The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Wasn't at the game, but with 30 minutes to go, bringing on a 16 year old to play up front rather than have KVV or TO on the park.... I found that staggering. 2 subs at HT too and, presumably, a change of system. Pretty drastic.

I think SR is struggling badly at the moment to find his best team and system. Perhaps having a bit of crisis in confidence himself; he'll have a sleepless night tonight. Days like today are the ones you learn from though and things can turn round quickly in football.

20 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

The biggest issue I had with the summer recruitment was the non replacement of James Bolton. For me, Robbo, signed Iacovitti because he doesn't fully trust Taylor and obviously we had let Charles Dunne go at that point. I know there was chat that Rooney could play there but that then weakened us at RWB.

Now after a few defensive injuries he's had to play a back 4 but that doesn't suit any of our defenders. I don't think Gogic can play in a 4, Marcus certainly can't as a centre half and isnt good enough to play as the full back. Tanser is best as a wing back. 

The midfield balance hasn't been right at all so far this season. Smyth doesnt look up to it. OHara and CBM have been off form. I actually like the look of Phillips and has been decent. Adenerin looked good but seems to have been bombed out a bit until today. 

Olusanya needs to play through the middle, he's wasted out wide. It seems that no part of the team picks itself. That's a worry after 9 games.

The goalie is a massive issue as well as said above. 

Pretty much spot on. 

It is no wonder Gogic has been dropped to the bench for international games. He needs balance beside him on either side. Bolton is a big miss and Taylor/Iacovitti missing doesn't help. 

We don't have any ball carrying players. Our midfield constantly gives it away and can't hit through balls to runners. 

Toyosi is not a winger full stop. 

Keeper needs replaced in the window. 

Would love a clear out of 5 or 6 not up to it but this won't happen. 

All the good work done is at risk. It happens in football. Look at Aberdeen last season and Hearts and Hibs. We don't have devine right to be top 6 but we could easily be bottom in a few weeks. 

10 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Weegies... LMAO

You came back from 2-0 down at HT at Parkhead to get a draw, despite 14 minutes of injury time and you’re posting a really weak wind up here. @Jacksgranda have a word please, these young ones don’t know how to celebrate. 🤦🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

I was surprised to see he is 25 now, at 6ft 6” and having been at the club for almost 5 years, he should be first choice by now, so given his lack of minutes and performances when he has played………………….it is a mystery why he is still here. Cheap being the only reasonable conclusion.

Many “backup” keepers are essentially that in the modern game with a huge bench to choose from.

Not expected to push for a starting place.

Used for training and emergency cover in games. 

I think we can safely write off Ibrox as another pumping next Sunday. After that we have a Wednesday - Saturday double header in Paisley against St Johnstone and Ross County, before going to Easter Road in the last game before international break. 
Those three games are starting to look very important, even season defining. Six or more points and we can breathe a sigh of relief and probably look forward to another season of mid table obscurity. 
Fail to win any of them and we will almost certainly be in the bottom two this time next month, and amongst the favourites to stay there.
It’s starting to feel like one of those seasons where everything that could go wrong is going wrong. The terrible summer recruitment, the defensive injury crisis and then losing Rooney to top it off. 
Another loss that’s even more important in my opinion, is Diarmuid O’Carroll. By all accounts he’s been a major part of our success in the last 12 months or so and he was clearly a popular figure around the club. Him getting headhunted by Newcastle United would seem to back his credentials up. Since he left, we’ve lost three on the spin, and looked a bit shambolic and rudderless at times. The double sub at half time today and the triple sub 15 minutes afterwards looked like the work of a manager who’d lost his head a bit. 
When O’Carroll did leave I expected us to make an external appointment who had experience of being assistant manager at an equivalent level before. A fresh set of eyes would have been very welcome given our situation. The internal promotion of a rookie looks like the cheap option and a bit of a missed opportunity I think. I guess it’s too late to demote Kerr back to first team coach and get an experienced assistant in now, shame.
I expect the next couple of months to be fairly grim and us to be in and around the relegation mix in January with another four or five teams. 
It will then just be a question of who amongst the dogfight has the best transfer window. 
Hopefully it’s us. 

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It's a hiccup, not a terminal illness. 

Calm heads required, not pants wetters.

We just got pumped 4-0 by a team bottom of the league who hadn’t won a domestic game all season tbf. 

That after the Dundee Utd disgrace and Motherwell is some ‘hiccup’

I trust the gaffer to get it right. We have an experienced manager who has got us punching above our weight and will do so again.

St Mirren manager Stephen Robinson: "There weren't enough people who took responsibility. 

Hearts didn't have to beat as we beat ourselves. 

"We lose possession of the ball for the first goal. When we're in control, in good possession of it, we lose it too easily and then from there, we didn't respond to that. 

"We made stupid decisions, poor decisions.

"So, poor decision-making all around and not enough people stood up to be counted and take responsibility, and that's not acceptable. 

"The performance is not acceptable and it's on me, arguably one of the worst performances or the worst performance since I've been here, and it's not acceptable.

"It's been the way the last eight or nine games. 

"Make no mistake that people think we should be a top-six side. 

"No, we shouldn't, we haven't earned the right for that. We need to go back to basics. We're not defending well enough. We're not putting our heads and feet in where it matters to win tackles. We're not playing the ball forward when we should play it forward and taking responsibility."

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It's a hiccup, not a terminal illness. 

Calm heads required, not pants wetters.

We have lost 7 out of the last 10. Lost more goals than most and we are creating nothing. Not even a shot on goal today. 

So when does it go from hiccup to cause for concern? 

Calling it knickerwetting is nieve. We can't go around saying all is well whilst the ship is burning. 

We are in bottom of the table form. Now is time for Robbo to earn his corn. 

38 minutes ago, Torfason said:

You came back from 2-0 down at HT at Parkhead to get a draw, despite 14 minutes of injury time and you’re posting a really weak wind up here. @Jacksgranda have a word please, these young ones don’t know how to celebrate. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I was just about to write the same. 

FWIW, Aberdeen's point at Celtic Park was the only bit of good news all day. Like most non-OF fans, I would love to see another team win the league or at least split the cheeks.

Ach, I was tempted to go to Ibrox next Sunday...but not sure I can be bothered, now. 😔

49 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Many “backup” keepers are essentially that in the modern game with a huge bench to choose from.

Not expected to push for a starting place.

Used for training and emergency cover in games. 

Following the home game against Brann I thought we had an excellent gk. Since then I’ve been concerned at his inability to deal with high balls and he looks like he has a mistake in him. 

9 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I was just about to write the same. 

To be fair it will probably take a few more months before the humiliation at our hands over the past couple of seasons starts to wane.

Good to see we still live rent free in it's head.

Excellent result for them today and good to see Jamie McGrath with a couple of assists. They should be thanking Jim Goodwin for that.

33 minutes ago, Lex said:

We just got pumped 4-0 by a team bottom of the league who hadn’t won a domestic game all season tbf. 

That after the Dundee Utd disgrace and Motherwell is some ‘hiccup’

We are all disappointed but we have lost two of our defensive summer signings who would play every game when fit. Yes things are not great given it time Robinson has not become a bad manager over night. Wilbur is 100% correct.