The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

19 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I tend to agree with you, but might the European cash sway that type of decision.

I’m with you though, I doubt it. 

I think the club will have realised that we're way short , quality wise , of matching last seasons top five finish. Maybe not Sidibeh , but I'm sure they'll be a few more additions in the positions that clearly need strengthened !

I find it quite hard to believe that the boy has a £500K release clause in his contract in the first place.

Either way, he certainly won't be signing for us!

There is a game here that we need to play in too.

Miovski purchase and selling fee gives the Dons more than enough to pay our entire wages bill for well over a year.

Hibs with Bowie (was impressive at the weekend out-muscling Tic's best CB)

And there are others who clubs see great potential but will happily sell if their valuation is right.

So we've started paying fees too. We need some of them making a big difference over the seasons and a sell on or 2 to boost our war fund.

Sidebe looks a bargain at 0.5 £M

6 minutes ago, medals said:

There is a game here that we need to play in too.

Miovski purchase and selling fee gives the Dons more than enough to pay our entire wages bill for well over a year.

Hibs with Bowie (was impressive at the weekend out-muscling Tic's best CB)

And there are others who clubs see great potential but will happily sell if their valuation is right.

So we've started paying fees too. We need some of them making a big difference over the seasons and a sell on or 2 to boost our war fund.

Sidebe looks a bargain at 0.5 £M

We're miles away from being able to spend half a million on a player I'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

We're miles away from being able to spend half a million on a player I'm afraid.

I'm not saying that we're not. 

I'm just saying thinking bigger is a risk others do and although on a smaller scale guys like Conor M are possibly our foray into this "game".

1 minute ago, medals said:

I'm not saying that we're not. 

I'm just saying thinking bigger is a risk others do and although on a smaller scale guys like Conor M are possibly our foray into this "game".

It’s great to think bigger and have ambition but we are nowhere near in a position to spend £500k on players. Aberdeen, Hibs etc operate in a completely different market than we do in terms of signings.

9 minutes ago, SS77 said:

It’s great to think bigger and have ambition but we are nowhere near in a position to spend £500k on players. Aberdeen, Hibs etc operate in a completely different market than we do in terms of signings.

Yes that is how it has been and to even be discussing this 5 seasons ago would have been crazy. 

It's not just the fee, it's the wages too.

So we're being offered fees e.g. about 300 k for CBM while the Dons are getting 20 times that apparently for Miovski.

We've paid for a few players recently.  If we got £350k for CBM and could go for Sidibeh, fee and wages would you not welcome the venture?

Anyway all speculation

Edited by medals

15 minutes ago, AW saint said:

He is exactly the type of player we need. I would be surprised if we were in for him though. Robbo would not spend 500k on a player. 

On other news Kwon is off to Hibs

Yes he looks great and I'm sure he'd improve us.

Kwon is a good signing for them if we don’t step in and get him back. I'd be surprised if they were not interested in Sidibeh too.

Edited by medals

3 minutes ago, medals said:

Yes that is how it has been and to even be discussing this 5 seasons ago would have been crazy. 

It's not just the fee, it's the wages too.

So we're being offered fees e.g. about 300 k for CBM while the Dons are getting 30 times that apparently for Miovski.

We've paid for a few players recently.  If we got £350k for CBM and could go for Sidibeh, fee and wages would you not welcome the venture?

Anyway all speculation

Miovski was arguably the best striker in the country - CBM is a good player but isn’t anywhere near the best in his position in the league. 

I don’t think I’d be happy spending £500k on Sidibe and the club wouldn’t do it either.

1 minute ago, SS77 said:

Miovski was arguably the best striker in the country - CBM is a good player but isn’t anywhere near the best in his position in the league. 

I don’t think I’d be happy spending £500k on Sidibe and the club wouldn’t do it either.

Fair giving your opinion and I do think the chances of him coming to us is a single digit %, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sold on next time for a very considerable profit.

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

With Hibs seemingly in a bit of a mess, this might be the Buddies time to take over in the top 6, by spending a bit of money and even overstretching themselves, even if only for a couple of seasons. Another season of european football would be phenomenal for them, although it seems to be incredibly difficult lately for non-OF teams to get two successive seasons of european football (apart from the third farce, of course).

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I tend to agree with you, but might the European cash sway that type of decision.

I’m with you though, I doubt it. 

I'm not sure 2 rounds worth of cash will make any difference to you. Lets be honest 😆

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

With Hibs seemingly in a bit of a mess, this might be the Buddies time to take over in the top 6, by spending a bit of money and even overstretching themselves, even if only for a couple of seasons. Another season of european football would be phenomenal for them, although it seems to be incredibly difficult lately for non-OF teams to get two successive seasons of european football (apart from the third farce, of course).

So this is the game I'm speaking about.

The issue for many fans is that they do not want us overstretching.

While a guy with huge potential can be purchased, there is no guarantee he won't have a terrible injury prone season or two or see out his contract and go for zilch.

If (big IF) Robinson suddenly had an extra £500k at his disposal to strengthen our squad I reckon it would be foolhardy (or stupid) to blooter it all on a single player who could conceivably suffer a serious injury on his first appearance for us.

It's too big a gamble for a club with our financial constraints.

10 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

I'm not sure 2 rounds worth of cash will make any difference to you. Lets be honest 😆

It’s about £900k plus whatever money we’ve made from TV, gate receipts etc. It’s a lot of money for a club of our size.

I would like to think the club have roughly decided their allocation on the additional european income. I think in an interview a while ago that the manager said he would get additional funds based on progress. I would hazard a guess outside of the expenses they incur in the tournamenet they will allocate percentages accros player transfers/remedial works/paying down debts.  I'd be shocked if we blootered it all on players.