The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

8 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Wikipedia (I know, I know) says you've signed this lad:

https://www.svenskalag.se/UpsalaIF_U19/profil/1151403/mustapha-jobe?seasontypeid=4&year=

Whilst it's undoubtedly nonsense, I sincerely hope you win the treble if you have.

Most St Mirren fans would prefer Stubbs went for his brother, Outofa.

1 hour ago, JamieThomas said:

Wikipedia (I know, I know) says you've signed this lad:

https://www.svenskalag.se/UpsalaIF_U19/profil/1151403/mustapha-jobe?seasontypeid=4&year=

Whilst it's undoubtedly nonsense, I sincerely hope you win the treble if you have.

That would be a real blow.

10 hours ago, Stevie88 said:

Obviously the board just don’t trust Stubbs. Clearly offered Kenny Miller a decent deal to come in but now players need to move on first before anyone else can be signed!

Jim McIntyre to be appointed by the end of September is my prediction.

Whoever replaces Stubbs will have a near impossible job with this shite & unbalanced squad.

Gary Caldwell 

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I don't think we've finished our signing. Dependent on the money available to Stubbs I would not be surprised to see some free agents make their way to us in the next couple of weeks.

The approach that worked so spectacularly with players such as Victor Genev and Darryl Duffy.

30 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I don't think we've finished our signing. Dependent on the money available to Stubbs I would not be surprised to see some free agents make their way to us in the next couple of weeks.

No more money for Stubbs I’m afraid.

32 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Set in stone?

I feel that despite the fairly unimpressive signings, that if he was to come to the board asking for some wages to be freed up for a player that would most likely improve the squad, he'll get it.

That's being kept for the next manager. How can we pay out £75,000 and said player can't make the team ? You want more money for him ?  Money will be set aside for our next manager and pay off. 

6 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

That's being kept for the next manager. How can we pay out £75,000 and said player can't make the team ? You want more money for him ?  Money will be set aside for our next manager and pay off. 

If Heaton turns out to be a decent player, and from all reports he's played well in the Reserve League (as has a couple of his other signings), then £75k may seen like a bargain. We just don't know at the moment. Did Stubbs say he would go straight into the team? I don't think so, and lots of other teams have signed up similar players "for the future".

I think we have two issues; one of morale and one of resources. The morale can't be solved by money, it can only be resolved by the manager and the players coming together to work out their differences on and off the park and agreeing on a way to play that suits both. As for resources, I think we all agree that we need a commanding figure in that defence. Baird is not that man, and neither is Kpekawa. I'm not saying they never will be, just that they are not now. If a suitable addition was available on a free, meaning just wages to cover, and they looked a decent bit of business then I think there would be wiggle room in terms of where the budget line is drawn.

29 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

If Heaton turns out to be a decent player, and from all reports he's played well in the Reserve League (as has a couple of his other signings), then £75k may seen like a bargain. We just don't know at the moment. Did Stubbs say he would go straight into the team? I don't think so, and lots of other teams have signed up similar players "for the future".

I think we have two issues; one of morale and one of resources. The morale can't be solved by money, it can only be resolved by the manager and the players coming together to work out their differences on and off the park and agreeing on a way to play that suits both. As for resources, I think we all agree that we need a commanding figure in that defence. Baird is not that man, and neither is Kpekawa. I'm not saying they never will be, just that they are not now. If a suitable addition was available on a free, meaning just wages to cover, and they looked a decent bit of business then I think there would be wiggle room in terms of where the budget line is drawn.

Think they have only played two games won one 5-0 and got gubbed 5-1

11 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Sure, the point I'm making is that we don't know yet whether the 75k for Heaton is good business or not, and we won't for some time.

You're right and I really hope he does develop into a player. £75k seems a lot of money for St. Mirren to pay for 'one for the future' though.

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

Completely agree.

The money paid suggests that Stubbs thought, and probably said, Heaton would go straight into the team. I can't see the board making those funds available for a guy who could be a regular in 6 months or a season's time. I would imagine £75k would have been a season's wage for a decent player at this level.

I realise that there's a lot of guess work here but I can understand why the board aren't prepared to give him any more money. Stubbs needs to prove these guys can do a job before the board lets him sign anyone else.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

I realise that there's a lot of guess work here...

Which is sort of the problem, not that I'm taking a shot at you - just saying that at this point everyone is working on guesswork.

At the time I don't think Stubbs said Heaton was a first team starter, but I also think that he did nothing to dispel the notion that we were paying money for a player that would go straight into the first team. If Kpekawa for example had come in and hit the ground running, this chat about Heaton would be secondary, but now there is an issue regarding money spent/available then it's obviously going to get mentioned.