The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I could see Main going to St Johnstone if it's all about the money at this stage in his career. St Johnstone pay well, or at least they did. They absolutely blew us out the water when we tried to sign O'Halloran and Middleton, though they'd just won a cup double at that point, were playing in Europe and were about to sell a couple of guys for relatively big money, so the last couple of years may have blunted their spending power a little. I still reckon they could probably offer Main more than us if they wanted to.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

I could see Main going to St Johnstone if it's all about the money at this stage in his career. St Johnstone pay well, or at least they did. They absolutely blew us out the water when we tried to sign O'Halloran and Middleton, though they'd just won a cup double at that point, were playing in Europe and were about to sell a couple of guys for relatively big money, so the last couple of years may have blunted their spending power a little. I still reckon they could probably offer Main more than us if they wanted to.

Its pretty clear our budget is being cut this season as we've spent an absolute fortune on dogshit lately. The chances of us paying Main a fortune when we already have May, Kane and Clark (and Bair I guess) signed up is nil.

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

Wait a minute...........

I've seen several tear stained posts over the past couple of years, claiming that there's no way The Fakes could outcompete us in the wages stakes.:lol:

So surely that's not correct.

Edited by FTOF

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Wait a minute...........

I've seen several tear stained posts over the past couple of years, claiming that there's no way The Fakes could outcompete us in the wages stakes.:lol:

So surely that's not correct.

Not from me mate!

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its pretty clear our budget is being cut this season as we've spent an absolute fortune on dogshit lately. The chances of us paying Main a fortune when we already have May, Kane and Clark (and Bair I guess) signed up is nil.

Fair enough.

29 minutes ago, GAD said:

Not from me mate

There's one particular St.J poster been greeting that we"ve been paying huge wages off the back of the covid loan, that they couldn't compete with.

If Bacchus is sold let’s tell the fans what the deal is. Don’t go down the undisclosed fee route. He’s a talent and he’s played at a World Cup and will clearly improve further. Let’s not sell him for 300k that’s a joke. 

2 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

If Bacchus is sold let’s tell the fans what the deal is. Don’t go down the undisclosed fee route. He’s a talent and he’s played at a World Cup and will clearly improve further. Let’s not sell him for 300k that’s a joke. 

The fans will know once the accounts are out.

It would be madness to disclose a fee and then every club who we have bids in with all of a sudden become even harder to deal with as they know how much we've pulled in and have extra.

The undisclosed route is the smart route.

6 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Disclosing the fee would be daft - we don’t need to tell other clubs how much money we’re working with.

This argument comes up every time we sell a player but from us all the way up to Real Madrid, Man Utd etc absolutely no one discloses transfer fees.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

I see a lot of folk reckon Baccus could go to a big club for a big fee - and from what little I've seen of him that seems reasonable enough - but my team Bolton are very interested in him and sadly we're in League 1 and are a bit skint TBH having come back from financial oblivion and relegation to League 2 just 3 years ago.

That said, he'd be a good fit for us and our attacking playing style and there's no doubt the management team are ambitious having narrowly lost out in the playoffs and won the Pizza Cup in front of 80k fans at Wembley last season - intent on going up this year. Proper community club these days and the footie's been very entertaining so we've already sold nearly 16k STs and income is being supplemented with events and concerts at the ground with Pink opening her world tour there a couple of weeks ago.

Problem is we loaned a couple of kids from City (goalie) and Liverpool (LWB) last year and they were excellent, so our priority is getting permanent replacements for them. We've signed 2 goalies and are close to signing 2 WBs but a good ball playing DM would be excellent news so how much is left in the pot is the question.

We didn't/couldn't spend anything on transfers for several years but last season we started to splash a few quid and I reckon £400k or maybe a tad more would be our limit for the right player but we'll see - after our financial armageddon the management are determined to live within our means.

Youse have seen him week in week out so do you reckon he's worth £400 - £450k?

