The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Brann were very, very good and are clearly a few levels above us, however it doesn't mean we can't be disappointed with how we played. Had we performed like that against an Old Firm team I'd have been furious. Somehow, we got away with it - their finishing and decision making in the final third was atrocious. Tie should be over, instead we have a chance.

The subs who all came on made a real difference to us, not just because three of them were involved in the goal. Adeniran made a huge difference, if we can keep him fit he'll be some player.

No problem with our shithousery for the goal given what had happened with the goalie and their player going down with cramp. No chance you're getting the ball back.

If it's correct it's three bookings before a suspension that's some good news as, between last night and the ref in the first leg against Valur, I was worried most of our defence would be missing! Not sure how we got six booked last night and Brann managed none.

I am still expecting Brann to beat us over the two legs, but to be going over there still in with a chance is good enough for me.

Hopefully we can have O'Hara back for Thursday (doubt it), and perhaps add another player between now and then to give us a bit of a boost heading over to hostile territory.

If Rooney shithouses them over there he deserves the Ballon d'Or.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

A fit Ryan Jack is an immense signing and is instantly our best midfielder.

A fit Ryan Jack is by no means a given or even anything other than a pipedream presently though.

My worry is that if he was likely to stay fit, he'd still be at Rangers. Depending on his wage demands, he is probably worth the risk. Even if he only starts a dozen games, having him around as someone who can step in when necessary could be invaluable. 

Wait and see him sign for Brann now!

1 hour ago, RagaRocker said:

I'd say the cheating went both ways. St. Mirren got free kicks from dives/semi dives/smartness the 1st half and even the Norwegian commentator Henning Berg (ex Man Utd/Blackburn) pointed out that your goalie most likely went down to allow the rest of the team a tactical chat. He can't be sure though, but every team does that when in trouble nowadays.

Have to say the Brann fans you hear or read post match are the ones with the loudest voice or caps lock on. Most Brann fans are pissed off with goalie Dyngeland naively/cynically choosing to kick the ball out of play. He shouldve at least smashed if 50 meters further up the pitch, because he got really nice long pass skills.

I love our coach. He is extremely on fire during the matches, but he didnt want to talk about fair play post match. It happened. Next match please. Players are quite the same so they sent director Christian Kalvenes (ex Dundee Utd) instead.

I don't understand why Brann stopped playing on 1-0. They were so good. I think they might be a bit obsessed with learning how to act cynical in European games when in the lead away from home. This style of play has reached the Norwegian league as well and they have lost matches when they have surprisingly been down 0-1 and the opponent have started to waste time.

It all started with Brann - Fredrikstad 0-2 when 13 (!) minutes was added in the 2nd half because of time wasting. Fredrikstad needed on-pitch treatment no less than 13 times in that match. In the next away match FFK needed treatment 14 times.

After that, I think Brann have tried to learn how to control and slow down games when needed. Didnt need that yesterday though. 

This is pretty much spot on. Brann is trying to learn how to «play the game» on Euro nights, but don't know what they're doing, so we get silly stuff like yesterday. As you say, we have the pathetic Fredrikstad match in the back of our heads, and we know that we have to learn to be cynical when the match demands it. But yesterday we were absolutely hammering St Mirren, so makes no sense why we did it. Should just play on and go for 2–0 as we usually do.

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

A fit Ryan Jack is an immense signing and is instantly our best midfielder.

A fit Ryan Jack is by no means a given or even anything other than a pipedream presently though.

A fit Ryan Jack is exactly what our midfield needs. He has experience at a higher level and has a dig about him. We miss a ball winner in the middle of the park. CBM etc are good on the ball but don't break up play. 

If he is an option then bring him in. 

His wage might be an issue though

3 minutes ago, brannfakkel said:

This is pretty much spot on. Brann is trying to learn how to «play the game» on Euro nights, but don't know what they're doing, so we get silly stuff like yesterday. As you say, we have the pathetic Fredrikstad match in the back of our heads, and we know that we have to learn to be cynical when the match demands it. But yesterday we were absolutely hammering St Mirren, so makes no sense why we did it. Should just play on and go for 2–0 as we usually do.

It's also not really a "thing" any more here to put the ball out to get a trainer on, it's pretty much up to the ref and I can't remember seeing anyone do it outwith a proper serious injury for while in a domestic game. It was cynical (hence why it was clamped down on) and if you did that in a Scottish league game you probably wouldn't expect the opposition to give you back possession. Also when it was common the defending team would generally put it out as far from their own goal as possible, what Brann did last night was plain stupid on both counts, naive even. 

Is it still common practice in Norway ???

