The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, Billy_Gunn said:

He’s also coached some really poor goalies who never improved at all. 

That's no True.

I'd argue that Lyness was performing above his natural level when he was with us. Not considered good enough for Raith or Airdrie but was a very steady hand as a second choice with us apart from one very poor game vs Motherwell.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

That's no True.

I'd argue that Lyness was performing above his natural level when he was with us. Not considered good enough for Raith or Airdrie but was a very steady hand as a second choice with us apart from one very poor game vs Motherwell.

Lyness was a very poor goalkeeper who did not improve above that level during any of his spells with us.

Let’s use Hemming this season as a test case for the super coach and see how it pans out.

31 minutes ago, Billy_Gunn said:

Hladky, Alnwick & Carson were already very good goalkeepers. Not sure how much a part Langfield played in them remaining very good during their time with us.

He’s also coached some really poor goalies who never improved at all. Urminsky hasn’t looked to have improved any from his first appearance to his last against Rangers.

Langfield being great with Goalkeepers is a myth. He was a shite one himself. 

Langfield was done by the time he came to us but he was a decent keeper in his day and had some brilliant games.

5 minutes ago, McG said:

Langfield was done by the time he came to us but he was a decent keeper in his day and had some brilliant games.

Fair enough, I’ll agree to that. You’re right. However, I still reckon it’s smoke and mirrors when it comes to him being some goalkeeper whisperer. 

19 minutes ago, Billy_Gunn said:

Lyness was a very poor goalkeeper who did not improve above that level during any of his spells with us.

Let’s use Hemming this season as a test case for the super coach and see how it pans out.

There is zero need for any sort of "test" to decide if Langfield can spot a top keeper. What a stupid post.

You seem to be one of the cheerleaders for the "hope Hemming fails" clan. Just try getting behind the guy instead of hoping he doesn't cut it just do you can give it the big "told you" routine.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

There is zero need for any sort of "test" to decide if Langfield can spot a top keeper. What a stupid post.

You seem to be one of the cheerleaders for the "hope Hemming fails" clan. Just try getting behind the guy instead of hoping he doesn't cut it just do you can give it the big "told you" routine.

Certainly is when the conversation is that Langfield works works wonders with whichever goalkeepers he’s had. It isn’t true.

i don’t dislike Hemming, I hope he does well but, I just don’t think he’s good enough nor is our coach capable of improving a mediocre goalie; as we’ve seen before.

53 minutes ago, Billy_Gunn said:

Hladky, Alnwick & Carson were already very good goalkeepers. Not sure how much a part Langfield played in them remaining very good during their time with us.

He’s also coached some really poor goalies who never improved at all. Urminsky hasn’t looked to have improved any from his first appearance to his last against Rangers.

Langfield being great with Goalkeepers is a myth. He was a shite one himself. 

So 371 professional appearances, a cup winner who is not only an employee of the club you support but also a fellow fan yet still you put the boot into him? FFS did I log into B&WA by mistake. 

Out of interest how many professional games did you play in?

I don't think I will ever understand some of our fans. 

If Jamie Langfield wasn’t a very capable goalkeeping coach then he wouldn’t be at the club. 
Robinson is not the type of manager who will mess about when it comes to good back room staff.

To assisinate the guy on social media when he’s well respected by many is pretty poor.

19 minutes ago, Torfason said:

So 371 professional appearances, a cup winner who is not only an employee of the club you support but also a fellow fan yet still you put the boot into him? FFS did I log into B&WA by mistake. 

Out of interest how many professional games did you play in?

I don't think I will ever understand some of our fans. 

He made 420 professional appearances.

57 minutes ago, Billy_Gunn said:

Certainly is when the conversation is that Langfield works works wonders with whichever goalkeepers he’s had. It isn’t true.

i don’t dislike Hemming, I hope he does well but, I just don’t think he’s good enough nor is our coach capable of improving a mediocre goalie; as we’ve seen before.

How do you know that Langfield had no influence on the performance of our last 3 keepers. What exactly are you basing this on, oh and don't give us anymore "because he was a shite keeper himself" nonsense as football is littered with guys who are brilliant coaches who were pretty poor players.