The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Both acquitted themselves well I thought, Baccus in particular.

James Maddison giving Ryan Strain big hugs at the end. Both are from Coventry so maybe went to school together.

Greive left on the bench for NZ. Might play against Australia next week. Hopefully Ryan and Keanu will be rested for that one!

Can someone provide a layman's explanation of what the latest SMISA drama is? FWIW, the whole thing is just a bit boring now and should have been resolved in the first instance with a grown up conversation between all parties. Instead, its been played out in the media, which is never going to be good and now we have legal action involving two directors and a former director. Both sides have their own stories, and somewhere in between lies the truth. Neither of the people involved have considering experience in running a football club and their naivety has shone through, while SMISA, unfortunately, seem to have been taken for a ride and used as a vehicle to continue this whole sideshow.

With regards to Stu's points, I think many have started question why they bother with SMISA at the moment. You just have to look at the latest figures for the vote on the new appointment on the board. Essentially, we have a fan on the board who was voted in by 300 odd of the fanbase. Concerning.

Can't say I've followed the most recent goings on but the lack of clarity over the funding of the executive boxes is a red flag, and the tone of that Tweet is questionable at best. Who exactly is the media consultant? As if that is what they are coming out with then that's a bit of a worry. I'm not paying £25 to read about "marriage of conveniences", so feel free to ignore me - but some transparency would potentially encourage more to sign up instead of the mire SMISA currently find themselves in thanks to lots of secrecy and smoke and mirrors.

It is a shame because a lot of great work went in to get fan ownership in the first place.

Kiss bye bye to any forlorn hope we could potentially get Baccus to extend.

A few different English publications this morning talking him up as best player in Gold shirt last night and that Premier league managers down south will have taken notice of how he applied himself.

11 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Both acquitted themselves well I thought, Baccus in particular.

James Maddison giving Ryan Strain big hugs at the end. Both are from Coventry so maybe went to school together.

Greive left on the bench for NZ. Might play against Australia next week. Hopefully Ryan and Keanu will be rested for that one!

Surely not.

He doesn't even merit a starting spot for us, according to some of the "experts" in our support.:lol:

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

A few different English publications this morning talking him up as best player in Gold shirt last night and that Premier league managers down south will have taken notice of how he applied himself.

Best we could hope for is a January bid ramped up if a few teams are in for him.

Would need to be a substantial sum to be worthwhile, as he would be huge loss for the second half of the season.

Sadly he'll probably sign a pre-contract down south and leave for nothing.

7 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Can someone provide a layman's explanation of what the latest SMISA drama is? FWIW, the whole thing is just a bit boring now and should have been resolved in the first instance with a grown up conversation between all parties. Instead, its been played out in the media, which is never going to be good and now we have legal action involving two directors and a former director. Both sides have their own stories, and somewhere in between lies the truth. Neither of the people involved have considering experience in running a football club and their naivety has shone through, while SMISA, unfortunately, seem to have been taken for a ride and used as a vehicle to continue this whole sideshow.

With regards to Stu's points, I think many have started question why they bother with SMISA at the moment. You just have to look at the latest figures for the vote on the new appointment on the board. Essentially, we have a fan on the board who was voted in by 300 odd of the fanbase. Concerning.

Can't say I've followed the most recent goings on but the lack of clarity over the funding of the executive boxes is a red flag, and the tone of that Tweet is questionable at best. Who exactly is the media consultant? As if that is what they are coming out with then that's a bit of a worry. I'm not paying £25 to read about "marriage of conveniences", so feel free to ignore me - but some transparency would potentially encourage more to sign up instead of the mire SMISA currently find themselves in thanks to lots of secrecy and smoke and mirrors.

It is a shame because a lot of great work went in to get fan ownership in the first place.

I think what SMISA has become is disappointing and not really what fan ownership should be about. 

The approach has been very hierarchical, with a lack of transparency, democracy and engagement with the membership. The idea that we dont know who applies to be on the St Mirren board and are asked to simply approve the selected candidate by unnamed individuals smacks of "we dont trust the members". 

It is this approach and attitude that IMO has led to disengagement. Sadly nothing much has changed even with new people on the SMISA board. SG has gone very quiet since he was voted on.

As for people who say "look at how well we are doing, lets be positive" thats 100% down to the hard work of the management and players, achieved in spite of rather than because of SMISA.

56 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Best we could hope for is a January bid ramped up if a few teams are in for him.

Would need to be a substantial sum to be worthwhile, as he would be huge loss for the second half of the season.

Sadly he'll probably sign a pre-contract down south and leave for nothing.

That and the fact that with Baccus,s success we might be able to tempt two or three new faces of decent quality in January .

Baccus was up against £100 million pound rated players last night and didn't look out of place . Teams will be keen to get him in their squad in January and will no doubt be contacting Saints over the next few months to get a deal sorted .⁷⁷

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I never thought we had a chance of any of them staying tbh. 

If we can possibly cash in on Baccus we could try uping the cash to Strain but more likely we would accept bids in the transfer window. 

I thought Strain lacked the pace against English forward players last night. He still held his own going forward but should have buried that shot in the 1st half. 

54 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

That and the fact that with Baccus,s success we might be able to tempt two or three new faces of decent quality in January .

Alongside the on-field progress, I think that must be seen as the main positive for the club.

I don't think Strain and Baccus, in their wildest dreams, could have imagined the impact that moving to SMFC would have on their careers.

Hopefully that will attract others to the club and lead to continued success for us.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

As much as I'd love a bumper transfer deal for him, if he leaves for free in the summer to a decent club, I'll be happy that he was here for two seasons and did so well.

He was a complete unknown quantity when he arrived. There was every chance he wouldn't have cut it, but he's been a smashing player for us and raised the profile of the club enormously. We're a more attractive club for players now because of him.

On 12/10/2023 at 22:59, Molotov said:

you can always fcuk off back to supporting Celtic.

You won’t be missed. 

Became a saints fan as the tic support were fed up with him predicting they'd lose every week.

At least every now and then he's right with us.