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

It's also not really a "thing" any more here to put the ball out to get a trainer on, it's pretty much up to the ref and I can't remember seeing anyone do it outwith a proper serious injury for while in a domestic game. It was cynical (hence why it was clamped down on) and if you did that in a Scottish league game you probably wouldn't expect the opposition to give you back possession. Also when it was common the defending team would generally put it out as far from their own goal as possible, what Brann did last night was plain stupid on both counts, naive even. 

Is it still common practice in Norway ???

The problem in Norway is our refs don't do anything about it other than adding extra time, which is annoying. I think if you were to watch Brann–Fredrikstad and you would go mental the way Fredrikstad laid down every fkn time the ball was out, it was such a farce. Good on you that you don't do it anymore in Scotland.

1 hour ago, RagaRocker said:

I'd say the cheating went both ways. St. Mirren got free kicks from dives/semi dives/smartness the 1st half and even the Norwegian commentator Henning Berg (ex Man Utd/Blackburn) pointed out that your goalie most likely went down to allow the rest of the team a tactical chat. He can't be sure though, but every team does that when in trouble nowadays.

After that, I think Brann have tried to learn how to control and slow down games when needed. Didnt need that yesterday though. 

I'm not sure Balcombe went down to let the players have a tactical chat - he seemed to be uncomfortable kicking on one side - and had one kick that went straight out of play level with the penalty box a few moments later. I also don't think we got many free kicks the entire game, (UEFA says 5!) so surprised we're even being accused of smartness to get them! 

Brann accepting a 1-0 was madness given they dominated the ball. I get why they are unhappy with the ending but the there are ways to time waste other than needing treatment. You're spot on about the naivety of the keeper - launch it out of play on the half way line. 

Just now, houston_bud said:

The Brann supporters on here are far too fair and honest. That'll never catch on on a Scottish football forum.

You should head to twitter. The ones there are frothy messes.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

The Brann supporters on here are far too fair and honest. That'll never catch on on a Scottish football forum.

Don't have a look on Twitter then. Seething war in CAPS LOCK between St Mirren and Brann fans, both just as bad. Albeit the cheap banter type.

Edited by brannfakkel

11 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

It’s how oil rig workers describe Norwegian fellow workers, its not meant to be derogatory as far as I’m aware.

I could be wrong but Meadowroad saint worked with Norwegian lads on the rigs, he will confirm.

I worked for a Norwegian company for 26 years, great outfit, and yes we called them Noggies. They called us a variety of names 😂, all good banter and a few Brann supporters among them.

I expect some pelters coming my way by this time next week.....

4 minutes ago, brannfakkel said:

The problem in Norway is our refs don't do anything about it other than adding extra time, which is annoying. I think if you were to watch Brann–Fredrikstad and you would go mental the way Fredrikstad laid down every fkn time the ball was out, it was such a farce. Good on you that you don't do it anymore in Scotland.

Cramp simply sees a team mate or even an opponent stretch the affected player out, pretty much the game goes on while it happens. Our game on Sunday, a couple of our guys were struggling late on and Gogic and Fraser (captain) both urged them to get up and get on with it simply to avoid any more additional time. Our refs are generally pretty poor but they tend not to allow players to simply go down to waste time then add it on.

The goal didn't really come from that either, another phase or two including a corner after it before the goal but it definitely seemed to rattle the defence for those plays. 

Neil Warnock moaned about his players getting cramp while waiting for VAR to give us a penalty against Aberdeen. Now cramp has led to us equalising last night.

Thank goodness for our superior fitness 😎

22 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I'm not sure Balcombe went down to let the players have a tactical chat - he seemed to be uncomfortable kicking on one side - and had one kick that went straight out of play level with the penalty box a few moments later. I also don't think we got many free kicks the entire game, (UEFA says 5!) so surprised we're even being accused of smartness to get them! 

Brann accepting a 1-0 was madness given they dominated the ball. I get why they are unhappy with the ending but the there are ways to time waste other than needing treatment. You're spot on about the naivety of the keeper - launch it out of play on the half way line. 

The guy with cramps is not really match fit yet after being injured for months so I thought at first it was real, but I realize it was probably fake.

Your coach was sarcastic to Norwegian media saying a mid season team shouldnt have players down with cramps, but have to be added that 3 of 4 in the defense are not 100% match fit as well (LB, one CB and the RB) + RW. They have all recently been injured or are still injured, but options are slim. Our LB doesnt participate much in training sessions and cant use his left foot much. His left foot is made of gold and his only really good skill.

The RB, with a really good match, is usually more of a back up DM/CM.

Looking so much forward to Thursday. I'll be in the family stand close to the away section. I will shout out your nicknames and see if someone reacts to it.

Edited by RagaRocker