The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

36 minutes ago, brannfakkel said:

This is pretty much spot on. Brann is trying to learn how to «play the game» on Euro nights, but don't know what they're doing, so we get silly stuff like yesterday. As you say, we have the pathetic Fredrikstad match in the back of our heads, and we know that we have to learn to be cynical when the match demands it. But yesterday we were absolutely hammering St Mirren, so makes no sense why we did it. Should just play on and go for 2–0 as we usually do.

Spot on.

If you had continued to play as you did in the first half, albeit we improved later on, you could be going home with at least a 2 - 0 victory.

I was very surprised you slowed the game down as you were so far ahead of us. Although fatigue may have played a part in it.

You'll most likely beat us in Bergen, but it's good to have a wee bit of an edge between the teams.:)

9 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

The guy with cramps is not really match fit yet after being injured for months so I thought at first it was real, but I realize it was probably fake.

Your coach was sarcastic to Norwegian media saying a mid season team shouldnt have players down with cramps, but have to be added that 3 of 4 in the defense are not 100% match fit as well (LB, one CB and the RB) + RW. They have all recently been injured or are still injured, but options are slim. Our LB doesnt participate much in training sessions and cant use his left foot much. His left foot is made of gold and his only really good skill.

The RB, with a really good match, is usually more of a back up DM/CM.

Looking so much forward to Thursday. I'll be in the family stand close to the away section. I will shout out your nicknames and see if someone reacts to it.

Out of interest, where do you think St Mirren would finish in the Norwegian league?

I always find it hard to compare the standard of football between countries, but based on last night, your boys would comfortably be top 2 in Scotland.

4 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Out of interest, where do you think St Mirren would finish in the Norwegian league?

I always find it hard to compare the standard of football between countries, but based on last night, your boys would comfortably be top 2 in Scotland.

I was quite shocked at the difference tbhm thought it would be closer. Based on last night only, would say you were playing like a relegation candidate in Norway. But kinda hard to say based on one game.

7 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Very interesting question. Its hard to compare because your style seems to be very different to quite many teams in Eliteserien. Many Norwegian teams are focusing on possession, they are not that physical and so on.

And you have just started your season and I expect the speed of your game will increase a bit in, lets say, 1 month. Quite physical, direct and very good on set pieces.

The most similar team in Norway is maybe HamKam. Based on yesterday you are close to the bottom 3, but hard to say based on 90 mins.

Sandefjord, at the foot of the Eliteserien table, beat Bodø/Glimt a month ago.

Edited by RagaRocker

3 minutes ago, brannfakkel said:

I was quite shocked at the difference tbhm thought it would be closer. Based on last night only, would say you were playing like a relegation candidate in Norway. But kinda hard to say based on one game.

I  did expect Brann to be better than us, but I was quite surprised how much better you actually were.

3 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

Very interesting question. Its hard to compare because your style seems to be very different to quite many teams in Eliteserien. Many Norwegian teams are focusing on possession, they are not that physical and so on.

And you have just started your season and I expect the speed of your game will increase a bit in, lets say, 1 month. Quite physical, direct and very good on set pieces.

The most similar team in Norway is maybe HamKam. Based on yesterday you are close to the bottom 3, but hard to say based on 90 mins.

Sandefjord, at the foot of the Eliteserien table, beat Bodø/Glimt a month ago.

Our entire game plan has never been possession-based under the manager. We are very much a team who will surrender possession to the opposition in order to counter attack at pace. It has worked very well for us in Scotland over the last two years, but we really struggled to get any sort of  quick counter attacking play. That is probably due to a combination of Brann being very good in possession and us also missing several of our key players.

One observation was that you guys seem to be missing a proper number 9. You play very good football, but if you had a real predatory penalty box striker you would have likely won by a couple of goals last night.

No getting away from the fact we were rotten last night and completely outplayed.

