with Livi who surprise surprise had spent a fair bit to get back to back promotions. We then the following year made the semi in the LC, quarters in the SC and relegated in the play offs and Reid left. For me that’s way more than what McCalls done.

Had we played Killie at home, we couldn’t really complain with his set up. Remember the 3-1 game at RP where they tore us apart? No one complained with the tactics v ICT, Hearts and St Mirren.

That first point is stretching it. Had you won it would've kept the league alive into the last week, certainly. Bear in mind though that in reality the last game for us at home to Arbroath was a total dead rubber played out like a friendly. Had we needed to win, I imagine we'd have played a whole lot different. Not to say we still wouldn't have fucked it.

At the end of the day Reid took us up twice, both with very narrow playoff wins. McCall has done that once, with every chance of doing it again. They both had pretty awful seasons in the Championship where I really don't remember ever looking at our team and thinking we were going to stay up.

Reid played a more defensive long ball style. At times it was awful to watch but I don't remember us conceding as many poor goals as we do under McCall, and given the chance to go full time, who knows.

The fact Reid seems to have had little or no success since leaving suggests he is being slightly over rated here simply by being away. The same will probably happen in 6 or 7 years time when we are in a similar lower Championship / Upper League 1 position under a new manager, some will love him and plenty will all be harking back to the glory days of McCall, remembering the goals scored and not necessarily the defensive issues / injuries.

Its what football fans do!

7 minutes ago, renton said:

That first point is stretching it. Had you won it would've kept the league alive into the last week, certainly. Bear in mind though that in reality the last game for us at home to Arbroath was a total dead rubber played out like a friendly. Had we needed to win, I imagine we'd have played a whole lot different. Not to say we still wouldn't have fucked it.

Fair enough point, would have change the complexion of games in the lead up etc. If buts and maybes of another failed title attempt for The Super.

Why?  I'm afraid there were too many Ayr fans that day who thought that being an Ayrshire Derby was a leveller.  It wasn't.  
We were a poor championship team that overachieved massively in getting to a semi-final.  We were up against a faster, fitter and frankly better premier league team on a wide open pitch which was no friend to a part time team.  If we'd conceded early, we could well have taken an absolute pasting.  I for one remember the misery of losing 7-0 back in 2000.  I know plenty of Killie fans who thought that game was there big chance to get serious revenge for our cup victories under Dalziel.  In the end, they scraped through in extra time.  
Personally, I respect Brian Reid for making sure we didn't get humiliated that day, which was the most likely outcome if we'd adopted the deluded have a go tactics some Ayr fans seemed to want.

There's a balance to be struck.

We played for penalties from the very first minute and it was hugely embarrassing.

That Arbroath game was only played so they could get the league fixtures done as the title battle was over. It was the most flooded pitch I've seen without a game being called off. As you say, Had we not been crowned champions the week before it would've been postponed.

That run in was ridiculous. We brought back Big Marv who somehow channeled his best ever form for us in that period. We only conceded one goal during those final 9 games. We lost top scorer Kevin Smith due to a cruciate injury, only for an unfit Stevie Hislop to come along and start scoring. Sloan's free kick against Brechin too...

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Fair enough point, would have change the complexion of games in the lead up etc. If buts and maybes of another failed title attempt for The Super.

We were top with 4 games to go, obviously that isn't a title challenge to some.

This team is certainly more entertaining without being "tell your pals to come" entertaining, if the players with dig are unavailable at the business end of this season we'll be staying put.

1 minute ago, placidcasual said:

If Brian Reid had received the financial backing that McCall has benefited from, h would have got us comfortably established in the championship.

This. We probably have the biggest budget in the league yet are still bottling it.

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

This. We probably have the biggest budget in the league yet are still bottling it.

Doesn't help when your manager has a penchant for signing aging midfielders when you need a new centre back. How many centre midfielders do Ayr have at the moment?

2 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Doesn't help when your manager has a penchant for signing aging midfielders when you need a new centre back. How many centre midfielders do Ayr have at the moment?

Geggan, Docherty, Adams, Bell, Crawford(Plays wide midfield mostly though), Kerr, Faulds. Released Gilmour on deadline day.

Geggan, Docherty, Adams, Bell, Crawford(Plays wide midfield mostly though), Kerr, Faulds. Released Gilmour on deadline day.

And we only have one available for Sunday. Well, Faulds too but he doesn't look anywhere near ready. Looked miles behind the likes of Wardrope from previous seasons.

11 hours ago, Iain said:

We had one good season under Reid and didn't push Raith very hard that year at all. None of our last three Championship teams have even hinted at being capable of staying up bar a wee run early last season. McCall and Reid have achieved similar results, but this season has been far more entertaining than Reid's second promotion. I'd put them about level now. If we win this league McCall will be ahead and if we don't go up Reid would have the edge. Either way it's hardly the stuff of legends.

Total nonsense.  We pushed Raith (who were full time) all the way in Reids first promotion.  The following season we were 15 minutes away from finishing 8th until Samson chucked the ball in the net.  Even a point would have been good enough for 9th before a 2nd late goal put us down.  Our second promotion wasn't as close though I'm sure we were top towards the end of January.  We did get shafted by a fixture pileup due to a bad winter which didn't help a part time team against a full time Livingston team.  The following season we finished 9th ahead of a full time queen of the south team.  Who knows what could have been in the playoffs but for Longridges moment of madness.  

21 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Total nonsense.  We pushed Raith (who were full time) all the way in Reids first promotion.  The following season we were 15 minutes away from finishing 8th until Samson chucked the ball in the net.  Even a point would have been good enough for 9th before a 2nd late goal put us down.  Our second promotion wasn't as close though I'm sure we were top towards the end of January.  We did get shafted by a fixture pileup due to a bad winter which didn't help a part time team against a full time Livingston team.  The following season we finished 9th ahead of a full time queen of the south team.  Who knows what could have been in the playoffs but for Longridges moment of madness.  

We were a mixed establishment of a few full timers and more part timers.

19 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

What are we on at the moment, 95 goals? The strangest season I can remember for a long time. Goals are supposed to make us happy, right? Yet the air of dissatisfaction rightly hangs over Somerset looking at that league table.

It's a great goals tally but the silly defeats & draws at home have cost us valuable points, Alloa at the weekend, Arbroath, Queen's Park etc, any cross ball into the box I get the fear! 

Archived