The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I'm gonna speculate that there's a fair bit more to come tonight .....

I'm guessing one or two more going out, and maybe one or two more arriving.

Let's wait and see, possibly exciting times ahead.

Can only see one in. Would love 2 in though

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Am I the only one who’s not overly enthused about the possibility of Van Veen signing? 

No but if he is fit and scores vital goals then he'll enthuse even us.

1 hour ago, saintmurn said:

Where's Flareybob when you need him?! 

Hearing unconfirmed rumours that Billy Clabby’s been spotted at the Patter Bar. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Am I the only one who’s not overly enthused about the possibility of Van Veen signing? 

Yes. Simon Murray roughly the same age but a goalscorer for Dundee. Most people would take Murray so why not Van Veen?

We need someone who knows where the goal is. KVV has that ability

Just now, AW saint said:

Yes. Simon Murray roughly the same age but a goalscorer for Dundee. Most people would take Murray so why not Van Veen?

We need someone who knows where the goal is. KVV has that ability

I’d have taken Murray nae bother. Just have a fear that Van Veen was a flash in the pan or is a spent force.

Hopefully not. 

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If he was half the player he was for us. He would be better than most of the forward players outside the Old Firm.

It is a gamble of course. But I would be quite excited to see if he could get anywhere near the levels he did for us. I mean he scored in 11 consecutive league games FFS. I would be gutted if he went to St Mirren or any other top flight club tbh.

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’d have taken Murray nae bother. Just have a fear that Van Veen was a flash in the pan or is a spent force.

Hopefully not. 

Every signing is a gamble. 

Also can we create chances for him

Just now, welldaft said:

If he was half the player he was for us. He would be better than most of the forward players outside the Old Firm.

It is a gamble of course. But I would be quite excited to see if he could get anywhere near the levels he did for us. I mean he scored in 11 consecutive league games FFS. I would be gutted if he went to St Mirren or any other top flight club tbh.

If he scores 11 in 18 for us he becomes an automatic gold member in our hall of fame.

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

Every signing is a gamble. 

Also can we create chances for him

Actually a number of his Well goals were from punts up the park that he latched onto. He made the chances and took a fair few

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

He scored 25 goals in our league the season before last. Things didn't go well for him last season but he's not had a bad injury or anything. Chances are he'll put the ball in the net for us.

Alternatives? I guess it's go with what we've got (which we actually got a decent return from in 23/24) or probably one of these English U21 guys.

4 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see us sign someone else on loan too, to help elsewhere whilst we clear up on injuries, without the long term commitments.

Think we will and some of the younger boys will go out on loan too

39 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It’s going to be up to the rest of the team to create the chances , he’s not going to be running back to do much defending so fingers crossed he comes and does all we really want him to do and feckin score goal.

I think there's a pretty good chance that we won't sign anyone tonight, to be honest!

If Groningen are asking silly money for KVV then I think prudency will come to the fore, especially if no senior player departs. After all, we haven't actually lost anyone from the group of forwards that took us to 5th last season. 

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

If deal for KVV falls through we have another target apparently. Reports say Van Veen deal nearly done

I'll take the Mystery Box.

2 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Has Ethan Sutherland went to Wolverhampton yet ? I wonder if we are looking to bring in a couple of Wolves under 21s players as part of the deal .

About three hours ago.