Forfar Athletic 2017-18

21 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

True.
Bollan wasn't my favourite tbh but I was willing to give him a chance.
Some of the football we played last year was great to watch, some of it completely turgid.

He's in the Courier today saying he did what was asked of him in getting us up, conveniently ignoring that he also relegated us, had a couple of terrible Scottish Cup results and blew an 11 point lead. Turning point for me was his refusal to play Foxy in the run-in last season when things were going wrong, you only have to look at his impact in the Play-Off games to see what he would have brought to us in that period.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's in the Courier today saying he did what was asked of him in getting us up, conveniently ignoring that he also relegated us, had a couple of terrible Scottish Cup results and blew an 11 point lead. Turning point for me was his refusal to play Foxy in the run-in last season when things were going wrong, you only have to look at his impact in the Play-Off games to see what he would have brought to us in that period.

Papers and TV seem to think he was harshly dealt with. Poor journalism thread for those tbh.
Aye. Foxy's first game back was poor but set him up for the playoff games to run the show. Sorely missed through the latter part of the season.

21 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

Same for me. The fact he thought Eddie Malone could bring more to the team than Foxy should have seen him sacked at the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Regarding the media coverage, the lack of any sort of investigation into Bollan's sacking is pretty poor.
A quick look at Facebook, Twitter or this site would give a handle on the feelings and reasons for the chop.
I know we're not huge news but still!

Pretty sure the guy in the Courier is a dyed in the wool Arab...he probably said the same about Heggie all those years ago!

4 hours ago, dee_62 said:

On the contrary, I don't think they'd have to go far at all to make such a divisive appointment. (Judging by comments here).

Sellars and Balmer may make a really good team but many will think Balmer must go at all costs. (I don't, for what it's worth. If results/performances improve, I'd be happy to give the 2 of them a run at it).

I guess we'll only see after a couple of games (unless the board has already got folk lined up and are using the application process as a smokescreen)

So 2 seasons of watching a guy sitting on a bench with a bib over it has convinced you he may be the man for the job even though he has caused so much trouble (allegedly) since day one? The 3 amigos arrived together and they should have left together.

So 2 seasons of watching a guy sitting on a bench with a bib over it has convinced you he may be the man for the job even though he has caused so much trouble (allegedly) since day one? The 3 amigos arrived together and they should have left together.

Hopefully all gone after holding the baby for a game or so.

Not at all, merely pointing out that he would be a divisive figure but that he and Sellars might do well together and where would that leave us?

Not all assistants agree with the Number 1's - Balmer's role under GB may have purely been in a coaching capacity. I have no idea...just not wanting to get rid of him just because he was with GB. The most recent example would be at Leicester where Shakespeare turned around the season after Ranieri appeared to have lost the dressing room.

Fwiw, I think the board will already have a plan in place and it won't involve Balmer but may still include Sellars so my opinion will count for nothing...again.

1 hour ago, dee_62 said:

Not at all, merely pointing out that he would be a divisive figure but that he and Sellars might do well together and where would that leave us?

Not all assistants agree with the Number 1's - Balmer's role under GB may have purely been in a coaching capacity. I have no idea...just not wanting to get rid of him just because he was with GB. The most recent example would be at Leicester where Shakespeare turned around the season after Ranieri appeared to have lost the dressing room.

Fwiw, I think the board will already have a plan in place and it won't involve Balmer but may still include Sellars so my opinion will count for nothing...again.

I don't see either being included in any managerial set up, hopefully we can acquire a coaching staff that can light up the place from day 1, on and off the park!

22 minutes ago, RateofKnots said:

Be interesting to know if Barry Robson fancied a crack at management. Coaching at Aberdeen, but he did play for Utd....

Also be interesting to know if Gary Bollan will apply for the United job in the next few weeks...

Let's hope it's not AD's bum boy , or mr balmer , saying that he likes a good fight at training

Archived