The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 28/10/2023 at 18:26, pozbaird said:

In the second half today, those new electronic advertising boards were a complete pain-in-the-arse from the West Stand. Maybe just down to the all-too-rare combination of it not quite being dark yet and the floodlights only being at half-power, but the boards, especially with white adverts, were so bright, they really affected viewing the game properly.

the adverts are a pain in the hole in the main stand too.the light from the new boards hit the row of traditional pitch side adverts and the whole area between the boards light up

Was sitting in the West Stand on Saturday and I must say what a difference there is in the stadium now compared to what it first looked like back on the opening game against Kilmarnock all those years ago. The digital advertising boards and the full stands really make a difference, as does the scoreboard refurbishment and the decoration of the breeze block under the stands. 

I know there was a lot of rival fans scoffing when we built an 8,000 seater stadium, but teams like Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone, Livingston etc. must be looking on in envy at the atmosphere created at Greenhill Road every home game these days. It helps that the players are doing the job on the pitch at the moment but hopefully a lot of these fans turning up nowadays keep showing up when the teams isn’t as successful. 

On 28/10/2023 at 18:26, pozbaird said:

In the second half today, those new electronic advertising boards were a complete pain-in-the-arse from the West Stand. Maybe just down to the all-too-rare combination of it not quite being dark yet and the floodlights only being at half-power, but the boards, especially with white adverts, were so bright, they really affected viewing the game properly.

Didn’t see this before I posted praising them :lol: I did think that the adverts that were mostly white seemed to illuminate the stadium a bit, especially when it changed from an advert that was darker in colour, and it did catch your eye from the west stand but nothing drastic. The boards could be used for so much more than what they were on Saturday, and I was surprised we didn’t see things like the substitutions flashing up on them or showing the amount of time added on at the end of the half like you do in other stadiums, although hopefully that will come down the road.

I did comment to my father that I found it strange that they have still kept the triangular shaped wooden advertising boards that sit in front of the digital screens, but I imagine those advertising contracts would have been set out at the start of the season and will need to be honoured until the seasons end.Their removal would also help aid an increased run up distance for Gogic’s long throws, and I think they will be gone for the start of next season. I’m almost certain they are they same ones that we had running along the front of the main stand at Love Street, obviously with different advertising on them now. 

Folk going on about the white advertisements on the electronic scoreboard and I noticed them too but not because of the glare but for something else.

It was advertising Skyview.

Now given the situation where Skyview pulled out at mega short notice as the club's shirt sponsor a couple of years ago to the point we had to recall and reprint shirts with the Digby Brown logo, coupled with the fact that the relationship went sour very quickly as we wouldn't entertain the notion of them holding shares in SMFC, does it not strike anyone else as a bit weird that there's an electronic Skyview sponsorship on the billboards?

I noticed there was a triangle board but I just assumed that had been overlooked or not yet replaced (as has happened a few times) but actively putting them on the Electronic adverts suggests that they are still a club sponsor which I find strange after everything that's gone on, unless bridges have been mended there.

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Folk going on about the white advertisements on the electronic scoreboard and I noticed them too but not because of the glare but for something else.

It was advertising Skyview.

Now given the situation where Skyview pulled out at mega short notice as the club's shirt sponsor a couple of years ago to the point we had to recall and reprint shirts with the Digby Brown logo, coupled with the fact that the relationship went sour very quickly as we wouldn't entertain the notion of them holding shares in SMFC, does it not strike anyone else as a bit weird that there's an electronic Skyview sponsorship on the billboards?

I noticed there was a triangle board but I just assumed that had been overlooked or not yet replaced (as has happened a few times) but actively putting them on the Electronic adverts suggests that they are still a club sponsor which I find strange after everything that's gone on, unless bridges have been mended there.

Weird, but business is business. The withdrawal was a farce but there might have been legit reasons behind it. If they turn round a year later and want to put more money in, then the club isn't going to say no. I bet we took payment up front, though.

I wish SkyView would withdraw again, then their bright white adverts would disappear from an otherwise excellent new addition to FeegieField. I contacted the club to complain, but they said Glasgow Airport beat me to it. An incoming EasyJet Airbus A320 nearly landed on Murray Street because of them. 😎

In reality of course, I haven’t complained to the club about the boards. They’re fine. When the background isn’t bright white. My money is, as I said, on it being the perfect storm of the bright white adverts, coupled with half-strength floodlights, and only semi-darkness overhead, rendering the white adverts to look exceedingly bright. Probably a set of circumstances only seen at one or two home games all season anyway.

15 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I wish SkyView would withdraw again, then their bright white adverts would disappear from an otherwise excellent new addition to FeegieField. I contacted the club to complain, but they said Glasgow Airport beat me to it. An incoming EasyJet Airbus A320 nearly landed on Murray Street because of them. 😎

In reality of course, I haven’t complained to the club about the boards. They’re fine. When the background isn’t bright white. My money is, as I said, on it being the perfect storm of the bright white adverts, coupled with half-strength floodlights, and only semi-darkness overhead, rendering the white adverts to look exceedingly bright. Probably a set of circumstances only seen at one or two home games all season anyway.

The digital advertising boards are £2500+VAT for 60  seconds advertising per game for the season. Just think how many  you could get on there for the duration of the game.

The static woodnen boards in front of this are £2600+VAT for the season, so plenty of money to be made. 

9 minutes ago, Molotov said:

They honestly don’t bother me. I reckon we will end up keeping the wooden ones as these are still bringing in revenue for smaller businesses. 

The wooden boards generate over 50k per season including VAT. Can't see us dropping them. Having your advert appearing on a rolling digital board isn't for every business. Some things are just as effective static.

21 minutes ago, Molotov said:

They honestly don’t bother me. I reckon we will end up keeping the wooden ones as these are still bringing in revenue for smaller businesses. 

Only problem with the wooden boards is they block part of the digital screens. I was in the back row of the West Stand on Saturday and you couldn’t see the bottom of the screen because of them. You could obviously still make out everything that was displayed on them but I imagine if someone is paying for screen time, especially during games which are shown live on TV, they would want the full advert on show.