The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Certainly can’t argue with that.

Equally I doubt you could argue with…

Played - 3

Played well - 1

Played dugshite - 2

Not too be contrary TPAFKA, bit I’d say we were okay away to Motherwell for the most part…….it’s sometimes more about style of play, we give up lots of possession in area’s that don’t really hurt us.

I felt the ref gave Hibs a wee helping hand yesterday .

A few  moments pretty much highlight this .

In one instance in the first half , Olusanya turns his man has is shirt pulled goes to byline and a foul is given against him when the Hibs player should have been booked .

Second half  , Saints break , Manderon gets the ball in the centre circle and Hibs last defender goes through him with a tackle . Referee ignores , when it should have been a booking.  

McMenamin booked for first foul in opponents half within a minute of being on  .

Small robs defender trying to usher ball out and is just about to cross and ref sees imaginary foul . 

Other times Hibs players just fell and got free kicks which allowed Hibs to have sustained pressure. 

All these wee decisions helped Hibs get a grip on the game . 

That said a few Saints players had off days and Baccus made a difference when he came on . 

Hopefully we get a wee break from the ref on Saturday. 

9 hours ago, AW saint said:

Disappointing result. Our defence has been watertight until tonight. Did we get selection wrong? 

Need to keep chin up and win on Saturday. Not easy down there. Our away form could still be better. 

I think last night proves that we really should be starting Baccus.

There's a reason why he's first pick for Australia.

With Gogic in defence we need Baccus in midfield.

I like CBM, but he's a different type of player.

I also thought it might have been time to give Dunne a start in place of Taylor. For me, Taylor has started having a bit too many streaky moments, which I think last night may have cost us a goal and certainly on Saturday, put us under needless pressure.

Anyway, we live and learn.

Hopefully the management team can gee the team up for what will be a very difficult game against a Killie team, who we really haven't had much success against in recent times. We have the players to do it, but we need a really good game plan.

No disgrace losing a cup tie at Easter Road but it's now the acid test come Saturday. Hopefully we can regroup and get a result at Killie and not slip into the routine of a slump after a good run (that said that hasn't been quite as pronounced under Robbo). Big game Saturday in relation to the season as a whole.

As daft it may sound, it's recognising your flaws during a good run that can make you stronger.

I think we tried to do things a little differently last night that never quite worked out and some players had an off day. 

If this exit from the cup has learned us a lesson and allows us to regroup and continue the great league form, then great. 

Anything from Rugby Park on Saturday, would set us up well for the home game the following week.

29 minutes ago, btb said:

One of SRs first game in charge was a 4-2 defeat to Hertz in the Scottish Cup, on Wednesday night we lost 4-2 to Hibs in the League Cup - have we made any meaningful progress in the  intervening 18 months?

Are you on the windup? Finished top 6 last season and currently in 2nd place. Duh

5 hours ago, Friskysteed said:

Are you on the windup? Finished top 6 last season and currently in 2nd place. Duh

We were in the Top6 when SR arrived the year before, we're only 6 games into the season and have yet to play both cheeks.

If you look at the LC this season the outlying result was Killie beating Celtic - the semi-final line up is Rangers and the 3 big city team so that's pretty much the natural order. I'm happy with where we are now, currently the best of the diddy clubs, we're harder to beat than under JG but we're not really much better up front.

I just found the two cup results both at the QF stage with identical scorelines interesting and the question relevant -duh1

I thought we played decently, couple of defensive errors really cost us, Hibs are a good team with good players.

Hopefully we bounce back with a result against Killie, we have had a fantastic start, we cant expect to win every game.

Its a shame the 4th went in but hopefully it wont have cost their heads to drop.

39 minutes ago, btb said:

We were in the Top6 when SR arrived the year before, we're only 6 games into the season and have yet to play both cheeks.

If you look at the LC this season the outlying result was Killie beating Celtic - the semi-final line up is Rangers and the 3 big city team so that's pretty much the natural order. I'm happy with where we are now, currently the best of the diddy clubs, we're harder to beat than under JG but we're not really much better up front.

I just found the two cup results both at the QF stage with identical scorelines interesting and the question relevant -duh1

It is interesting, but the quality in our team, squad and mentality has gone up a lot since back then.

We have far better options all round in most parts at least.

11 minutes ago, MarreZ said:

I thought we played decently, couple of defensive errors really cost us, Hibs are a good team with good players.

Hopefully we bounce back with a result against Killie, we have had a fantastic start, we cant expect to win every game.

Its a shame the 4th went in but hopefully it wont have cost their heads to drop.

Baccus should have started, that much is obvious.

We need to give Hibs credit too, going forward they have excellent options. 

Annoyed? Yeah, was a a decent chance to get to Hampden but Hibs seemed to have turned a corner under the new manager. I don't think we played at our full capability either but I can't be too angry at the manager or players who have performed beyond expectations so early in the season.

We can't and won't win every game, and as the Motherwell fans said, it's only the diddy cup anyway 😉.