Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

My rugby match was played at oriam today, Arbroath played Montrose in a friendly before we were on. Was chatting to Ian Campbell, he said they all knew there was no way the game would be played so they got the Oriam secured. His nephew runs it apparently, great facility but shame there’s nothing that Ayr could have similar access to.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of training this week , I watched a couple of sessions at the Ayr Academy AstroTurf , all players looking good , great to see the effort put in by Doc  and Crawford , squad looking relaxed and competition is there 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Let’s be realistic. Paul Paton will get a better offer than Scottish Championship football, never mind us.

He was released by St Johnstone, a team fighting relegation in January and still hasn’t found a club so it’s hardly a ridiciolous suggestion. 

Given that McCall also signed him for Partick would make it less of a surprise.

Harkins had just come off the back of a good season at Dundee and the only reason he signed was because of McCall. Same goes for Balatoni probably.

Not many people would’ve thought we’d have had much chance of signing those guys but we did.

20 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Harkins had just come off the back of a good season at Dundee and the only reason he signed was because of McCall. Same goes for Balatoni probably.

Harkins is probably the most disappointing signing in my time supporting Ayr United. I was buzzing that we signed him as well.

1 minute ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Aye same along with Stevos return.

I genuinely don't remember him doing much on his return despite him scoring a few goals. Maybe I've erased the mediocrity of his second spell from my memory because he was a cracking player first time round. How many times did he ping in a 25 yarder back then? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I remember it being quite a regular occurrence.

I genuinely don't remember him doing much on his return despite him scoring a few goals. Maybe I've erased the mediocrity of his second spell from my memory because he was a cracking player first time round. How many times did he ping in a 25 yarder back then? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I remember it being quite a regular occurrence.

Aye he had 5 or 6 belters in the goal of the season competition. From what I remember he was decent but nowhere near as good as his first spell. Mainly due to being unable to run.

Wasn’t aware of it at the time but I seem to remember hearing last season that he actually initiated the transfer back to Ayr which looking back wasn’t great as McCall ended up shoe horning him into the team.

1 minute ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Wasn’t aware of it at the time but I seem to remember hearing last season that he actually initiated the transfer back to Ayr which looking back wasn’t great as McCall ended up shoe horning him into the team.

Yeah, I remember wondering where he would fit into the team because I didn't think he was the kind of player we needed back then. I remember him scoring a double against Forfar, a goal from distance against Cowdenbeath (I think) and a goal against Dunfermline in the game we let a 2-0 lead slip and lost 3-2 but that's it.

Yeah, I remember wondering where he would fit into the team because I didn't think he was the kind of player we needed back then. I remember him scoring a double against Forfar, a goal from distance against Cowdenbeath (I think) and a goal against Dunfermline in the game we let a 2-0 lead slip and lost 3-2 but that's it.

Albion Rovers away as well. He was outstanding that day - the one and only time he showed his true ability. Screamer against Stenhousemuir too.

On 25/02/2018 at 22:56, Hursty said:

Apologies for posting a link to a 3-0 defeat - but I stumbed accross it earlier and found it interesting to compare the team we had a few years ago to the current one - from 3 mins or so sums it up - Kevin Kyle falls on his arse once again, Dunfermline break up the park and Shankland scores a cracker.

Absolute ballers in Forbes and Husband. A striking partnership of Faiss and Shankland was very rare, sure that Moffat usually played. 

Shankland looked good though, a bit more trim than what I remember him being with a burst of pace. 

On 03/03/2018 at 14:12, ayrunitedfw said:

Amazing what a proper manager and training regime can do. 

It's almost like McCall doesn't pay enough attention to conditioning. That would be surprising if it wasn't for the vast injury list that Ayr always seem to accrue. 

10 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Sure he didn't score in that game, he was hilariously shite in all the games against Dunfermline after he signed, culminated in Josh Falkingham winning a high ball against him in the final game before Faiss scored some beautiful side volley. Sure there was allot of piss taking at the time because some Ayr fans got very excited at his return signing. 

That and something about some blokes cat. 

Raith game at Forfar been postponed again for tomorrow night, looks like we'll both have a busy run in of fixtures, could do without it in my opinion.

Hope it doesn't have an effect on the title race.

23 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Raith game at Forfar been postponed again for tomorrow night, looks like we'll both have a busy run in of fixtures, could do without it in my opinion.

Hope it doesn't have an effect on the title race.

I hope it does, it means they are missing a couple key players against us now and we are full strength (minus Higgy) 

Ross Docherty may need surgery on his hip as he's still in pain however is willing to play through the pain until the end of the season.

McGuffie may need surgery on his groin which will keep him out for 2-3 weeks (probably means months) but Crawford is getting fitter and fitter. 

Team have been training indoors at Toryglen so far this week. 

Ross Docherty may need surgery on his hip as he's still in pain however is willing to play through the pain until the end of the season.
McGuffie may need surgery on his groin which will keep him out for 2-3 weeks (probably means months) but Crawford is getting fitter and fitter. 
Team have been training indoors at Toryglen so far this week. 

Good update.

I'm not so worried about mcguffie. His best is still well ahead of him and he's not in the first 11 at the moment when players are fit.

Doc worries me. I'm not sure I want a half fit central midfielder.

Archived