In our defence 3 first team players were  injured and Toyosi wasn't started as he had a knock. Several of our new guys (almost all the 5 in midfield and a striker) have not played competitive football in many months so are not match fit as are most of the team having only played one league game.

I would still expect Brann to win if we played them in another 2 months or so however we would give a far better performance.

13 minutes ago, FTOF said:

You'll most likely beat us in Bergen, but it's good to have a wee bit of an edge between the teams.:)

Exactly, it's these nights we live (and die) for. Away game where there is still hope.

Brann are more experienced in Europe, but can't say they are regulars. The coach is super focused on that Brann is here to learn and to grow as club and team. 

Brann 2024 is 80% of the same team that played in Obos (2. division) two seasons ago. They spent the season on level 2 to play the same starting lineup for 30 matches and they can now pass the ball around blindfolded in 2024.

The fans feel every match in Europe is an adventure and a bonus to everyday Eliteserien life. 

Brann were totally outplayed away to Arouca in Portugal last year, but adjusted things tactically at half time and got better. They ran over Arouca at home. The next round, they controlled the possession away to bloody AZ. They are learning quick, but they are super focused on that Europe is pure fun, bonus matches and a chance to grow as club.

4 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

No getting away from the fact we were rotten last night and completely outplayed.

In our defence 3 first team players were  injured and Toyosi wasn't started as he had a knock. Several of our new guys (almost all the 5 in midfield and a striker) have not played competitive football in many months so are not match fit as are most of the team having only played one league game.

I would still expect Brann to win if we played them in another 2 months or so however we would give a far better performance.

Hows the injury situation before the 2nd leg you think?

We were very poor and you could see the midfield was 3 guys who barely played together before. Badly missed Kiltie, O'Hara, McMenamin in that team.  

Robinson touched upon the finances and resources Brann have as being substantially above us. I don't know what Norwegian football finances are, but not hard to imagine them being better than the SPFL. Also give we're viewing the conference league money as huge for us - if they qualify more often probably isn't as valuable. 

I also suspect Brann don't lose promising players to England's lower leagues as much, nor have clubs like OF picking up their best talent but nothing we can do to stop that. 

Don’t know about anyone else, but aside from the goalie and the needless situation brought on themselves by kicking the ball out, I don’t have a problem with Brann. In fact, I admired their play, passing and skill. All over the park, they could play alright. The No23 was superb, as was the Jonjo Shelvey lookalike guy at the back. Maybe they are guilty of wasteful finishing, I don’t know, I’ve never seen them before last night. I’d pay money to watch fitba’ like they play. They aren’t Barcelona obviously, but it was very, very easy to like. Balcombe saves and Gogic doing Gogic things kept us in it. When you think about some of the shite we’ve seen at the SMiSA down the years, from both poor St Mirren sides, and shithousery from Hamilton and Livingston, Jesus, I fair enjoyed that last night. Even though we were far from at our best. This is all Brucie Bonus stuff for us, and we have done very, very well. Nothing to lose on Thursday. Hope we keep the ball better though, and having seen them in the flesh, hope Robbo has some ideas up his sleeve.

On balance, should Brann prevail, through their undoubted skill, then aye, good luck in the next round. Should we produce the best result in our history, bar the cup wins and maybe Shuggie saving us at Stirling? Then fcuk um’. 😜

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

Hows the injury situation before the 2nd leg you think?

St Mirren's signing policy is to sign players that have lost their way through injury or falling out of favour with their club. Players who once looked very good with potential and we have had a great success in building confidence and improving those players.

The 3 midfield and 2 wing backs last night all came into that category. Only one had played regular football last season. 2 were out injured all season and 2 others were subs most of the season. 2 of our subs last night hadn't played at all last season either. Scott for example was sold for £1m a few years ago as a 19year old but struggled with injuries and lack of confidence but our manager knows he has potential so we signed him on a free transfer to develop him.

Our policy takes time to come to fruition so at the start of the season some players struggle.

8 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

We were very poor and you could see the midfield was 3 guys who barely played together before. Badly missed Kiltie, O'Hara, McMenamin in that team.  

