The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, djchapsticks said:

The defenders they recruited, Olufunwa and McLellan are two that I would have liked to have seen us go for but I'd have taken them as options with bleeding them in with a fair amount of first team football this season and a relatively settled squad around them.

Think both will find it slightly harder in the situation St. Johnstone are in just now though if that makes sense.

Cheers, I'd agree with that. Are these 2 equipped for a long season and what is their back up options for injuries and suspensions?

They signed a midfielder in today and possibly another later tonight but I think they'll struggle for goals again.

Perhaps stronger than RC defensively but weaker in attack.

50 minutes ago, medals said:

Cheers, I'd agree with that. Are these 2 equipped for a long season and what is their back up options for injuries and suspensions?

They signed a midfielder in today and possibly another later tonight but I think they'll struggle for goals again.

Perhaps stronger than RC defensively but weaker in attack.

We've likely got the worst squad in the division.

But again, MacLean had to overhaul one of the worst squads in the division by cutting the numbers from 40 to 25, slashing the wage bill thats led to a rumoured £2m loss last season, slash the age of a squad that contained 12 over 30s, while having no scouting network, no previous transfer business in place, and being months behind the rest of the league negotiating deals.

I don't understand why so many people seem to think hes done a bad job at his attempt at that.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've likely got the worst squad in the division.

But again, MacLean had to overhaul one of the worst squads in the division by cutting the numbers from 40 to 25, slashing the wage bill thats led to a rumoured £2m loss last season, slash the age of a squad that contained 12 over 30s, while having no scouting network, no previous transfer business in place, and being months behind the rest of the league negotiating deals.

I don't understand why so many people seem to think hes done a bad job at his attempt at that.

I get that huge task. Has he recruited well enough in your opinion.

I get he'll need time to work with the recruits etc, but is there goals in your squad and enough depth?

Where do you think you'll finish?

Just now, medals said:

I get that huge task. Has he recruited well enough in your opinion.

I get he'll need time to work with the recruits etc, but is there goals in your squad and enough depth?

Where do you think you'll finish?

May hit double figures last season and Clark/Kane, if fit, should be looking at 5ish too. Jephcott is virtually 1 goal every 2 games in League One down South too but only in a front two. We should be demanding every striker, plus Wright and Carey, gets 5 or more goals.

We have the weakest, most unproven, squad in the division and look favourites to finish bottom. It is what it is, and it won't be this Summers business thats caused it. We needed a hard reset to try and stop the rot and thats what we got.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

May hit double figures last season and Clark/Kane, if fit, should be looking at 5ish too. Jephcott is virtually 1 goal every 2 games in League One down South too but only in a front two. We should be demanding every striker, plus Wright and Carey, gets 5 or more goals.

We have the weakest, most unproven, squad in the division and look favourites to finish bottom. It is what it is, and it won't be this Summers business thats caused it. We needed a hard reset to try and stop the rot and thats what we got.

Cheers for your honesty. That is more or less iwhat I was assuming. 

I noted you'd played 3 games and hadn't scored yet.

No doubt McLean will demand gritty performances and if you don't get cast adrift, the January window offers a chance for improvements to arrive and deadwood/out of favour players to leave.

Don't wish you any harm, other than against us Of course.

4 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I see that Ross County are going to get a 7 figure sum from a sell on clause for Ross Stewart

I wonder if we had a sell on clause when we sold him to Ross County? Maybe we’re due some of what County are going to get?

Pretty sure I saw it as 80k development fee. Similar to what Kilwinnig Rangers and Ardeer Thistle were due. Some deal 🤪

6 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Aberdeen just announced a new centre half. Surely if they were signing Baccus they’d have announced them together 

Cannot see Baccus going anywhere. Aberdeen are bringing in a load of players but none of any quality

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Pretty sure I saw it as 80k development fee. Similar to what Kilwinnig Rangers and Ardeer Thistle were due. Some deal 🤪

It was said to be that when it was mentioned to be 8 million but its 10 million so probably 100 grand to us.

25 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Aberdeen just announced a new centre half. Surely if they were signing Baccus they’d have announced them together 

Scott Burns saying a possible 1 more in and 1 out for Aberdeen  10 minutes ago.