Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

The 1988 team is as close as it gets to legendary for this club. You don't think this would be comparable if they win the league now?
Legends...hmm....maybe.

But for me that's different from immortality.

I was wee when the 88 team were plying their trade. I was a mascot that year and remember loving Templeton and sludden, but can't exactly remember how good they were.

My issue with the current team is that I don't think they play particularly good football. We're helluva entertaining, and we score a shitload of goals - but it's very often from direct football.

I've only seen us in 6 or 7 games but I catch the highlights most weeks, and a common theme is that we don't play well but then manage to score (usually in bunches). I think we're effective rather than pretty.

They're clearly one of the best ayr teams of the last 15 years, but that's not really saying too much. The 2002 team (different set of finances I know) would batter this team I reckon.

Hopefully we're able to have the debate, celebrating winning a championship for a change.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies for posting a link to a 3-0 defeat - but I stumbed accross it earlier and found it interesting to compare the team we had a few years ago to the current one - from 3 mins or so sums it up - Kevin Kyle falls on his arse once again, Dunfermline break up the park and Shankland scores a cracker.

Midfield maestro Anthony Marenghi was a particular favourite of mine.

I'm sure when Marenghi signed Roberts said something along the lines of "he's far too good to be available at this level".

The big man is now at Maryhill Juniors

I'm sure when Marenghi signed Roberts said something along the lines of "he's far too good to be available at this level".

The big man is now at Maryhill Juniors

I’d be surprised if Roberts actually knew who he was when he signed him.

Mark Roberts’ eye for a player really was something.

53 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Does anyone have a list of how we are looking with regards to suspensions? Seem to have picked up a lot of yellows recently so some must be close to a ban

Adams and Geggan are 1 booking away from suspension - Moffat and Rose are 2 away.

Mark Roberts’ eye for a player really was something.
Adams and Geggan are 1 booking away from suspension - Moffat and Rose are 2 away.

Cheers. Adams and Geggan were the 2 that came to mind. Hopefully have them both for the Raith game at least. Not sure how it works with regards to the timing of a suspension after the last booking, ie is it immediate or slightly delayed etc

Cheers. Adams and Geggan were the 2 that came to mind. Hopefully have them both for the Raith game at least. Not sure how it works with regards to the timing of a suspension after the last booking, ie is it immediate or slightly delayed etc

If you pick up a sixth booking then I comes into effect 2 games later so if they were to get booked against Arbroath they would miss the Raith game.

11 minutes ago, Hursty said:

The suspension would kick in 2 weeks after the booking that takes them over the threshold, so they’re both fine for the Raith game.

It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if Adams was to get booked in the Arbroath game on Saturday, as it would rule out of the Forfar away game 2 weeks later, which he’d be unlikely to play in anyway as it’s on a plastic pitch.

The suspension would kick in 2 weeks after the booking that takes them over the threshold, so they’re both fine for the Raith game.
It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if Adams was to get booked in the Arbroath game on Saturday, as it would rule out of the Forfar away game 2 weeks later, which he’d be unlikely to play in anyway as it’s on a plastic pitch.

I thought it was 2 games instead of 2 weeks but now that you’ve said that I’m sure you’re right.

As you say Adams wouldn’t be able to play that game anyway so it’s not an issue.

17 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

No offence mate but if winning the third tier division in Scotland is what counts as legendary we need to set our sights higher.

I have always found the level of adoration levelled at a squad who achieved nothing more than winning the third tier of Scottish football a tad embarrassing tbh. The fact that the whole squad are in our hall of fame speaks volumes.

I am not disputing that it must have been a good season to watch Ayr United, but winning the third tier should be nothing more than a means to achieving our future ambitions rather than being something that the club felt was such a momentous event in their history that it required commemorating 25 years on.

Winning the third tier is worth nothing if there is no ambition to succeed at the next level. Indeed, the past few times we have been in the second tier I got the impression that the club were just happy to be there rather than having any intention to stay there.

Archived