The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Watched this with no volume, and in my head, the bloke walks in saying ‘Right. Here’s the briefcase packed with leftover Brophy wages. Fletcher will be here in a minute for it. Get yer’ taps’ on.’

19 minutes ago, medals said:

You're making this up, so why not go whole hog and add a figure like £80,000 or £800,000

It's Elvis - the figure would be that we'd be giving Dundee £100,000 to take him AND paying 75% of his wages.

23 hours ago, medals said:

Never mind all this kit talk.

Let's find another striker that scores 55 goals in 2 seasons for us. Doug S, what a guy!

Could you imagine the outcry if we signed a player who only trains 2 nights a week for £100K 😂 

To lose one first team player to a recently promoted team with a rookie manager may be seen as careless, but to lose two first team players to a recently promoted team with a rookie manager could be considered reckless.

Really don't want to lose Carson, but unless we get a serious offer, then I feel we should go into "Jim McLean mode" in terms of contract parsimoniousness if it's from anyone in this division.

Edited by Ric

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Could you imagine the outcry if we signed a player who only trains 2 nights a week for £100K 😂 

And then followed that up by shelling out a Scottish record transfer fee on a guy who’d had one season as a part timer in the Championship after playing in the juniors before that 

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

To lose one first team player to a recently promoted team with a rookie manager may be seen as careless, but to lose two first team players to a recently promoted team with a rookie manager could be considered reckless.

Really don't want to lose Carson, but unless we get a serious offer, then I feel we should go into "Jim McLean mode" in terms of contract parsimoniousness if it's from anyone in this division.

As much as I'd love Dundee to sign Carson, I 100% agree, even if a huge falling out has happened, there'd need to be serious questions put to those in charge of your club if you just allowed him to saunter off to a divisional rival whilst he has 2 year left on his deal.

St Mirren don't seem to ever act like a basket case so it's a non-starter IMO.

14 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

And then followed that up by shelling out a Scottish record transfer fee on a guy who’d had one season as a part timer in the Championship after playing in the juniors before that 

Frank McDougall the most natural finisher I’ve ever seen at the club along with Somner McAvennie and McGarvey.

Fletcher was 10 goals in 39 appearances last season; Main 9 in 39. Obviously, Fletcher was playing in a poorer team as well.....

On paper, he looks like he'd be a decent signing. Considering the other striker we're looking at is an unknown Israeli, that would suggest that the market isn't great for affordable forward players.

The choice might be Fletcher / young loanee from down south / go with what we've got.

13 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Fletcher was 10 goals in 39 appearances last season; Main 9 in 39. Obviously, Fletcher was playing in a poorer team as well.....

On paper, he looks like he'd be a decent signing. Considering the other striker we're looking at is an unknown Israeli, that would suggest that the market isn't great for affordable forward players.

The choice might be Fletcher / young loanee from down south / go with what we've got.

It seems the Israeli boy is already signed and sealed and just awaiting international clearance.

Daily record Twitter running the Carson story about two clubs in our division and one from England want him. Club say he’s going nowhere unless a six figure transfer is paid.

I’d say take the cash and get the boy McCrorrie from Rangers on a season long loan.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Daily record Twitter running the Carson story about two clubs in our division and one from England want him. Club say he’s going nowhere unless a six figure transfer is paid.

I’d say take the cash and get the boy McCrorrie from Rangers on a season long loan.

I’d say keep one of our best players and retain the continuity we have. Let’s not kid ourselves we won’t get six figures more like 50 k which wouldn’t cover His wage or loan fee. 

Edited by Norrie82

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

They can "want" all they like.

That contract extension seems to have worked well for us.

We can but hope that if there has been a disagreement, that common sense could sort it out.

Edited by FTOF

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

They can "want" all they like.

That contract extension seems to have worked well for us.

If he wants to go I’d rather take the fee and not have an unhappy player tbh. On the flip side I definitely don’t want him signing for a division rival. 

Of course I’d love for him to stay and see out his contract as he will be very difficult to replace with similar quality.