The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I see Dundee signed yet another striker, they must be falling over them. I wonder if we would try to tempt Main back. Not that he'd be the answer to our goals but he'd put in more effort than others bar toyosi. 

4 minutes ago, saintbg said:

I see Dundee signed yet another striker, they must be falling over them. I wonder if we would try to tempt Main back. Not that he'd be the answer to our goals but he'd put in more effort than others bar toyosi. 

He's not been doing it at Dee and it's likely best we move forwards without going backwards.

According to reports on X it would appear that the Sutherland deal to Wolves hasn’t been completed yet.

This will no doubt have an effect on possible deals that we are trying to get over the line before deadline tomorrow night.

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

According to reports on X it would appear that the Sutherland deal to Wolves hasn’t been completed yet.

This will no doubt have an effect on possible deals that we are trying to get over the line before deadline tomorrow night.

SR's not really a last day of the window man , so remains to be seen if he's trying to push any deals through , I have my doubts though! Hope I'm wrong !

2 hours ago, medals said:

It's pretty much always been like this except for the level of money, but even then even prospects have often been on big money for decades.

Certainly changed days.

Going back to 1977:

Keegan went to Hamburg for £500K

Dalglish went to Liverpool for £440K

McGarvey went to Liverpool for £270K in 1978

Fitzpatrick went to Bristol City for £250K a club record for Bristol City.

St Mirren then smashed the Scottish transfer record by signing Frank McDougall. Plus Doug Somner.

We would not see the same parity between the fees.

Although I do think Celtic won a watch selling O’Reilly. They have done some incredible business and budgeting since Fergus McCann era. Despite Lawwell being hated by the Celtic fans he is a very shrewd operator if he is the main man behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Should be a cap on academy sizes. It's f**king insane. 

Kids and parents are sold the dream. They all believe they can go all the way to the top.

Most are just shirt fillers for the few gems that will succeed.

It’s a numbers game for these clubs CEOs.

Throw enough mud at the wall and some of it will stick.

They don’t care about the waste products.

That’s why I used to like the system of old when young players at St Mirren were taught trades or in later years went onto further education with Reid Kerr.

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Kids and parents are sold the dream. They all believe they can go all the way to the top.

Most are just shirt fillers for the few gems that will succeed.

It’s a numbers game for these clubs CEOs.

Throw enough mud at the wall and some of it will stick.

They don’t care about the waste products.

That’s why I used to like the system of old when young players at St Mirren were taught trades or in later years went onto further education with Reid Kerr.

It's nonsense, the level of churn in kids. My mate used to coach Saints U12s a few years back and the amount of 'ma wean is wanted by Rangers/Celtic' he used to get from delusional parents who felt their kid was 100% going to make it was mental.

He always said that they were of course free to go but they'd have no recourse to return to Saints when they inevitably got purged at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

SR's not really a last day of the window man , so remains to be seen if he's trying to push any deals through , I have my doubts though! Hope I'm wrong !

The only movement will be the boy Sutherland completing his move to Wolves. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Premier League announced some figures a few years ago, from their highest category of academy.

3% will play a single Premier League game, 70% don't get a professional contract at any point, and 1 in 10 make 20+ appearances in the top 4 tiers of English football.

Any idea of what these lads are likely to be earning at a club such as Wolves?

It would be worth it if they get enough so they can tuck away a few quid to put down on a house or put themselves through college/uni. But they could get released and be back to square one.

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Any idea of what these lads are likely to be earning at a club such as Wolves?

It would be worth it if they get enough so they can tuck away a few quid to put down on a house or put themselves through college/uni. But they could get released and be back to square one.

Clever guys ( like Caolean Boyd Munce ) can do a degree part time whilst playing development squad football. 

4 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Clever guys ( like Caolean Boyd Munce ) can do a degree part time whilst playing development squad football. 

I'm sure there's a lot of them. Shaughnessy did one whilst first team captain at St Mirren.

I suppose my worry is that these clubs are taking advantage of young players. Selling them a dream that won't happen for the overwhelming majority, in the hope that they unearth a gem that they can sell for big money.

If they are able to save a few quid then that's something at least.

Edited by houston_bud

Having the academy for our club in modern football definitely serves a purpose.

- It all ticks the right boxes for SFA/UEFA

- Allows us to invest in training facilities for first team

- promising players get a chance to train alongside first team squad and some may get game time 

- provides a pathway to utilise the system of nurturing young players selling for small initial fee with the hope for larger % transfer fees in future

I’m surprised we manage to keep Ethan Erhahon as long as we did. 

It would also seem that we are keen on exploring other avenues by taking calculated risks on certain older players who have been discarded, injured or lost confidence and we are seeing longer deals in place than we used to.

Would be great if Erhahon could be sold in next 24 hours for mega bucks…I’m surprised that’s not happened yet. 

Perhaps Championship clubs want it to see if he can repeat last seasons form.