The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

14 minutes ago, AW saint said:

No Rooney in the squad. Tanser still not being risked. I expect our starting line up to play against Valur

Rooney is out with the subs currently. 

28 minutes ago, codfish said:

Unsuccessful in round 2 - frustrating as me and my son were ready to travel, but the club are in a tough spot and the only fault I’d have with their approach is around transparency (would be nice to have known how many fans applied for tickets and how many were re-ballotted today, for instance).

That being said, I had pre-booked an AirBnB where the hosts happened to be Valur fans - they’ve been super helpful, so if anyone who’s got tickets is needing accommodation, this might be worth looking at:

https://www.airbnb.com/slink/qD6T4xf9

Maybe the club will eventually release numbers.

However, I suspect they way more pressing matters to deal with just now.

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Iacovitti with hamstring injury first kick of the ball.

Rooney on.

Had a few injuries last season! Ian Ure 50 years on ?

We certainly aren’t having much luck with injuries this pre season.

That’s horrible luck for Lacovitti to have done his hamstring so quickly.

We need to wrap Richard Taylor up in cotton wool before Thursday at this rate.

Liked the look of young Fraser Taylor when he came on late in the game. Definitely didn’t look out of place. 

First half was a non-event other than a great cross from Brown, which Mandron and Olusanya somehow contrived to not get on the end of. Olusanya was clean through, but took one touch too many and a defender put in an excellent tackle as he was about to pull the trigger.

And their goal of course, which was a shot which I'm led to believe took a deflection off one of our players.

Second half the wing backs were far more advanced and more effective. A far more open game.

First goal was a great diagonal cross from Brown which Olusanya directed into the net with a well placed header.

Second goal came from an excellent Sutherland corner, which wasn't cleared properly. The ball bounced into the air and Scott headed into the net.

Their second goal came from a corner. Goal scorer burst into the box unmarked and directed a downward header into the net.

Lots of changes for both teams in the second half. Neither keeper really had a save of note to make.

Gogic was his usual imperious self. Olusanya looked lively. Ayunga looked more like his old self when he came on. Brown got better as the game went on. Rooney looked useful when he came on. 

Didn't feel anyone in midfield really got a grip of the game. Smyth was the best of the lot IMO. If anyone wants to offer £250K for CBM, we should take it. He's replaceable. Fraser Taylor played well when he came on.

Iacovitti looks to have done in his hamstring. His first touch got the ball under control, he could have passed back to Balcombe, but he chose to swivel and clear it. Everyone was to busy looking up to see where the clearance had gone to notice Iacovitti on his arse holding the back of his left leg.🤦‍♂️

Edited by FTOF

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

First half was a non-event other than a great cross from Brown, which Mandron and Olusanya somehow contrived to not get on the end of. Olusanya was clean through, but took one touch too many and a defender put in an excellent tackle as he was about to pull the trigger.

And their goal of course, which was a shot which I'm led to believe took a deflection off one of our players.

Second half the wing backs were far more advanced and more effective. A far more open game.

First goal was a great diagonal cross from Brown which Olusanya directed into the net with a well placed header.

Second goal came from an excellent Sutherland corner, which wasn't cleared properly. The ball bounced into the air and Scott headed into the net.

Their second goal came from a corner. Goal scorer burst into the box unmarked and directed a downward header into the net.

Lots of changes for both teams in the second half. Neither keeper really had a save of note to make.

Gogic was his usual imperious self. Olusanya looked lively. Ayunga looked more like his old self when he came on. Brown got better as the game went on. Rooney looked useful when he came on. 

Didn't feel anyone in midfield really excelled. Smyth was the best of the lot IMO. If anyone wants to offer £250K for CBM, we should take it. He's replaceable. Fraser Taylor played well when he came on.

Iacovitti looks to have done in his hamstring. His first touch got the ball under control, he could have passed back to Balcombe, but he chose to swivel and clear it. Everyone was to busy looking up to see where the clearance had gone to notice Iacovitti on his arse holding the back of his left leg.🤦‍♂️

Have to agree with you here. We started with a 5-3-2 as expected. Admittedly it looked like we were neither going to score or lose a goal in the first half. 

It seemed like we changed to more of a  5-2-3 in second half?

Brown has actually been one of the better players of this pre season which I didn’t expect to say.

Rooney looked a bit more like what we were expecting when he came on.

Agreed on CBM. I think he’s had a poor pre season imo. Has he actually got a corner cross that hasn’t overshot the box yet in preseason?  I thought he was decent when we were on the ball,  but seemed a bit off the pace when we were off it. 

In terms of Europe. Could see him sticking to a 5-3-2 to get an away draw then going 5-2-3 at home to try and win it. 

Got to hope we play a lot better on Thursday. 

Lacovitti looks like he done his hamstring. 

Worry we are conceding poor goals. If we lose Olusanya we will struggle to get goals.