The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AW saint said:

We won't get to see what fee he goes for as it will be undisclosed. However I think we will be about £350-£400k. 

He will be off this week. 

In a ideal world we would have a couple of clubs in for him. 

Hope it helps boost the squad before the weekend

I mean, we will see it eventually but definitely we're right not to disclose what we get for a player.

£400k for a lad who has made 1 league appearance and who 100%, understandably won't sign a new contract in the face of EPL interest would be decent. We will also hopefully have plenty of add-ons there too.

It's the world we live in now, we're going to get picked apart for youth talent forever. Ethan will be the third U18 player in a year and a bit we've lost to English top flight clubs trying to bolster their youth system and produce players who can be classed as homegrown by 21st birthday for EPL and European registration purposes.

They now don't have the option of bringing over a Fabregas or a Pique type wonderkid to integrate them as 16 year olds and ensure they are homegrown for EPL rules anymore as they need to be 18 before they come here and that scuppers the '3 years trained in England between 16 and 21' thing that they need to be homegrown (unless their 18th birthday falls within a transfer window I believe), so the rest of the UK is their relatively inexpensive feeder system. Look at Billy Gilmour and Ben Doak. None of us are safe from it.

Edited by djchapsticks

The writing was on the wall that Sutherland would go sooner rather than later when we signed Jaden Brown on a 2 year contract

Its a great shame that you don’t get to see boys like this as regulars in your own team before they leave 

Hopefully goes on to become a Scotland great, certainly appears to have the talent 

I reckon what we want is for our academy to produce the next Messi or Maradona, that sees EPL clubs falling over themselves to sign them quicker than Noel Gallagher’s accountant will be whacking one out tonight, or, we produce a bunch of good players, but not that good that they appear on an EPL radar. I genuinely do not mean this in an insulting way, but a few Shuggie Murrays or David Van Zantens… if you know what I mean. Do us a turn, are popular, but were unlikely to be hoovered up before they had completed 90 minutes in the stripes.

47 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not really. The Reid scenario was with 6 months left on his deal and Ethan will likely have his share of interest in 6 months from now. So ball in is our court and a club like Wolves, it makes no material difference to them if they pay £250k or £2.5m, both are easily affordable but the window is a small one.

We can still thrash something out for him in next few days.  £400-500k and plenty of performance and appearance based add ons will probably do the trick.

The ball is in our court to a certain extent, but push too much and Wolves can say "forget it, we'll be in touch again in a few months." They're not going to be ringing our phone off the hook in the final hours of the window to sign a player for their academy. If we're going to maximise our profit then he likely needs to go in this window.

Unfortunately, I fear that £400K may be overly-optimistic for a boy who's in the final year of his contract and who's really only played in the Scottish 3rd tier.

2 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The ball is in our court to a certain extent, but push too much and Wolves can say "forget it, we'll be in touch again in a few months." They're not going to be ringing our phone off the hook in the final hours of the window to sign a player for their academy. If we're going to maximise our profit then he likely needs to go in this window.

Unfortunately, I fear that £400K may be overly-optimistic for a boy who's in the final year of his contract and who's really only played in the Scottish 3rd tier.

Time will tell I guess. Looks like Wolves have come back with an acceptable package for him and we've agreed to it. Can't see us knocking back £250k and holding out for £300k to be honest unless the add ons negotiated are significantly improved.

For all I've moaned about us needing a forward, I hope we don't use Ethan's fee to finance a move for Van Veen.

If Martin Foyle is that good, then there must be a younger and fitter forward out there on his radar that we could use some of the money to sign.

Edited by FTOF

Wonder if anyone else will leave before the window closes. 

KVV appears to be coming in but I still think a RCB or a player in the mould of Kiltie are required

Edited by AW saint

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

For all I've moaned about us needing a forward, I hope we don't use Ethan's fee to finance a move for Van Veen.

If Martin Foyle is that good, then there must be a younger and fitter forward out there that we could use some of the money to sign.

I can't see it. Looks like Van Veen deal is on the cards regardless of Ethan staying or going .

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I can't see it. Looks like Van Veen deal is on the cards regardless of Ethan staying or going .

Yeah. I know.

I'm just expressing my displeasure.:lol:

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Yeah. I know.

I'm just expressing my displeasure.:lol:

Suppose it depends what we do with the money.

KVV looks like it's happening for better or worse regardless.

Still feel there is going to be at least a forward going out if he comes in. 

Man City and Chelsea were monitoring Ethan when he was at Alloa. So Wolves would be wanting to get a transfer done quickly.

Considering we signed Ethan from The Sevco only 2 years ago this is a good bit of business. Would have loved to have seen him develop with us but a good deal for us anyway.

Young Sutherland moving to the EPL for a sizeable fee that will part fund the wages for KVV it would appear.

We all know that every club in Scotland are selling clubs, but it would be good to see some of the products of our youth system play some first team games before they get hoovered up.

The club know he won’t sign another contract so it makes sense to cash in while we can.

KVV isn't in a good situation.

Under contract in the Netherlands until 2026, but playing zero football because of a disagreement with the manager. Probably won't play for Groningen again. Meanwhile, his partner is living in Scotland with their baby daughter.

Have to assume he'll be eager to continue his career in Scotland: the sticking point will be his wages and Groningen's demands. I think their preference will be a permanent transfer. As the week progresses, it wouldn't be a surprise if we hear other teams are in for him.

Personally, I think he's exactly what we need. Might take a wee while to get him up to speed though.

4 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

As the week progresses, it wouldn't be a surprise if we hear other teams are in for him.

Will sound more dickish than I mean, but who else is going to want him?

Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee, Hearts, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Rangers, St Johnstone won't want or need him.

So you're left with United, Motherwell, County, and yourselves.

He won't fit a Goodwin side, and he won't want to live in Dingwall, so that leaves just you and Motherwell. Motherwell have spent (at least one) fee on a striker already this Summer.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee, Hearts, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Rangers, St Johnstone won't want or need him.

He won't fit a Goodwin side, and he won't want to live in Dingwall, so that leaves just you and Motherwell. Motherwell have spent (at least one) fee on a striker already this Summer.

With us getting money in for Sutherland we can now take slugger Sidibeh of your hands 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A lot can happen in the last few days of the window. An English team is another possibility: maybe his wife would be prepared to move there, but not the Netherlands.

17 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

KVV isn't in a good situation.

Under contract in the Netherlands until 2026, but playing zero football because of a disagreement with the manager. Probably won't play for Groningen again. Meanwhile, his partner is living in Scotland with their baby daughter.

Have to assume he'll be eager to continue his career in Scotland: the sticking point will be his wages and Groningen's demands. I think their preference will be a permanent transfer. As the week progresses, it wouldn't be a surprise if we hear other teams are in for him.

Personally, I think he's exactly what we need. Might take a wee while to get him up to speed though.

Aye he might be exactly what we need.  However if we don’t start giving our strikers some service then it doesn’t really matter who we play up front.

Absolutely crying out for a creative midfielder 

Edited by Biscuits

10 minutes ago, AW saint said:

With us getting money in for Sutherland we can now take slugger Sidibeh of your hands 🤣🤣

He's becoming more hassle than he's worth.