The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

First half was a non-event other than a great cross from Brown, which Mandron and Olusanya somehow contrived to not get on the end of. Olusanya was clean through, but took one touch too many and a defender put in an excellent tackle as he was about to pull the trigger.

And their goal of course, which was a shot which I'm led to believe took a deflection off one of our players.

Second half the wing backs were far more advanced and more effective. A far more open game.

First goal was a great diagonal cross from Brown which Olusanya directed into the net with a well placed header.

Second goal came from an excellent Sutherland corner, which wasn't cleared properly. The ball bounced into the air and Scott headed into the net.

Their second goal came from a corner. Goal scorer burst into the box unmarked and directed a downward header into the net.

Lots of changes for both teams in the second half. Neither keeper really had a save of note to make.

Gogic was his usual imperious self. Olusanya looked lively. Ayunga looked more like his old self when he came on. Brown got better as the game went on. Rooney looked useful when he came on. 

Didn't feel anyone in midfield really excelled. Smyth was the best of the lot IMO. If anyone wants to offer £250K for CBM, we should take it. He's replaceable. Fraser Taylor played well when he came on.

Iacovitti looks to have done in his hamstring. His first touch got the ball under control, he could have passed back to Balcombe, but he chose to swivel and clear it. Everyone was to busy looking up to see where the clearance had gone to notice Iacovitti on his arse holding the back of his left leg.🤦‍♂️

Have to agree with you here. We started with a 5-3-2 as expected. Admittedly it looked like we were neither going to score or lose a goal in the first half. 

It seemed like we changed to more of a  5-2-3 in second half?

Brown has actually been one of the better players of this pre season which I didn’t expect to say.

Rooney looked a bit more like what we were expecting when he came on.

Agreed on CBM. I think he’s had a poor pre season imo. Has he actually got a corner cross that hasn’t overshot the box yet in preseason?  I thought he was decent when we were on the ball,  but seemed a bit off the pace when we were off it. 

In terms of Europe. Could see him sticking to a 5-3-2 to get an away draw then going 5-2-3 at home to try and win it. 

Got to hope we play a lot better on Thursday. 

Lacovitti looks like he done his hamstring. 

Worry we are conceding poor goals. If we lose Olusanya we will struggle to get goals. 

Thoughts on what kind of level Valur are at?

I know it's a part-time league but they've got plenty of experience and a number of guys who have played outside Iceland.

Raith Rovers, Partick Thistle equivalent? 

To me, on paper we should win the tie but it'll be tough with them being right in the thick of competitive football. Would take a draw at their place I think.

12 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I know it's a part-time league but they've got plenty of experience and a number of guys who have played outside Iceland.

To me, on paper we should win the tie but it'll be tough with them being right in the thick of competitive football. Would take a draw at their place I think.

A bit better than that I would imagine, they have a number of Icelandic internationalists in their team. Maybe a bottom half SPL side? 

8 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

On observing one friendly game last night, we're not dreadful by any means, but we lack cohesiveness.

We also lack a physical presence in our back line that can cope with high balls. I was hoping Iacovitti might help with that, but alas...........................

Midfield is a bit of a problem too. Smyth is still playing catch up in terms of match fitness and on last night's showing, we need to see a lot more from O'Hara and CBM. I felt the game passed them by. They need to exert their presence much more. On their day they can be very decent players. They need to start delivering the goods. They need to drive on into the space. CBM in partcular has a natural inclination to turn back and pass the ball back, rather than exploiting space in front of him.

Anyone who thinks we'll saunter past Valur is living in cloud cuckoo land. It is St.Mirren after all.

Whatever the outcome I predict a nerve shredding watch over two legs.

10 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Does anyone speak Icelandic?

Fyrsta markið skoraði Gunni, annað markið af Geordie Shaw, þriðja markið skoraði Paul Lambert sá allra flottasti. Ekkert mark var skorað af Celtic, 3-0 urðu lokatölur og maður gat ekki heyrt hermannasönginn fyrir hina heilögu ganga inn, ó þegar dýrlingarnir.....

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Fyrsta markið skoraði Gunni, annað markið af Geordie Shaw, þriðja markið skoraði Paul Lambert sá allra flottasti. Ekkert mark var skorað af Celtic, 3-0 urðu lokatölur og maður gat ekki heyrt hermannasönginn fyrir hina heilögu ganga inn, ó þegar dýrlingarnir.....

That's easy for you to say.

27 minutes ago, Hendo said:

A bit better than that I would imagine, they have a number of Icelandic internationalists in their team. Maybe a bottom half SPL side? 

There are certainly players who have represented their national team but generally in friendlies and a few years ago. No-one involved recently.

Sigurdsson was capped last October (for the first time in 3 years) when he was playing for a Danish side. Nothing though since arriving at Valur.

Looking at value website - section D not available - guessing this will be where our fans will be ? From pics it looks like they only have one stand …

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

On observing one friendly game last night, we're not dreadful by any means, but we lack cohesiveness.

We also lack a physical presence in our back line that can cope with high balls. I was hoping Iacovitti might help with that, but alas...........................

Midfield is a bit of a problem too. Smyth is still playing catch up in terms of match fitness and on last night's showing, we need to see a lot more from O'Hara and CBM. I felt the game passed them by. They need to exert their presence much more. On their day they can be very decent players. They need to start delivering the goods. They need to drive on into the space. CBM in partcular has a natural inclination to turn back and pass the ball back, rather than exploiting space in front of him.

Anyone who thinks we'll saunter past Valur is living in cloud cuckoo land. It is St.Mirren after all.

Whatever the outcome I predict a nerve shredding watch over two legs.

Pretty much nailed it. Totally agree. 

51 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Looking at value website - section D not available - guessing this will be where our fans will be ? From pics it looks like they only have one stand …

That's what we've went with. Got seats right next to there.