The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

..and I feel there should be.

I think the window is a good thing, it has flaws but I dislike having richer clubs being able to buy their way out of trouble at any time. For me, the manager should also be included in that.

That would make things tricky with sacking a manager, which maybe isn't a bad thing.

27 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I wouldn't be that worried with losing Baccus. Players come and go, and we know he's offski at the end of the season anyway. Robinson is more difficult to replace. 

I think the point is why torch this season in the meantime? We might as well just let all the players go since they are going to leave eventually? Surely ideally you want to have a great season and win some prize money, then he can leave and we can replace with better? I don't understand this 'just sell cos he's leaving anyway" mindset. Not at all, unless you actively want a weaker team on the field.

The majority of us grunts who are wage slaves have to work a notice period before leaving a post.  Perhaps that should also apply to football managers.

A notice period that runs to the start of the next transfer window.  At least that way the clubs could take a bit of time to consider who to bring in as a replacement, and the new manager would have a transfer window to work with.

5 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

That would make things tricky with sacking a manager, which maybe isn't a bad thing.

You'd deal with it the same way you want rid of a player, while promoting from within until the window opened.

Baccus would be a huge loss any would walk straight into that Aberdeen team. Losing him at this moment in time to a rival club, would be a sore one.

If I was Baccus, or his agent, I wouldn't be too worried about Aberdeen's offer being rejected. OK, he'll get more money and a few games in the Conference League but he'll then likely be stuck there for 2/3 years. Hold off until January and there may be better offers, and - barring a bad injury - he'll have a host of offers come the end of the season when he's available on a free transfer.

10 minutes ago, Drooper said:

The majority of us grunts who are wage slaves have to work a notice period before leaving a post.  Perhaps that should also apply to football managers.

A notice period that runs to the start of the next transfer window.  At least that way the clubs could take a bit of time to consider who to bring in as a replacement, and the new manager would have a transfer window to work with.

I think that might give rise to an ever so slight conflict of interests. 🤣

I’m guessing it will be a brave man to take on that Hibs job, given they are the epitome of the under achieving basket case club. 

Robinson is bang in the middle of a working project with us, of which has the beginnings of bearing fruit and providing us with a stability and some success. 
We all know how it works and I don’t think for one minute he won’t  be tempted if they offer serious money to him.

But if he sees out the job with us and keeps progressing then bigger jobs will most definitely be on offer.

If he goes then I’d be concerned about any replacement, as Robinson has gutted the club from top to bottom of the notion we can’t compete at the top end of the table.

He’ll be a massive loss in so many ways if he goes. The squad he’s built and the quality of players signed along with some top scouting people he’s brought on board.

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m guessing it will be a brave man to take on that Hibs job, given they are the epitome of the under achieving basket case club. 

Robinson is bang in the middle of a working project with us, of which has the beginnings of bearing fruit and providing us with a stability and some success. 
We all know how it works and I don’t think for one minute he won’t  be tempted if they offer serious money to him.

But if he sees out the job with us and keeps progressing then bigger jobs will most definitely be on offer.

If he goes then I’d be concerned about any replacement, as Robinson has gutted the club from top to bottom of the notion we can’t compete at the top end of the table.

He’ll be a massive loss in so many ways if he goes. The squad he’s built and the quality of players signed along with some top scouting people he’s brought on board.

Wishful thinking there, we were a basket case prior to Jack Ross coming in but we offered a manager a step up the ladder. Hibs would be doing the same with Robinson. You’ve mentioned all the success Robinson has had while at Saints, that would give Robinson all the confidence that he could go and replicate that at Hibs on a bigger scale and then move on to even bigger jobs.

If not Hibs, then Robinson will have his people touting him for the next attractive job that comes up.

We can only hope that he wishes to see out what he has started this season but who knows what the main driver is, likely money in terms of his own wages and playing budget. 

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

Football managers will also have notice periods in their contracts, but the compensation paid by the hiring club will partly be to overcome that aspect and release them straight away. I'm sure if some other desperate company wanted to hire you immediately they could do the same.

36 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Postecoglu/Spurs, if any team could be considered "the epitome of the under achieving basket case", then it's them.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I bet Alloa fans had similar thoughts about Saints when Ross and Goodwin stepped up.

I'd happily trade in the ability to bring in a manager outside the transfer window if it guaranteed we don't lose our manager outside the transfer window.

If it can be done for players, it can be done with managers but I just don't see a push from clubs (or the governing body/bodies) to make that happen.

26 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Wishful thinking there, we were a basket case prior to Jack Ross coming in but we offered a manager a step up the ladder. Hibs would be doing the same with Robinson. You’ve mentioned all the success Robinson has had while at Saints, that would give Robinson all the confidence that he could go and replicate that at Hibs on a bigger scale and then move on to even bigger jobs.

If not Hibs, then Robinson will have his people touting him for the next attractive job that comes up.

We can only hope that he wishes to see out what he has started this season but who knows what the main driver is, likely money in terms of his own wages and playing budget. 

I don’t think any English teams will be looking at him, he was decent at Morecambe without being a shining light. 
In Scotland, neither Rangers nor Celtic would be interested. 
Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs might consider him and they are the only teams that could tempt him. 
Any other Scottish side would be at best a sidesways move. 
In other words, whenever they’re looking for a new manager in either Edinburgh or Aberdeen, this issue will crop up. Every few months then I would expect.

54 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Hibs are probably Scotland’s 5th biggest club, maybe 4th

They finished 5th last season and qualified for Europe.

Not that much of a basket case club!

Just now, Captain_Sensible said:

Hibs are probably Scotland’s 5th biggest club, maybe 4th

They finished 5th last season and qualified for Europe.

Not that much of a basket case club!

They've finished in the top six every season bar one, since getting promoted. They've played in finals and semi finals. And they've still emptied 5 managers in that time.

The board, if not the club, have earned the basket case tag.