The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, pozbaird said:

….only if those who are ‘diverse’ are the proper, qualified, and right people for the job. Personally, I don’t give a flying fcuk if anyone at the club, in any position, is any particular colour, religion, sexual orientation, or was born in Inverclyde, but I don’t agree that we should shoehorn someone into any position to tick some sort of box.

It needs them to put themselves forward. I'm sure if they did they would be treated equally but the days of the "press gang" are long gone.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

It needs them to put themselves forward. I'm sure if they did they would be treated equally but the days of the "press gang" are long gone.

The NFL introduced something known as the ‘Rooney rule’, whereby clubs must interview a certain percentage of ‘diverse’ candidates for coaching / management vacancies. The intent was sound, but as time has went on, when a senior role comes up, it is clear that certain candidates have zero chance of getting the role, but they tick the box that needs ticked. That is no use when it gets to that state of affairs. Also, in regard to the NFL, they always say they need to get more people of, let’s call it ‘diverse’ backgrounds into coaching / management positions. Fair enough in my book, if they happen to be the best candidate. Last time I looked, the makeup of player squads across the NFL was 72% of the players were black. Imagine if someone said ‘we need to ensure there are more white guys in teams, we need to bring in a new rule’. 

Anyway, if it’s a SMiSA vote on something, no-one will be told who the candidates are, they’ll simply be voted in at midnight on a dark winter night and announced at 2am…. 😜

27 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

….only if those who are ‘diverse’ are the proper, qualified, and right people for the job. Personally, I don’t give a flying fcuk if anyone at the club, in any position, is any particular colour, religion, sexual orientation, or was born in Inverclyde, but I don’t agree that we should shoehorn someone into any position to tick some sort of box.

Edit to add - not suggesting that’s what you are personally advocating. Just in general terms, appoint the right person for the job.

I agree with this, totally opposed to any positive discrimination bollocks. I think the issue is are people from more diverse backgrounds applying, and if not why not? Of course, we dont really know this as SMISA dont tell us, and we also arent trusted to have a proper election to vote them in.

20 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I agree with this, totally opposed to any positive discrimination bollocks. I think the issue is are people from more diverse backgrounds applying, and if not why not? Of course, we dont really know this as SMISA dont tell us, and we also arent trusted to have a proper election to vote them in.

You have been positively discriminating against someone who you say doesn’t live in the country. 😂 

I’ve been working for global companies since the mid 80s. I’ve worked successfully with people in different time zones for all those years dealing in secure transmissions. 

The recent improvements in video conferencing negate the need for face to face meetings. 

For all we know the new board member has a holiday home in Ferguslie Park. 

Let’s give the new guy a chance - he does seem to have good experience with his work with Debra plus a good network of contacts. 

According to the Debra website:

“Jim has been involved with DEBRA in various capacities for over 25 years. He has been a trustee since 2011; served as Treasurer and Chair of the Finance, Risk & Audit Committee from 2014 to 2019, and became Chair in October 2019. He brings financial and business expertise from a 35-year career in the financial services industry to the Board.“

Jim has a long track record in financial services at senior management level. 

35 minutes ago, Molotov said:

You have been positively discriminating against someone who you say doesn’t live in the country. 😂 

I’ve been working for global companies since the mid 80s. I’ve worked successfully with people in different time zones for all those years dealing in secure transmissions. 

The recent improvements in video conferencing negate the need for face to face meetings. 

For all we know the new board member has a holiday home in Ferguslie Park. 

Let’s give the new guy a chance - he does seem to have good experience with his work with Debra plus a good network of contacts. 

According to the Debra website:

“Jim has been involved with DEBRA in various capacities for over 25 years. He has been a trustee since 2011; served as Treasurer and Chair of the Finance, Risk & Audit Committee from 2014 to 2019, and became Chair in October 2019. He brings financial and business expertise from a 35-year career in the financial services industry to the Board.“

Jim has a long track record in financial services at senior management level. 

While his location is IMO an issue in carrying out his responsibilities as a board member, the biggest issue is the lack of transparency over who else applied and the lack of a vote. He may be a good candidate, but he got on the board through a coronation, not an election.

Edited by Hendo

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

The NFL introduced something known as the ‘Rooney rule’, whereby clubs must interview a certain percentage of ‘diverse’ candidates for coaching / management vacancies. The intent was sound, but as time has went on, when a senior role comes up, it is clear that certain candidates have zero chance of getting the role, but they tick the box that needs ticked. That is no use when it gets to that state of affairs. Also, in regard to the NFL, they always say they need to get more people of, let’s call it ‘diverse’ backgrounds into coaching / management positions. Fair enough in my book, if they happen to be the best candidate. Last time I looked, the makeup of player squads across the NFL was 72% of the players were black. Imagine if someone said ‘we need to ensure there are more white guys in teams, we need to bring in a new rule’. 

Anyway, if it’s a SMiSA vote on something, no-one will be told who the candidates are, they’ll simply be voted in at midnight on a dark winter night and announced at 2am…. 😜

Let's not forget Pie's take on diversity...

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

While his location is IMO an issue in carrying out his responsibilities as a board member, the biggest issue is the lack of transparency over who else applied and the lack of a vote. He may be a good candidate, but he got on the board through a coronation, not an election.

Have you written to SMISA to express your concerns? Anytime I’ve written to them I’ve received a quick and detailed response. 

Those concerns are valid.

But unless you contact them or bring it up at an AGM or regular meeting then it won’t change. 

When the first elections took place to promote a SMISA member to the club board at the outset there was more information on all the candidates including a video message from the people applying.

I’m sure SMISA did write something about the changes but I’m not sure where to find that information. Sorry. 

6 hours ago, Molotov said:

Have you written to SMISA to express your concerns? Anytime I’ve written to them I’ve received a quick and detailed response. 

Those concerns are valid.

But unless you contact them or bring it up at an AGM or regular meeting then it won’t change. 

When the first elections took place to promote a SMISA member to the club board at the outset there was more information on all the candidates including a video message from the people applying.

I’m sure SMISA did write something about the changes but I’m not sure where to find that information. Sorry. 

I have raised it with SMISA - I think the change came in when Kibble came on board.  I think the only way to change it is to submit a motion to the AGM - I enquired how to do that but didnt receive an answer. 

Edited by Hendo

On 16/10/2023 at 13:01, Arch Stanton said:

Gogic out in front now in the "capped while a Saints player" stakes with 12.

I'm counting 17 since he came on loan to us the beginning of last year: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-gogic/nationalmannschaft/spieler/225393

Baccus and Greive the closest behind on 9 and 10, respectively.

44 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

90 minutes for Baccus, Greive 67, Strain 45, McMenamin 5.

That's 2 full games for Baccus on his international duty. At least the travelling has just been to London and back. Their games next month will be in Australia and Algeria.

Joys of being box office 👍🏻