Robinson touched upon the finances and resources Brann have as being substantially above us. I don't know what Norwegian football finances are, but not hard to imagine them being better than the SPFL. Also give we're viewing the conference league money as huge for us - if they qualify more often probably isn't as valuable. 

I also suspect Brann don't lose promising players to England's lower leagues as much, nor have clubs like OF picking up their best talent but nothing we can do to stop that. 

Brann expected income in 2024: £9 000 000 and balance around break even.

Our players are not that popular abroad because of their age, but we sold our captain to Aberdeen who most likely doubled his wage. Last year we sold an instrumental mdf to Union St. Gilloise and our young left back to AZ. Another regular mdf left for level 2 in Denmark (wtf) for family reasons.

Edited by RagaRocker

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

St Mirren's signing policy is to sign players that have lost their way through injury or falling out of favour with their club. Players who once looked very good with potential and we have had a great success in building confidence and improving those players.

The 3 midfield and 2 wing backs last night all came into that category. Only one had played regular football last season. 2 were out injured all season and 2 others were subs most of the season. 2 of our subs last night hadn't played at all last season either. Scott for example was sold for £1m a few years ago as a 19year old but struggled with injuries and lack of confidence but our manager knows he has potential so we signed him on a free transfer to develop him.

Our policy takes time to come to fruition so at the start of the season some players struggle.

We are more similar than you would think! Brann is quite much the same. 

Brann dont have any debt anymore because they sold one of their stands to office/apartments. They dont spend money they dont have. We have been on that roller coaster ride for decades and we dont want to go back there.

If they want to sign a player, another player have to leave first. Our captain left and what did Brann do? They spent the money on an out of favour mdf in Tromsø (Opsahl). He was their best mdf last year, but something happened and he haven't played since. Totally different to our DM-captain so one of the other midfielders had to learn how to be a DM (Kornvig). Opsahl came on min 88'ish.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

"Norgies" I could understand but "Noggies" just doesn't make any sense.

I think it was from the old Pugwash character Noggin the Nog.....The Norwegians I worked with found it funny. They were the best straight faced lot for taking the piss I ever met. 😂

25 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

Brann expected income in 2024: £9 000 000 and balance around break even.

Our players are not that popular abroad because of their age, but we sold our captain to Aberdeen who most likely doubled his wage. Last year we sold an instrumental mdf to Union St. Gilloise and our young left back to AZ. Another regular mdf left for level 2 in Denmark (wtf) for family reasons.

Quite a bit more than Saints on £5.5m and that was a good year for us too- was £4.2m previous year. 

In the cold light of day, I've been trying to work out whether Brann's dominance last night was simply down to them being a much better team than us, or us being poor by our own standards? I'm hoping it's the latter because if it's not, it doesn't bode well for next week.

I suspect the answer probably lies somewhere in between.

I certainly thought we were much better against Hibs at the weekend when it came to the basics like passing and mixing it up between long ball and trying to play football. Last night I felt Brann did to us, what we normally do other teams i.e. a very strong press forcing tight passing which leads to mistakes. Our passing was noticably poor last night.

One thing is for sure, we NEED to be better next week. I believe we can be, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

15 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In the cold light of day, I've been trying to work out whether Brann's dominance last night was simply down to them being a much better team than us, or us being poor by our own standards? I'm hoping it's the latter because if it's not, it doesn't bode well for next week.

I suspect the answer probably lies somewhere in between.

I certainly thought we were much better against Hibs at the weekend when it came to the basics like passing and mixing it up between long ball and trying to play football. Last night I felt Brann did to us, what we normally do other teams i.e. a very strong press forcing tight passing which leads to mistakes. Our passing was noticably poor last night.

One thing is for sure, we NEED to be better next week. I believe we can be, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Henning Berg said it well I think. You didnt park the bus and you didnt have an aggressive press. You ended up in between and made it easy for Brann. They always had players available.