Manchester Arena - Terrorist Incident

I doubt you could out 10,000 chancers who just wanted to see a show with a decent line up. I'd be surprised if anywhere near half of the crowd that were at the original concert would be able to go anyway as I have said for numerous reasons like work, travel time or just general inconvenience, plus there are thousands of others who are still emotionally connected to the tragedy and who feel they are desperate to go.

The touters are a disgrace though, absolutely shameless but again not in any way surprising and they probably don't feel any guilt.

Are you defending them?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not defending either of them, least of all the touts.

OK, I wasn't quite sure.

The touting situation has to end. Surely there's a secure way to sort it (without going back to the old way which I think is a little unrealistic).

14 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I'd like to see something as egregious as this be the turning point to put the Ticketmaster/Getmein axis out of business, or at least curb them.

Any big gig is always "sold out in 30 minutes". It's not really of course...what's happened is that the ticket agencies' bots have been hoovering briefs up so they can resell them at vastly inflated prices.

They only get away with it because we allow them to. If everybody bit the bullet and refused to buy resold tickets from them for a couple of months and they took the hit while bands played to half-empty arenas they'd have to change the current paradigm.

What was intrinsically wrong with a venue having a box office? Admittedly you had to physically queue up for something really big - which was less often than you'd think - but you got to buy the tickets at face value and didn't have to fork out extra for booking fees or the various add-ons that have exponentially accrued to ticket prices over the last decade or so.

So you travel to Leeds to see Bruce Springsteen and find that it's sold out?

Congratulations humanity, this whole situation shows how fucking disgusting we all are, from commercial exploitation to homicidal maniacs to money grabbing charlatans.

Our species disgusts me on every level.

54 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Umm, no - who would do that? 

What I was talking about was a return to physical box offices and venues posting out snail mail hard copy tickets for those who live further afield, which on the face of might sound a bit Luddite, but would wipe out at a stroke the leeches like Ticketmaster who cling to the underbelly of the live music industry.

The likes of Springsteen playing a UK stadium tour with a few thousand people in each venue while Ticketmaster were left high and dry sitting on the remainder of the tickets unsold because people decided they'd had enough of the current rip-off system would hopefully be the wake-up call they need.

Unfortunately it'll never happen - too many people seem to be content enough to continue being shafted by the current paradigm.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Umm, no - who would do that? 

What I was talking about was a return to physical box offices and venues posting out snail mail hard copy tickets for those who live further afield, which on the face of might sound a bit Luddite, but would wipe out at a stroke the leeches like Ticketmaster who cling to the underbelly of the live music industry.

It was when you spoke about physically queueing up at the box office as the only way to get a ticket - at least that's the way I interpreted it.

I was just saying I'm not surprised by the activities and I don't think it is as disrespectful to the dead as people might make out to try and wing a ticket to a popular show when they know that not everyone who attended the original gig will be able to go. I don't think not getting a ticket to the tribute concert is going to make the trauma suffered by those involved any worse tbh but if you are trying to make money from it then that is totally scummy, not that ticket touts have many moral principles anyway. 

I think there's a touch of the Paul nuttal about it. Pretending you were there is absolutely scummy behaviour in my book.

20 minutes ago, GordonD said:

It was when you spoke about physically queueing up at the box office as the only way to get a ticket - at least that's the way I interpreted it.

I'm thinking back to the era of the Apollo or slightly later, the Edinburgh Playhouse when it was still a rock gig. For bigger stadium shows, it was normal to send a cheque for the face value of the ticket and a SAE direct to the promoter, and the hard copy ticket would arrive back maybe a week later - in the unlikely event of it selling out the cheque would come back. Saw the likes of Queen at St James' Park doing just that. Not all progress is for the better.

Ironically, there very seldom were real queues at box offices unless it was someone huge playing multiple nights - a Rush or AC/DC playing three nights at the Apollo, in which case you might have had to wait two or three hours...the staff were incredibly efficient there - no "Where would you like to sit?", just a case of "How many?" and sell the auditorium from the front to the back by row. 

Even then, you'd meet up with pals and make an occasion of it rather than sit pressing refresh getting more and more annoyed for the same length of time.

Archived