The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Seems the Gallagher deal is a decent move for both parties. He was mostly being used off the bench so if we get someone in to compete that's a bonus. 

Still think we look light in defence and midfield. 

Club have said defender is signing today subject to a medical.

There's been talk of Bedeau but that makes it seem like it is a free agent. I'd like if it was Fitzwater.

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not at all. We got a fee for him from the exact same guy who had to pay him to leave Aberdeen 12 months ago.

I'd say that's the opposite of a reject.

You mean 12 months after we were willing to pay to get rid of him, he’s dropped down to the championship to get a game? 

Doesn’t sound like his career is on the up tbh. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

You mean 12 months after we were willing to pay to get rid of him, he’s dropped down to the championship to get a game? 

Doesn’t sound like his career is on the up tbh. 

Where he goes is of no concern of mine or any other Bud.

You asked if he's a St. Mirren reject.

We brought him in, got 2/3rds of a good season out of him, decided to let him leave with a year left on his contract once it became obvious he wasn't cut out for this level of football and instead of paying him off, got a fee for him and turned a profit on a near 33 year year old centre half.

By no description is that a 'reject'. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s a reject :lol:

Yer arse. You've picked a tiny part of what I've said and not taken the specifics into account.

Injuries and time caught up to him - if he'd hung about for another season stinking the joint out like Considine is doing in Perth, you'd maybe have a point but you won't find many St. Mirren supporters saying his overall contribution was anything other than very positive for us.

The reason for leaving was one of those things that happens with some players in their 30s.

2 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I’d assume if we did sign him, we’d sign Strapp as a left wing back rather than a central defender. However, he’s an inch taller than Man Utd’s Lisandro Martinez

Aye and Messi is smaller too.

Martinez is a superstar. STRAPP not so much, and not so good in the air.

It was suggested he could play LCB as cover for us. I stated otherwise, and stand by that. 

I don't think he's as good as Tanser at LWB either, so I'm hoping we sign someone better.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yer arse. You've picked a tiny part of what I've said and not taken the specifics into account.

Injuries and time caught up to him - if he'd hung about for another season stinking the joint out like Considine is doing in Perth, you'd maybe have a point but you won't find many St. Mirren supporters saying his overall contribution was anything other than very positive for us.

The reason for leaving was one of those things that happens with some players in their 30s.

Ok let’s compromise. Not a reject, shuffled out the door with a pat on the head? 

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ok let’s compromise. Not a reject, shuffled out the door with a pat on the head? 

That's actually probably relatively accurate.

Decision was made that time is catching up rather than lack of ability and sent on his way with best of wishes.

I do find it funny that Goodwin actually shelled out real money for him. What a difference a year makes.

2 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Fitzwalter will be fine .  Think he could do a job . Good experience I Scotland   ticks all the boxes .

Ability wise I'd think that Fitzwater would be a decent signing.

However, as he's without a club, I would doubt that he's "match fit".

We've got enough of this category of player in the squad and i'd rather we signed a player, of a similar calibre, who is match fit ready to go.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Ability wise I'd think that Fitzwater would be a decent signing.

However, as he's without a club, I would doubt that he's "match fit".

We've got enough of this category of player in the squad and i'd rather we signed a player, of a similar calibre, who is match fit ready to go.

Get your point . But you would think  25 year old who has pksyed 30 plus games for the last three seasons would have a good chance to get up to speed very quickly .

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I'm thinking we might go 442 because we will  have moved Gallagher on and Dunne is injured so our options are kind of restricted . 

Even last night he broughtt on young Kenny to maintain his formation.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

He'll save a fortune on diesel, that's for sure.

I mean, I know it's not Norway, but it's some commute to be doing Dundee to Motherwell/Paisley several times a week for the last few years.

The bizarre thing is he lived in Aberdeen when he played for us 🤣

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He also stays in Dundee, so it makes perfect sense for the move in terms of logistics and game time. No complaints about his time with us and wish him all the best.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s a reject :lol:

You’re missing the crucial points here.

It was Willie Miller who called him an Aberdeen reject and Gallacher then scored to beat you.

If and when a Saints commentator labels him a Saints reject and he then comes and scores the winner against us, then you have a valid point.

🤡

Edited by Captain_Sensible