The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

4 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

I think yer right on that one. Now you say it I remember they signed Bain instead. He was always being signed as 3rd choice for Celtic so in terms of ambition it was poor. On the other hand if someone wants tae pay me ridiculous thousands of pounds tae do nothing… i’d sign for them tae 

I suppose you've got to be confident in your own ability, that you can go to a bigger club and kick on. Bain ended up playing a lot of games for Celtic to be fair.

Just now, houston_bud said:

I suppose you've got to be confident in your own ability, that you can go to a bigger club and kick on. Bain ended up playing a lot of games for Celtic to be fair.

I think i would be right in saying the only reason Celtic were in the market at the time was their number 2 ex Dundee United boy (Siegrist ?) got injured ?

Just now, D-Fens Foster said:

I think i would be right in saying the only reason Celtic were in the market at the time was their number 2 ex Dundee United boy (Siegrist ?) got injured ?

Nah, it was because Craig Gordon got injured shortly before the window closed.

This was from 31st January 2018:

Screenshot2023-06-28at20_41_34.thumb.png.c2824da022169d63d3090722201b4f83.png

4 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Just back to the new strip

Its supposed to be paying homage to 79/80

Who out of the current squad would get into that 79/80 ASC team?

Very few I would imagine….Strain most likely?

IMG_2941.thumb.jpeg.19c1ddb982fa20423a4bc59bc201e03e.jpeg

To think we ran a huge chunk of that season without Zico.

IMG_2942.thumb.jpeg.4270ba4b23084244d925495437ecd85d.jpeg

IMG_2944.jpeg.4e00fe02b074b0be6dd5df346f2d813a.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Most of them.

Football has evolved to a ridiculous degree since the 1970s and 1980s that if you lifted any of our players currently and fired them in teams from that era, they'd be comparative ultra athletes.

If you took the ASC team in their pomp, brought them to modern times and applied today's training standards and tactical understanding and asked which of them would get into the side today, that'd be a different story.

24 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’d pick 4 of the current lot:

Thomson

Strain, Gallagher, Copland, Munro

Stark, Gogic, O’Hara, Weir

Bone, Somner

Jimmy Bone actually played in midfield that season but I’ve put him back up front in place of Alan Logan to fit in O’Hara

Had McDougall been fit then I’m afraid O’Hara would have to drop out

50 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If you took the ASC team in their pomp, brought them to modern times and applied today's training standards and tactical understanding and asked which of them would get into the side today, that'd be a different story.

Fully on board with that. Thought it was a given.

I remember the same comparisons being made by the old geezers regarding Lapsley and Bryceland on the NB back in the mid to late 70s. 

I’m now one of the auld geezers who still remembers McGarvey’s, Stark’s & Fitzy’s first team debuts.

Just don’t ask me to remember any of the goals our star striker Brophy (at home) scored last season. 😂 

I don't care if it pisses Carson off no end, the bottom line is the club must not sell him to a league rival. While it's almost guaranteed that we will be bottom six if we persist with Hemming, we should not be benefitting others while we are hobbling ourselves.

This is his stats from last season, you can see he was emptied by McInnes fairly early on, and never given another chance other than against Ross County later on and decided to let 3 in on the day. In fact, probably Killie's best run came just before and after the split, a time when McInnes did not play Hemming.

ZVli3lH.png

(click image for full size)

Injured for the first 6 games, then threw in 12 goals over the next 9, and here is a very typical Hemming f**k up...

The goal is about the 1 minute mark. It demonstrates perfectly how poor he is, complete failure to organise his box, follows a defender into the 6 yard box while having no chance what so ever of getting the ball, with a flailing half hearted swipe at a ball that was already going in the goal. Was Hemming to blame for the goal, no Killie's defending was horseshit, but Hemming made a bad situation worse.