34 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I see a lot of folk reckon Baccus could go to a big club for a big fee - and from what little I've seen of him that seems reasonable enough - but my team Bolton are very interested in him and sadly we're in League 1 and are a bit skint TBH having come back from financial oblivion and relegation to League 2 just 3 years ago.

That said, he'd be a good fit for us and our attacking playing style and there's no doubt the management team are ambitious having narrowly lost out in the playoffs and won the Pizza Cup in front of 80k fans at Wembley last season - intent on going up this year. Proper community club these days and the footie's been very entertaining so we've already sold nearly 16k STs and income is being supplemented with events and concerts at the ground with Pink opening her world tour there a couple of weeks ago.

Problem is we loaned a couple of kids from City (goalie) and Liverpool (LWB) last year and they were excellent, so our priority is getting permanent replacements for them. We've signed 2 goalies and are close to signing 2 WBs but a good ball playing DM would be excellent news so how much is left in the pot is the question.

We didn't/couldn't spend anything on transfers for several years but last season we started to splash a few quid and I reckon £400k or maybe a tad more would be our limit for the right player but we'll see - after our financial armageddon the management are determined to live within our means.

£400-£450 won't buy Baccus. Try doubling that amount and throw in add ons. There is a few looking at him so unless you are prepared to push the boat out then he will go elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

£400-£450 won't buy Baccus. Try doubling that amount and throw in add ons. There is a few looking at him so unless you are prepared to push the boat out then he will go elsewhere. 

Whilst I think Keanu is worth more, we have to also be realistic.

He only has a year left and if the board is faced with a choice of £400K now or £0 next Summer then it won’t be a very difficult decision for them to make.

If he goes to England with a decent sell on attached then the hope is that we get the bigger rewards further down the line.

5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

All things being equal, we should be looking at 7 figures.

Going into last year though, I'd be disappointed if we accepted less than £750k and absolutely raging if he went for under £500k.

Anything less and you're well into 'not worth selling him now' territory and you'd be better off keeping him until January and seeing where we are...if we're out both cups and europe isnt a remote possibility then we'd be as well punting him then for about £200k.

Half a million now would at least give us a fair shake of a decent replacement. A couple hundred grand wouldn't.

What I WOULD like to see is a show of good faith from Baccus in the form of O'Hara that he signs a short extension with the understanding of a bid coming in above a certain amount meaning we wouldn't stand in his way.

Such things as this are unlikely though and I feel O'Hara is the exception rather than the rule.

Finally, much like Blackpool when they were sniffing about, I don't think Bolton or League 1 is a good move at all for Baccus. He's 25, a regular in the Australia squad now and is definitely at the level where he can play championship level football without any fuss. If he was 19 or 20 I'd be saying it's a logical next step but he's at a stage now that if he's going to move, it needs to be to a higher standard of football again.

Edited by djchapsticks

I would keep Baccus for the £400k if that was all there was to the deal, £400k and a 25% sell on with bonuses for international caps, and I might be interested.

As for Main to St Johnstone, and I appreciate this is all predicated by some random on twitter, that would seem quite the step down. It would massively improve them, so I understand why anyone would think they should go for him, but it would just be daft for him to move to a club that has just appointed an inexperienced manager rebuilding a team with a reduced budget on what was already reportedly a lowered budget.

All up to Main of course, it would be a bit of a slap in the face to us purely because we stuck within him for over a season while he was utter mince, but this is football and sentimentality doesn't pay the bills. He might want a big payout as he reaches the tail end of his career (not that he's that old, just 30), and who could blame him, but if the farmers throw their money at him they'll have none left for the rest of the team.

What's more, I'd genuinely be shocked if we couldn't match the wages anyone outside of the "big 5" in Scotland can offer. Not saying that we should, just be surprised if we couldn't.

No chance Curtis Main is going to turn us down to sign for St.Johnstone.

Don’t believe for a minute that they could offer any more then we could and also don’t think they need another striker, they’ve fucking loads as it is!

Total non-starter IMO.